“The Chateau was fabulous, everything we expected and more!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau de Challain

Chateau de Challain
London, United Kingdom
“The Chateau was fabulous, everything we expected and more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a wonderful and very special weekend at Chateau Challain, one that will be remembered by all !

The Chateau was fabulous everything we expected and more, when we first arrived fabian who was a gem, showed us around all the rooms in the chateau, meticulously designed . such detail and each one different and special, everyone loved it !

I know we are the first to use the spa room , the ambience, staff and treatments was all great

The meals , table decor, cake , everything had been organised to perfection and really, such a glorious setting ......

Look forward to coming back !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We had our 40th birthday party at the castle. I booked without seeing it in person and it far exceeded our expectations. Our party was given free run of the whole castle and grounds which was just wonderful given we had a number of children with our group. The staff were all very friendly as well.

I would however like to make a couple of comments about the lack of communication and food.
I made my initial booking thought http://www.simplychateau.com a booking agent in the UK. I was at no stage given any information on the castle and how it ran from the booking agent. I just made the booking and paid the bill then was handed over the castle for the rest of the organisation. Sadly this created some problems. I was told breakfast was not included then on arrival at the castle I was told it was so I let all my guests (30 People) know we did not have to self cater for breakfast which btw was just lovely and served in the castle kitchen WOW. Sadly this was not the case and I was presented it a bill at the end of our stay for breakfast. This was due to staff not communication with each other about our booking arrangements or with me.

Also many months out from our stay at the castle I organised thought the castle staff to have our birthday party catered for by them (I did not want to cook on my birthday). It was a simple affair, as we wanted to have a BBQ on the lawns. My husband and I paid 90 euro per head and expected to have a meal fit for a king. The meal provided was no better than hospital slop, sad but true. They provided a pasta salad and pork mixed with pasta. This was served cold with some cut up bread and butter. I had expected a number of different salads, green, pasta, potato. Etc and the pork to be sliced from the BBQ with crusty breads nice sauces and in general a banquet BBQ. It was absolutely terrible and many of our guests commented. Another company provided the cake and that was great thank you to them. I was of course very disappointed as I had been looking forward to the day for over 2 years and it was let down very very badly by the terrible meal. My husband and I did complain to the staff and they did reduce the bill however it was not good enough. Given the amount of time they had to sort this out and it was a once off party for us that did not live up to what I would have expected for the amount of money they charged.

For the rest of the stay our group self catered and for 80euro per adult we ate like kings and drank like fish. This included 3 lunches and 2 dinners.
I am of the opinion that the staff made a mistake with our party and their selection of the caterer. I hope they never use this caterer again.

If you do book a party and have the castle staff look after the food I would recommend that you get a full menu and how it will be served and as much detail as possible so you don’t spoil you day like we had ours.

Saying all that and as much as I was annoyed by the food provided for the party the rest of our stay was just fantastic. I would still go back to stay with them but next time I would take more control.

Good luck to the team at the castle and thank you for the beautiful accommodation. All our guests left very very impressed.

I have rated the castle as very good and not excellent due to the BBQ provided. If that had been up to standard I would have rated the stay as above excellent.

Jen and Matt

Room Tip: All the rooms are just fantastic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jennifersinclair
Philly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed in the Chateau for a wedding and had a great time. I felt like royalty.
Cynthia was great as was the whole staff! We had fireworks over the pond. Looking to return for our 25th anniversary this fall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian D
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I chose the Chateau for our elopement and it exceeded our expectations. We loved the privacy and very friendly service. The property is beautiful. It was the perfect countryside location for our special day. The suites are decorated with exquisite taste. Very comfortable and romantic. The meals were amazing. A truly talented chef. The owner and staff are very professional and dedicated to making guests happy. We loved our stay at the Chateau.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Luling, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My nephew rented the whole chateau for 4 nights for his incredible May wedding! Everyone in the wedding party stayed in the chateau and 2 couples stayed in the carriage house. Most of the rooms had bathrooms but some shared bathrooms. Which is what we did; but the bathrooms are luxurious and we never had a problem with timing. All of the rooms are large and decorated with period furniture and beautiful antiques. Don't worry, the bathrooms are 100% modern and georgeous!

When we arrived, we all couldn't believe how beautiful and spectacular, even better than the pictures! We felt like honored, royal guests with all the attention Cynthia paid us and gave us the run of the place. Each morning some of the group went running and Zeus, Cynthia's mellow dog would escort each one. The countryside of France is so beautiful and the grounds at the chateau are no exception. So peaceful with lovely trails and areas to just kick back and relax.

Cynthia is amazing! Talk about multi-tasking, she is the queen! Everything was perfect and the wedding was magical! I can't imagine any other place as perfect as this. This was a once in a lifetime experience that should not be missed!

Room Tip: Ask to get a room with the bathroom inside.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

We want to thank Cynthia and all her helpers for such a wonderful wedding!

The location was exquisite.

The service was warm and welcoming.

The arrangements for the wedding exceeded our already high expectations.

All our friends and family members had such a wonderful time and will never forget the occasion.

We cannot thank you enough for all the hard work and thoughtful and kind preparations. With love, L, P & R

Room Tip: The Royal Suite cannot but knock your socks off!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

We had the opportunity to stay here for a week with over twenty friends and new friends. An amazing place, words cannot describe this truly amazing place. All the staff were fantastic, would definately recommend this treasure for that special occasion. Add this one to your bucket list - miss you Zeus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Challain-la-Potherie
Chateau de Cop Choux
Chateau du Plessis Anjou
Chateau du Plessis Anjou
#1 of 1 in La Jaille Yvon
Hotel Le Prieure des Gourmands

Been to Chateau de Challain? Share your experiences!