All reviewsthe reservehard worklife changing experienceafrican bushamazing experiencetwo monthswonderful placemakes you feelstayed longerwild animalslearning experienceexciting thingsfeel at homefood chaina lot of funbeautiful settingcommunal atmosphere
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I spent 4 weeks at Askari and it wasn't long enough! Doing conservation in Africa had always been my dream and being at Askari was like living the dream. I could easily have stayed longer. Set on the amazing Pidwa wilderness reserve Askari WCP plays an integral role in the reserve maintenance. The accomadation is great as it the food which everyone takes it in turn to cook. Driving to and from different activities and just bumping into a hugh varity of wildlife is something very special. Having an elephant walk straight past the vehicle is an experience that cannot be matched! The staff are great, so knowledgeable and I learnt loads. They obviously love what they are doing and they're enthusiasm is infectious, even moths were exciting! They really make sure that you understand what you are doing and how it will have a positive effect on the reserve and its wildlife. I couldn't recommend Askari more highly, I had the most incrediable experiences there and will definitely go back if I get the opportunity!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Askari WCP is an amazing project located in an absolutely stunning reserve! The staff are very friendly and welcoming, they also know and teach you so much about the reserve and the bush. The accommodation is great and all the services provided make it very luxurious for a volunteer project. The food is provided and is very good, also taking your turns to cook is fun :) Apart from that the activities all meaningful, varied and well organised, so they keep you entertained during the day. The best part is driving around the reserve and seeing all this beautiful nature and incredible animals! If you're contemplating going - don't hesitate, it's worth it!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Askari for me was a life time dream i always knew would be breathtaking, however i never imagined the whole experience to be so amazing. The staff are so welcoming and friendly, not to mention experienced in all the outback training you need to be safe and see the most beautiful animals. This trip isnt justy for animal backgrounded people like myself i cannot imagine anyone not loving Askari; i plan to go back either this year or next depending on work commitments as its such a breath of fresh air from everyday life. The accomoadtion is what i would expect from a 3star hotel, all meal are provided and its nice to take part and help out with the tasks set out by staff.
There arent the words to express how greath this place is, what you'll see, learn and love so my best advice is just go!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Hi all, my name is Roberta and recently I had the opportunity to enjoyed with Askari. The programme is really amazing, not just because you get so close with the biggest animals like lions, elephants, Rhino, Hyenas, Leopards, Cheetahs (amazing!)...but because I learnt a lot about them and I had the opportunity to make a difference to help in their conservation. More and more I respect them and the other kind of life. Africa is really cool and Askari gave the opportunity to enjoy my time there the best way as possible. I would like to say many thanks for all the staff that helped me a lot and shared their knowledge and made my trip a special time in my life.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Not only was this an incredible place to stay, it was also a perfect place to learn about conservation.

The Askari programme was very well structured. Everyday, one learnt something new and saw something amazing.

Every person I met went out of their way to make sure I was getting the most out of my time in South Africa. The people running this programme are great.

The lodgings are superb and perfectly set in the wilderness. The food was delicious and varied.

It was a very difficult place to leave, but I hope I will get a chance to go back someday. I strongly recommend Askari to everyone I meet.

This programme offers a very different experience to other volunteer programmes that I have heard about. It was set up for the purpose of teaching people about the complexities of conservation and to offer people a chance to see animals in the wild as they should be. It is a not run as a business for the purpose of making money. A price cannot be set on time spent at Askari.

If you are thinking about volunteering on a reservation to work with animals, you could not possibly find a better place to volunteer than at Askari.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo