“Will definitely go back... FOR SURE”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calatagan
Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Calatagan
Manila, Philippines
“Will definitely go back... FOR SURE”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

A very rushed weekend brought me, my family and my office to stilts. Apparently, in Manila it is VERY hard to get reservations from a resort on a mothers day + long weekend or any summer weekend for that matter. So when I heard from Ms Amor, I grabbed the opportunity and booked 2 large over the water cottages for us.

My first impression when we entered the resort was good. There was a home-y feel, a little reminiscent of Bohol bee farm when you enter the pathway to the front desk. The staff assisted us well and accommodated to us promptly.

The rooms were very spacious, as advertised the Large cottages can accommodate a min 7 people generously, by "pinoy" standards a large cottage can accommodate more than 15 (like what the cottage adjacent to us did). But for me, I like my space, so the 7 people in our cottage stayed there comfortably. The large cottage had 1 full bathroom, 1 toilet only, 1 shower only: which was good, for big groups people don't have to wait in line for the bathroom to be free. Interior wise, the house was freshly painted, nice clean white walls, simple. Some doors and windows needed attention tho. The sheets, linen and towels were all very clean (and fairly new) a lot cleaner than other "boutique hotels" I have been to. Oh, and its secure. I was worried at first because of the number of people going thru the floating cottages, but the management put several staff by the bridge way to direct people, who aren't checked in, to pathways that they could go to.

Beach & Pool: the beach was white, with a some hint of gray sand. I'm not sure if they imported the sand there, maybe that's why gray sand comes out. Sand grain Isn't fine, so if your looking for powdery soft sand this isn't the place. But overall, the sand in the beach was a mix of shells and corals not that painful to the feet, I guess its just Okay. Yes, you will see alot of seaweeds, its more of sea grass since there are alot of fish that live there. the water is clean. Its swimmable water, its more of a I-need-aqua-socks-to-be-braver-because-of-the-fish kind of water, you can even see schools of fish living under the cottages. It would be nice to bring some snorkeling gear and snorkel by the cottages. The pool, was a pool, it wasn't bad. just like any other pools you'll see, it was clean too.

Food: You have 3 options with their food, you can either have it served in your cottage or eat it in their dining hall. Food quality was okay, nothing great but not bad. Price wise I say they're just like Manila pinoy food price (Php 150-200/ order) the 16" Pizza we ordered was a little over Php 500. The last option is to bring your own food, where you pay corkage fee. the last option would be great for large groups although the only kitchen appliance the cottages provide is a ref and a water dispenser.

The only thing I didn't like about their prices in the resort whether on food or lodging is that the Vat was exclusive. So you had to add the taxes still after (I'm lazy to add I want to know the full price right away).

Also, the resort gets a little too noisy (I hope its just on weekends). I chose the resort because of the fact that you can be unplugged from technology (no tv, computer etc). It was unfortunate that they allow groups to bring Videoke machines to their cottages. I don't want to be a grouch but I want to go there to rest and relax, the sound of the water is really enough for me. I wasn't expecting Loud music and noisy neighbors (good thing the cottages were a little far apart). Our cottage was a little near the beach and by 6:00 am loud music was already playing :(

Bottom line: if you want to relax, get away from it all book a room here, preferably on a weekday where you can really rest. Weekends, this place goes crazy, I have talked with one of the staff and they get as much as 2000 pax for 1 company outing (ya that's not what i want to see).
I'm glad we stayed here, definitely we will be back for more... when there's less people.

Room Tip: Floating Cottages are the best if you want to rest. You even get to swim right outside your cottage...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sunkissedrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Laguna,Philippines
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stilts Beach Resort is not your typical beach resort. Swimming is not the only enjoyment, one could avail in this resort. It has atv as well. For guests who likes to go on a food trip, you are definitely going to be satisfied.

If you like fun, food and adventure? Go to Stilts beach resort. It is going to be worth your while...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank makeupsavvy
calafornya
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not worth it for the price. They charge you for a frackin' volleyball!
Water is very rough. Can't get it there and enjoy it w/o being swept into the sea.
Staff tried their best tho, but it just can't cut it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank emaliCalafornya
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed in one of the Small Cottages and the room look OK. There is an air conditioner only in the bed room so if you stay in the living room or if someone also sleep in the loft is very HOT!. There was hot water, refrigerator and drinking water dispenser. No TV in the room. The resort is below average, the swimming pool is very dirty. The food is terrible. We came on April and the beach and the water are full with Seaweeds so you can’t even enter to the water. Compared to what you pay I do not recommend coming to this resort!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Amor and Mina H, Owner at Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi!

We will take your comments as a challenge to keep on improving our services.

We'd just like to clarify two things:

(1) We decided not to put TVs in the cottages because we want guests to just relax, explore the resort and bond with one another. A lot of our guests have loved this no TV policy because it encourages them to follow their bliss at Stilts.

