“Highly recommend”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Very reasonable prices, staff are great and the room was very nice. I was here on business and will definatly be staying here again. Easy access off the a1 and lots of on site parking. Bar and Thai restaurant below but I was late arriving so didnt get chance to try tgem out.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Visiting relatives newly moved to the area,this looked ideal for one night and hosting six for dinner. As it was late December wasnt worried about being close to main road,in fact after a 200 mile drive that was a bonus!
Very warm reception from the owner's son at 3.45 and were pleased to be offered a free upgrade to the Bridal Suite,which was on the main road side but with a great view and little noise through the double glazing! However it was FREEZING! Contacted reception and were told heating came on at 4.30. In December! Was told the heating would be activated immediately and was offered electric heater from reception to keep us alive. When heat did come on it only reached halfway up the radiators,which obviously needed bleeding.The room was a good size,stylish six foot bed,with a jacuzzi type bath in the large,interestingly tiled bathroom. Two further drawbacks,no toilet roll holder so contortions were needed to access the items behind you and a kettle with a very short cable which meant crawling about on the deck under the worktop to plug it in!
Now the good bit. We obviously went down (good lift) to the lovely warm attractive bar well before our guests arrived,drank real ale (now on) etc and chatted to the friendly bar staff and the lady owner. We had already established that we could order from the bar menu in the Thai restaurant if anyone wanted to.
Staff were very helpfull and efficient,especially when finding the best lit table as one of the party is visually impaired,the food was very good the drink prices very reasonable(Muscadet sur lie £16)
and although the party were still seated long after the other diners had left,there was no pressure to move.
Funny business at breakfast, writing out your order on printed forms but that was adequate also.
Will stay again

Room Tip: I surpose the main road side could be noisy if windows were open in warm weather(could happen) but t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

stayed 3 nights room was clean breakfast was not hot and portions small also ate at the thai restaurant again portions very small and not cheap food was ok staff very helpfull and friendly has a bar but it was very quiet the few locals that came in were very friendly

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip, chose hotel due to how near it was to the venue. Its a very basic hotel one of my colleagues was checked into the same room as another who had already left all his things in there. Glad this was the case an not a complete stranger being checked in to the same room!

Room was next to the main road which was very noisy all night (could invest in some double glazing) Ironing board is affixed to the wall right next to the TV and massively awkward to use. Shower leaked all over the floor and straight through to the carpet when use (Not just in my room either) which soaked everything in the bathroom.
Bed was terrible I didn't sleep at all! I felt like finding a homeless person and asking them if they wanted to swap for the night.

Thai restaurant downstairs - My colleagues said the Thai menu was nice. I ate from the bar menu and had steak and chips with mushroom sauce and salad, what I got was a piece of meat that im not quiet sure what animal it came from, Chips and mushroom gravy with salad. Needless to say I didn't dare eat it.

If you have a better option elsewhere, go for it

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank allayupma
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review. The mix up was mainly due to the guest reservation though booking.com being reserved under the same name for all rooms however the issue was resolved straight away, and in no case could a guest outside of your party have checked in to their room. All of our rooms do have double glazing and if you had wanted a stand alone ironing board then one is available at reception.

I have since checked the issue with the shower and there was a slight leak at the side of the shower head which has since been replaced.

The room which you and your colleagues paid for was £36.00 per night which included large, king sized bed & 32" flat screen tv's. To be perfectly honest if you can find a better value for money room, I would also say go for it as I believe in term of price, amenities & quality we are the most competitive in our area.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Bit like a Travel Lodge, but a bit more character. Wi-Fi excellent and quite fast. Walls a bit thin. Room good size, but smelt of smoke. Attached Thai restaurant excellent. Single room was atwin with 1 bed removed - spare headboard looked odd.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I paid £41 for a single room with breakfast. Hotel is very basic and run down next to a busy main road. The room is ok but my bathroom was filthy. Shower needs a good deep clean and the sink was totally cracked in more than one place. I ate in the Thai restaurant. The food was ok but portions very small. For an hour I was the only person in the restaurant.

Ok if all you need is a bed for the night to break your travelling.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review. As you did state you choose our basic room package. We do have other rooms which are available for extra includeing our double and superior rooms. Our bathrooms are going to refurbishment as we speak however a busy summer has slowed down progress.

If you are in the area again I would love to show you one of these rooms.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I visited recently with a friend to have lunch in the Thai restaurant. The welcome was friendly from the lady in the deserted bar.
Drinks were obtained and we were informed that we could go into the restaurant when we were ready.
On entering the large restaurant we realised we were the only two people there! The place was empty.
We chose our starters & main courses which arrived in a timely manner. Very small portions however.
The BBQ chicken I had was 75% meat - 25% skin & gristle. Not great at all. When I mentioned this to the waitress she told me that "Thai people eat everything..." It's a pity I'm not from Thailand. I've eaten Thai food on many occasions and have never been served chicken skin before. Most unappetising.
Maybe there's a reason that the restaurant remained empty during our entire visit?
Disappointing.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Colin B
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review and dining with us under the groupon deal we ran a few weeks ago. Our chicken in cooked in the skin so as not to dry out. It is also possibly the tastiest part of the dish infused with our marinate. I'm sorry that this dish wasn't too your taste and if your in the area again I maybe able to recommend something more to your liking

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton-le-Spring
Seaham Hall
#2 of 10 in Sunderland
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!