“Superb”

The Stables
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely late tea today. Service and food were superb and my daughter's fish and chips looked out of this world. Thoroughly recommended

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed April 26, 2018

Poor customer service
none of us will be returning
Owner is a disgrace
could do with some skills on how to speak to people paying to run your pub.

Date of visit: March 2018
2  Thank Kitty X
Ann M, Owner at The Stables, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2018

I am sorry that you have found us to be NOT DOG FRIENDLY. however your review is vague.
When did you visit ? what was the problem ? why am I a disgrace? Was it definitely me that spoke to you?
Whilst serving food there are designated areas for dogs with the exception of guide dogs.
(This I think is fair as not all of our customers are doggy people.Sometimes dogs that come in are wet and as we all know , wet dog is not the nicest of smells to have next to you at the best of times let alone whilst your having your meal.)
We do not allow dogs on the seats or tables.
We also request that dogs are kept on a lead.
As a consideration to other customers we also ask that barking dogs are taken outside .
We always have water bowls and dog treats for our furry friends .All of our staff are animal lovers and we love to see well behaved dogs in our little pub. I am sorry that this has fallen short on your idea of dog friendly.

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

Took the family for Sunday lunch to celebrate our sons 18th Birthday. Excellent service, great food and a lovely atmosphere. Thanks to the staff for helping with the cake, (and embarrassing him by joining in with a rendition of Happy Birthday) and a complimentary drink for the birthday boy!! We all had a great time. Thanks so much!!

Reviewed April 19, 2018

Once we found where it was (there's no external signage), we walked into a characterful stone-walled pub and were promptly welcomed by a cheerful member of staff. Our drinks order was taken straight away and we were given menus - the prompt service was maintained throughout the visit.
The starter of haggis, neaps and tatties was a huge portion, and full of flavour, particularly thanks to the thick peppery sauce that accompanied it. The steak and ale pie was packed with meat, the roasties were perfectly cooked with a sprinkling of rock salt and there was a plentiful side portion of fresh veggies to go with it. A huge main course, especially after the heavy starter, but it was beautiful and I was gutted that I couldn't finish it.
My friend had the roast pork dinner "special" and it looked just as good.
Two starters, two mains and two large soft drinks, and the bill came to a remarkably low £30 - can't be faulted in any way.

1  Thank Ian K
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Attended The Stables Bank Holiday Monday 2/4 at 2pm. Probably our 12th-15th time, previously loving the food, drink and ambience.

Arrived to about a 60% full restaurant, no-one behind bar, or in sight. Waited 5-10 minutes for a member of staff, who showed us to our table however disappeared before asking if we wanted a drink. Others were waiting aimlessly at the bar, we waited until it cleared to get up and order two drinks – our first of three staff searches and get ups across the visit.

We ordered prawn spaghetti and salmon risotto, the former having never being ordered by us before, the latter on every occasion that I have attended – as said, 12-15 times…yes I am a creature of habit!

Prior to the food arriving, we required another 2 drinks. Again, no-one serving the tables, more interested in clearing empty ones. My husband got up and got 2 more drinks at the bar, which runs a bit like an Aldi till – they serve when they see someone, and run off to do on the floor duties when there’ s no-one. Sadly that’s where the German efficiency comparison starts and stops.

The food arrived and was plonked down – no asking if we wanted any additional condiments, just plonked, and off the waitress dashed again.

My risotto was the tiniest portion in my 12-15 trips. The salmon was decently proportioned, but there was literally a handful of rice – the cheapest part of dish. It was also dry and it was abundantly evident that it was just was left over with a salmon placed on i. It ate it, it tasted nice, but it was like a kids portion and absolute disgrace compared to the portions of food being brought out as mains around us.

We waited for the dishes to be cleared…and waited…and waited…finally, our empty dishes still in situ, my husband got up and looked for a member of staff to pay the bill, and someone came with it and the card machine.

Not once were we asked if we had enjoyed the meal either during or after, so I had to point out that the portion was ridiculously small and fairly offence to its £9 tariff. The waitress dashed off to the kitchen, where she came back saying that the salmon was the same weight as a standard portion! Yes…there was nothing wrong with the salmon love…the rice equated to like 10 grains! It was dry and not creamy like a risotto at all to boot!! The prawn spaghetti, whilst we were on, tasted of nothing but garlic and was swimming in sauce, no sign of a “creamy” element as described, was like garlic tomato juice.

So we paid. In full. When clearing the table the waitress who served (plonked) the dishes down said that I “should have said something at the time”… TO WHO???? Three times my husband had to find a member of staff! And what about any element of service that asked ME if the meal was ok?! Seemingly if you have a problem in this place, you have to flag it yourself! Even in Nandos they ask you if the food is ok! You don’t have to find someone to tell if not!

I honestly don’t understand what went wrong today, but when food and service are below par in a place that you have previously loved AND recommended to people, then I think something was array. A new chef? Staff absence making the bar situation and service off its game (not that the bar situation is ever great!)

I’m hugely put off after the whole experience , especially the defensive handling of my feedback, I did not seek a price discount, thus did not expect to have to hear my comments countered with the ridiculousness on the weight of salmon. Arborio rice is NOT a luxury commodity and can also be cooked well instead of 2 spoons in a portion, microwaved to death!!

11  Thank Glen W