“Sun, sand, signs, service but not much swimming” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calatagan
Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Calatagan
Manila, Philippines
“Sun, sand, signs, service but not much swimming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Getting to Stilts was an adventure itself. Although most of the major roads going to the resort were well-paved, the dirt road upon entering the resort exuded a rustic feel -- a lot of fire trees, bouganvillas, yellow bells were in bloom and the resort was designed to have that relaxed-beach vibe. We were only here for a day trip and from reservations until check-out, we were treated very well by the staff. We reserved via email, paid through the bank, was assisted en route to the beach hut that we rented, even the food which we ordered from the restaurant was brought to us at the beach. I loved the little sayings all around the beach, painted on wood. They also provided chairs and tables by the hut and (maybe because there was an event prior to our arrival) tents were set up by the beach, lessening the glare of the sun. The only downside is the very shallow beach which isn't much fun if you wanted to swim. There is a large enough swimming pool though. A good alternative to the beaches of Laiya, San Juan, Batangas. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank weddingfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

It's expensive, but to have your own hut on the water is a delight. Nice food, nice people, and very nice beach. Purely for a chill out vacation, but there are some things to do like water sports and quad biking. Nice experience, but more than 2 nights will be dull I think.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank deanwarner99
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are planning to have a summer getaway this summer, and I was searching for resorts with the lowest rates. I came across a lot of resorts, starting with the famous ones til' the cheapest rates. Stilts may not have been one of the famous or cheapest, but its view easily catched my attention. Not only that, good comments from travelers, as well as replies of the owners to negative comments, gave me a feeling that this resort is really good. So, we gave it a try.

We traveled by bus in pasay, though for future travelers, I recommend them to took a van, behind metropoint in pasay, because it was a really quite far. From the bus with costs 152/person, we took a jeep costs 38/person, though the tricyle in Sto. Domingo church to Stilts is only 35/person, riding the van would be more convinient.

I was suprised how welcoming the staffs are, even though we came way to early to check in, they accomodated us with "welcome refreshers", Kuya Bong even carried our bags for us. We stayed in Davao Cottage, it was a beach front cottage, it was only good for two, so don't book this room if you are 3. The room was clean enough, and surprisingly, this is the first time that I slept peacefully aside from my own bed.

The food was surprisingly delicious! We had our lunch there, we had lechon kawali and for dinner we had sisig, grilled liempo and halo-halo. The complimentary breakfast was so goooood also. I can't get enough of their food that's why we decided to have lunch in their restaurant on our last day, we had sisig and grilled liempo again, cause' it was so so so delicious. Kudos to their cook!

When we arrived it was already low tide, so yes there were a lot of sea grass, but it was not that bad, we saw a lot of sea creatures that we're not aware of, there was something like a snake, though the staff said they're not dangerous, still it was scary. Yes, there are also jellyfishes, I'm not sure if there are a lot cause we only saw one, and it's blue! Good news is, the jellyfishes don't sting (said the staff), we also saw an octopus! and a few sea urchin, just be careful. Since, we can't swim since we're scared, we swam in the swimming pool. Lol. The next day, it was already high tide and the rocks we we're standing the day before are now knee high, so it was safer to swim since we're quite far from the sea grass.

The way they take care of the sea is quite appealing, so if you're an adventurous type of person and you want to see a lot of creatures swimming with you, you should try stilts. What's good in this resort is that it's private, you can count with your fingers the number of guests. It has no television, which is good if you want to be away from civilization. The resort also uses "human nature" products. Our overall stay is really memorable and worth the price. From the security of the resort, friendliness and accomodation of the staffs, room quality, the beach and the facilities are way high from what I expected.

I will recommend this resort to the people I know who loves adventure and food. We will definitely go back, for the food, view and for the service. Sorry if I am being redundant, but really, their food is much more delicious than some of those in the malls.

To the management: we just want to reccomend, but we respect whatever your reason is, maybe you should reserve a part of the sea where you can grow and preserve nature, and a part where the guests can freely swim without the seagrasses, it's not that we don't like the presence of the sea grass, we were just scared to step on something or destroy something. Haha, just a reccommendation though.