(2) We've been advised by the Bantay Dagat not to remove the seaweed and the sea grass because these are important areas or habitats for marine life. We do our best to be responsible earth and water angels and we encourage our guests to be earth and water angels also. Some guests have even said that walking on the sea grass makes them feel better while others make it a point to check on the sea grass on their return visits.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

It was a marvelous experience we had...and most importantly, our mother (74 y/o) was satisfied happily. A real recommendable place for a precious family time... We left Stilts with gladness in our hearts. We felt the passion and sincerity of the management, the staff, and the crew.

Yes, there are a few hiccups... Like old closet, dusty drawers, the refrigerator stinks like there's a spoiled fish... We stayed in Palawan cottage, btw. Anyway, the friendliness of the employees makes you forget these small glitches. But I do hope, the management look on this small stuff, before it get worst.

I made the reservation through the internet. The reservation process (with the assistance of Ms. Iya dela Torre, Sales Associate) up to checking out, very efficient...no hassles!

To the friendly people of Stilts, keep up the good work.... Thank you, & MORE POWER!!!!!

PS: We didn't get our complimentary drinks as we arrived. ;-)

• Stayed April 2013
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I would like to commend the staff of stilts for a very well kept place. Was there for a day tour, the whole place very well maintained.
Shower and rest rooms are clean, except for some women from the company who had their outing there left their shampoo and soap sachets and and didn't even care to throw their trash in the trash bins. Staff always make it a point to check if supplies such as toilet papers and liquid soaps are available in each cubicle. There were even restrooms near the parking area.

Beach area was clean also, highly recommended even for small children, calm waters. But my daughter lost interest to swim at the beach during the afternoon because of the jelly fishes.

Each open hut has its own sink so its very convenient for those who would like to bring their own food though you have to pay for a corkage of 100 php per head. Snacks i think are allowed. Food was very reasonably price, in fact its cheap for around 150 to 350 php per viand and taste was ok not outstanding, its like eating in ordinary grill restaurants in manila. I suggest that if you'll be in small group don't bother to bring food anymore so you could really relax.

Contrary to other reviews, service was excellent, they will try to accommodate all your requests. From the time you enter the resort until you say good bye you will be satisfied.

We will definitely go back and will stay overnight.

Thank you stilts fro a very unforgettable experience, the happiness in my daughter's eyes until now is priceless!

Room Tip: for those going on a day tour, shower and restrooms in that area are a lot cleaner than those near t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Sitting on the deck of our cabin on stilts, looking out to sea, the wind-ruffled water slapping against the pylons, the thatch rustling, the coloured flags slapping the flag poles, I am luxuriating in a foot spa and reflexology massage, while the girls have facials and Swedish massages with the bedroom doors flung wide to let in the breeze.
Our air conditioned cabin is officially large enough for 3, but there is a double and single bed in the large airy bedroom, a sofa bed in the living room and a single bed on a mezzanine level under the roof. There is also a water cooler with a large enough bottle to last the weekend, a real blessing, and a frigde twice the size of the average mini bar.
‘Stilts’ is located on twenty four hectares at the end of the Calatagan Highway, Batangas facing the South China Sea. It is a 2.5-3 hour drive from Manila, longer if you stop for lunch in Tagaytay. The coast road takes you into the middle of nowhere, and the final lap along a cracked concrete rural lane past goats and carabou is a puzzling approach to a beach resort. Yet we finally emerged into a graveled car park set amidst colourful flower beds, only a short walk to the sea. Here, rickety wooden jetties weave between the half dozen or so cabins nesting above the waves, pretty coloured glass windows in green and yellow and blue are framed by white weatherboard and palm leaf thatch.
The gardens around the pool, are shady and green, blooming with tropical flowers.The trees, walls and flower beds are also decorated with painted signs full of homilies, song lyrics and pointed quotations from the rich and famous.
Meals were served in an open air pavilion restaurant above the sea. The menu, aside from the wood oven pizzas and barbecue, consisted largely of regional dishes with a heavy emphasis on coconut milk and chili: Bicol Express, tasting reminiscently of green curry; tilapia (a local freshwater fish) cooked in coconut milk; banana hearts and pork served in coconut milk; sinigang, chicken adobo, lechon kawali, sisig and stuffed squid. Soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and banana ketchup featured as ever-present condiments. Halo halo, turon (fried banana spring rolls) and leche flan add a sweet finishing touch.
There were plenty of activities available: 21 hectares to be explored on foot, on horseback or by quad bike. Snorkelling, kayaks, pedal boats or bancas were all available, or simply floating just off-shore on a raft with a cocktail at sunset.

Room Tip: Try to book a cottage over the water.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Alexandra G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calatagan
Coral Beach Club
Villa Del Faro
Villa Del Faro
#3 of 5 in Calatagan
Acuatico Beach Resort & Hotel

Been to Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!