Chateau de Challain
Ibis Styles Segre(Segre)(Great Value!)
$80
ibis Styles
$94
$92
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
$54
ibis Budget
Hotel au Poisson d'Argent(Le Mesnil-en-Vallee)
$94
Chateau du Plessis Anjou(La Jaille Yvon)
$162
$155
Hotel La Ferriere(Chateaubriant)
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfairytale weddingdream come trueconsummate hostmaking us feelloire valleyspecial thanksan amazing jobfelt like royaltymagical experienceevery cornercoach housesalmontrain stationmodern amenitiesfor instanceonce in a lifetimechateau de
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just got back from my 2nd trip to Chateau Challain. My first was back in 09 and since or last visit they have done some amazing things. Added some new suites and did a 2 bedroom suite in the gate house which looked great. I am in the construction field and just looking at how they did things here without the taking away from the original look was amazing. There was only 1 bathroom in this Chateau when it was built back in 1852.( I believe that date is correct ) now most rooms have one. If you needed anything you just ask anyone and they would help you out. Most of the staff spoke French and English which is very helpful to you when you don’t speak French! My wife and I stayed a week and really enjoyed or time. We got a chance to meet some other guest and really had fun time sitting on the back porch looking at the grounds and enjoying some great wine. At $20 euro a bottle you cannot beat the selection. Nice little town outside the gates with a Bar ( CHEZ GUY ) Great cold beer. Chateaubriant is a bigger town about 20 minutes away.
I will bring my wife back in the next few years!! Thanks to all of the Chateau's staff for a great week and to Cynthia for all the time spent with us showing us around. P.S. Look at the website for some great SPECIALS. http://www.chateauchallain.com/

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed February 4, 2013

From the moment I arrived until the moment we departed I felt so welcomed and at home. Our stay in the castle was four amazing days I will cherish for eternity. This included amazing foods, fellowship, entertainment and impeccable decorations per event. Our wedding could not have been more perfect and everything I ever wanted and more! Cynthia is amazing and not a single detail went unnoticed; ask her anything and she will make it happen!! This truly is a story book setting and I know our entire party had a wonderful time! Looking forward to the day we return to your beautiful chateau.

Genessa Gerber The Woodlands, Texas

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Genessa
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Nearly a year on, our short stay here is still the highlight of our trip across France. Driving up to the Chateau took us into a different era - where we stayed for our entire stay. Staff were friendly and provided us with a informative and fabulous tour. Fabian, our host, was funny and very knowledgeable of the Chateau, the area and its history. Don't hesitate - just book, you will love every minute of your stay. Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anne-Marie M
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had been in France for five weeks staying in various mid range types of accommodation and stayed here as a treat. It was fantastic, it was exceptional from the outside and our room was brilliant. Fabian was great, he cooked an exceptional dinner and showed his passion for the property and area as he showed us around. He helped link our conversation with a French couple staying there (our French was quite limited) the perfect host. Zeus walked every where with us and made the chateau feel like a living home and not just an exhibition. We were made so welcome and felt really valued, breakfast down stairs in the kitchen, priavte dinner, for us everyting was just great, we left feeling very special. We would go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John W
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband & I stayed here during our honeymoon. We only spent one night here but it was an interesting experience to say the least. While the chateau is one the most stunning & beautiful places I have ever seen, our one night here started off on the worst foot. To start, let me say that the chateau is located in a very small town, where almost no one speaks English. This is also not at all like a traditional hotel where it’s open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, with staff on hand at all times. With that being said, my husband & I arrived on a cold rainy Tuesday afternoon only to find that the large main gate was locked. We spent an hour driving & walking around the town, in the rain, trying to find a way onto the property or at the very least, someone to help us. After an hour, a gentleman pulled up to the gate & attempted to help us. Although he didn’t speak any English & I only speak minimal French, he understood that we were locked out of the chateau & needed to check in. He tried calling the chateau number a few times but there was no answer. Luckily, he knew a chateau employee & was able to call that individual to come help us. Fabian arrived a few moments later & informed us that he didn’t have anyone booked to stay at the chateau tonight, guests were scheduled to arrive 2 days later. After looking at my confirmation email & the deposit I’d already paid for my reservation, he realized his error & rushed to get everything ready for us. This involved unlocking the gates, unlocking the entire chateau, turning on lights, opening the shutters, turning on the heat, etc. Since no one bothered to mark down our reservation, there was not one single soul on the entire chateau premises. Fabian did everything in his power to make the remainder of our stay enjoyable, though. His customer service was exceptional. After the stress of thinking we were never going to get into the chateau, I wanted a glass of wine to drink. Luckily, Fabien had some for us to enjoy immediately. The chateau itself was amazing! We did not experience any of the cleanliness issues other guests have mentioned on this site. However, we stayed in a Tower room & I do think there is a bat somewhere in one of the windows in the bathroom area as there were very creepy, bat-like noises coming from there all night long. The grounds were beautiful; both the dinner & breakfast Fabian prepared for us were wonderful; our room was breathtaking. The whole chateau is something straight out of a movie or book. However, had it not been for the gentleman who stumbled upon us that afternoon, we would never have been able to stay here. We would have been forced to drive 3 hours back to Paris & find another hotel (one that’s actually opened everyday, with staff actually there!) for the night. We read reviews prior to booking this place & one couple mentioned arriving to check in only to learn their reservation was never saved or marked down. Turns out they booked through a third-party. We thought booking directly through the chateau website would help us to avoid having this issue. Clearly, that’s not the case. Furthermore, Fabian admitted to us during our stay that the owner tried to remind him a week prior that he had guests staying at the chateau on that Tuesday afternoon yet he thought she was incorrect & ignored her reminder. After all this was said & done, we checked out the next morning to learn we’d be charged for the bottle of wine Fabien gave us & the full amount for the dinner he prepared. It’s not that I have an issue paying for this but I felt some service recovery was warranted, seeing as how we were first greeted by a locked gate, next greeted by being told we had no reservation with them, & last told that the owner of the chateau remembered our reservation but not the actual employees there. My husband has a few years of Marriott hotel experience & I have a few more years of both Marriott & Hilton hotel experience (I currently work for Hilton) and I can assure you a situation like this would NEVER have been handled this way! At the very least, a complimentary bottle of wine would have been provided (we had to pay for ours!) or a discount on a meal offered (we had to pay full price, $150!). I understand I’ve written a novel here & I’m sorry. I just want to caution future guests who might stay here. Just because you book through the website & just because you pay a deposit, does not at all mean you will actually have a reservation here. This experience certainly put a bit of a damper on our honeymoon experience in France. I can assure you, our experience was definitely not worth 600 euros!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank KLewis1
FranceReka, Owner at Chateau de Challain, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

I want to apologies for your arrival not being what it should of been. You bring to my attention a need....to must have guest give an approximation of their time arrival in the days before.

For Chateau Challain is a home not a Hotel and we have normal needs and once in a while to make a quick trip may be needed yet you are the only one home so a Note on the door is all we can do.

I realize this was not the situation you were not expected yet you had a reservation. This is a human error... mine! I forgot to write it in the book for when I had received it it was during the preparation for a wedding on that day. I had call to remind my staff member a few days before so I am unsure what happened so I want to offer you a refund. I am very sorry for your experience and I think you can see from others this is not the normal practice in our home.

The reason we do the B&B is so all can experience the atmosphere of an era gone by. We want you to feel at home in our home even if we are not able to be there. Thanks Cynthia