Stayed May 2013

Room Tip: The aircon in davao room is quite shaky, I get awaken by it, I thought the wall will be destroyed be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rica_Gtch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went here for a day tour only with my family since most of the resorts were fully booked as it was Mother's day plus a long weekend and we only had a 1 week of preparation so we had no time to look for a different resort.

We chose this resort as the pictures posted on their site were great. It made it look like El Nido because of the cottages but it wasn't the same at all. It's of course nothing compared to El Nido but was still a nice resort.

It was also far. We drove from Manila to Cavite to pick up our cousins which took us an hour and took us 3 hours from there to the resort. We already passed by a lot of resorts that we previously checked which made us say that we should've just chose those resorts instead.

We were welcomed by the staffs and the staff who I talked to on the phone when I had the reservation. His name is Eugene. He was nice and accommodating. Well, everyone were. Which was great!

It was a huge resort but with only 1 adult pool and 1 kiddie pool which wasn't enough for a LOT of people but of course swimming at the beach was also great. The pool was already dirty that I didn't dare open my eyes for under water pictures. And again it was already crowded with other guests so you won't really be able to swim.

We only rented a hut as all of the rooms were fully booked. It was near the pool which was great for my cousins, beside the reception which was great when we need something, far from the bath rooms which was really frustrating because you have to pass by the pool and the restaurant to get there but there was a near rest room (toilet only), near the restaurant but we brought our own food, near the parking area which made us not comfortable leaving our stuffs unattended. There was no outlet to plug in some stuffs like to charge the battery of your phone or camera but you can go the reception but you have to stay there while charging or just leave it there which was ok. We also had to ask them for additional tables and chairs as it wasn't enough for all of us and our things as we could not place our stuffs on the floor as it wasn't cemented and was full of red ants.

The restaurant has a nice Filipino feeling because of the decor and furnitures. We tried to buy some sodas but it was really expensive. 1.5 Coke was Php150 which was just Php43 at the store (store was 5-10 minute drive from the resort). We didn't buy anything at their restaurant as we brought our own food and we paid Php100 per pax for the corkage fee.

The place was kinda noisy as there were lots of guests. By the beach was a group of guests having a team building I think and they had were having a kareoke session which was really loud. Since they were by the beach, we were hesitant to go there to swim as they were a group of guy guests and we were a group of girls which made us uncomfortable so we had to go to a different part of the resort which was a 5 minute walk from our cottage.

The beach 1st part of the beach had a lot fishes which was great but since we were uncomfortable there, we had to go the other side. It was low tide so the water level was just below waist even if you are already far from the shore. There were lots of sea weeds or sea grass. The color of the sand was different from the color of the sand at the shore so did they just import the sand from somewhere? I don't know. I didn't see a single fish there which was really frustrating since my cousins were all geared up for snorkelling so we went to the side part of that sea almost under the cottages but there were lots of mosquitos or the "kiti-kiti"! WTF right?! and then we saw the reason for those kiti-kiti... garbage floating or let's say already subsided.... Reason we felt really itchy! We really wanted to stay by the beach but after seeing those trash, we didn't have any choice but go back to the pool. People should stop throwing their trash anywhere!!!

We wanted to experience kayaking or other activities but was really hot so we've decided to wait until 3pm but to our surprise 3 pm was the "low tide" time. The sea weeds or sea grass litterally were showing and the part we were taking pictures and had our "tampisaw" session had no water anymore. Nice! no more kayaking.. So again, we went back to the pool.

So, our time came to prepare to go home. It was 5 pm but there was no one asking us or telling us to leave which was great! The bath room was again far from our cottage. There were 3 shower rooms which had really short doors. If you stand outside the door and like a foot taller than the door, you will be able to see the body of the person inside and the only available shower room was near the main door so everyone who goes out would see me naked. lol

Asking me if I will still go back? Probably, yes. If it's not peak season and if there are available rooms for us to stay.

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

A very rushed weekend brought me, my family and my office to stilts. Apparently, in Manila it is VERY hard to get reservations from a resort on a mothers day + long weekend or any summer weekend for that matter. So when I heard from Ms Amor, I grabbed the opportunity and booked 2 large over the water cottages for us.

My first impression when we entered the resort was good. There was a home-y feel, a little reminiscent of Bohol bee farm when you enter the pathway to the front desk. The staff assisted us well and accommodated to us promptly.

The rooms were very spacious, as advertised the Large cottages can accommodate a min 7 people generously, by "pinoy" standards a large cottage can accommodate more than 15 (like what the cottage adjacent to us did). But for me, I like my space, so the 7 people in our cottage stayed there comfortably. The large cottage had 1 full bathroom, 1 toilet only, 1 shower only: which was good, for big groups people don't have to wait in line for the bathroom to be free. Interior wise, the house was freshly painted, nice clean white walls, simple. Some doors and windows needed attention tho. The sheets, linen and towels were all very clean (and fairly new) a lot cleaner than other "boutique hotels" I have been to. Oh, and its secure. I was worried at first because of the number of people going thru the floating cottages, but the management put several staff by the bridge way to direct people, who aren't checked in, to pathways that they could go to.

Beach & Pool: the beach was white, with a some hint of gray sand. I'm not sure if they imported the sand there, maybe that's why gray sand comes out. Sand grain Isn't fine, so if your looking for powdery soft sand this isn't the place. But overall, the sand in the beach was a mix of shells and corals not that painful to the feet, I guess its just Okay. Yes, you will see alot of seaweeds, its more of sea grass since there are alot of fish that live there. the water is clean. Its swimmable water, its more of a I-need-aqua-socks-to-be-braver-because-of-the-fish kind of water, you can even see schools of fish living under the cottages. It would be nice to bring some snorkeling gear and snorkel by the cottages. The pool, was a pool, it wasn't bad. just like any other pools you'll see, it was clean too.

Food: You have 3 options with their food, you can either have it served in your cottage or eat it in their dining hall. Food quality was okay, nothing great but not bad. Price wise I say they're just like Manila pinoy food price (Php 150-200/ order) the 16" Pizza we ordered was a little over Php 500. The last option is to bring your own food, where you pay corkage fee. the last option would be great for large groups although the only kitchen appliance the cottages provide is a ref and a water dispenser.

The only thing I didn't like about their prices in the resort whether on food or lodging is that the Vat was exclusive. So you had to add the taxes still after (I'm lazy to add I want to know the full price right away).

Also, the resort gets a little too noisy (I hope its just on weekends). I chose the resort because of the fact that you can be unplugged from technology (no tv, computer etc). It was unfortunate that they allow groups to bring Videoke machines to their cottages. I don't want to be a grouch but I want to go there to rest and relax, the sound of the water is really enough for me. I wasn't expecting Loud music and noisy neighbors (good thing the cottages were a little far apart). Our cottage was a little near the beach and by 6:00 am loud music was already playing :(

Bottom line: if you want to relax, get away from it all book a room here, preferably on a weekday where you can really rest. Weekends, this place goes crazy, I have talked with one of the staff and they get as much as 2000 pax for 1 company outing (ya that's not what i want to see).
I'm glad we stayed here, definitely we will be back for more... when there's less people.

Room Tip: Floating Cottages are the best if you want to rest. You even get to swim right outside your cottage...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sunkissedrow
Laguna,Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stilts Beach Resort is not your typical beach resort. Swimming is not the only enjoyment, one could avail in this resort. It has atv as well. For guests who likes to go on a food trip, you are definitely going to be satisfied.

If you like fun, food and adventure? Go to Stilts beach resort. It is going to be worth your while...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank makeupsavvy
calafornya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not worth it for the price. They charge you for a frackin' volleyball!
Water is very rough. Can't get it there and enjoy it w/o being swept into the sea.
Staff tried their best tho, but it just can't cut it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank emaliCalafornya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calatagan
Coral Beach Club
Acuatico Beach Resort & Hotel
Canyon Cove Beach Club
Canyon Cove Beach Club
#2 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!