“Great Value for Money”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Working up North for a couple of days I did a search for accommodation and found the Highfield at half the price of anything in the area at £35 a night. What's the snag? There is none! I did arrive on one of the hottest days of the year and enjoyed a pint sat in the sun. No real ale but plenty for the lager drinker and the John Smiths I had was as good as I've had. The rooms are well decorated, nice hot bath, the shower is one that links to the bath taps so the secret is to get the temperature sorted running into the bath then change to the shower setting. I didn't eat there but what I saw looked palatable with bar snacks and the Thai restaurant on site. Plenty of parking with free wifi that didn't need a password. Was impressed that a fan was put in the room as well. Will definitely return if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Booked this after being tempted by the Thai meal, followed by bed and breakfast at the adjoining hotel. For £99 I have to say this was well worth it.

The place itself has the hotel on the upper two floors with the ground floor split into a Thai restaurant and an adjoining bar.

The bedroom was clean and well prepared. The odd thing here and there not brilliant but nothing to spoil the stay unless you are one of those contributors who oozes negativity and puts photos of even the slightest thing wrong in this site.

The meal was very nice and served by friendly and very efficient staff. Likewise the breakfast the next morning. A good choice and although I have had bigger breakfasts it was still more than adequate.

A big plus is the very reasonable bar prices for before / after you meal, no different to standard pub prices which I think is rare for a hotel these days.

So all in all very pleasant hassle free night. The place its self is borderline in need of a modernisation so dont book here if you like things shiny and new or you'll end up dissappointed, I certainly wouldnt refer to this place as dated and tired as some have.

The staff were all very friendly also as a plus point

Room Tip: If the view from your room is important then request a room facing the A690 ie front facing which gi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel was recommended by a colleague. An ideal business traveller's hotel, this is my second visit to the Highfield (wished I'd found it before) and sadly probably my last as the company I visit has closed. This hotel ticks all the boxes - Good parking, choice of either Thai or Bar food (if you're here for a week you may not want Thai every night) and offers good value for money with more charm than a chain. Friendly helpful, welcoming staff and a bar that bustles. There's the obligatory widescreen television in the bar but the programmes shown are a balance so you don't suffer constant sport (read football) or constant pop music. I had found the Thai restaurant rather disappointing on my last visit but I'm a real Thai food fan so I decided to give it another go. This time I was visiting mid-week and what a difference. The staff were welcoming and the food was everything I'd hope for - Spicy, fragrant - Very good. I do wonder whether the chef had run out of essential ingredients from a busy Saturday when I last dined here on a Sunday. The restaurant seems to do special deals on price (seem to remember early starter meals so worth checking, you don't want to miss out by a few minutes). Sadly, probably my last visit here but went out an a high, many thanks to all at the staff at the Highfield!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here on the second half of a weekend after our first choice was double booked......turned out much better then the other one, but that was really the only plus point. Other than the very friendly staff on reception, we didn't find many positive things.
The large bed (two singles pushed together) was very hard & uncomfortable, the decor in the room dated & the breakfast..........well what can I say! Not worth the extra £10.
Coffee was just awful, orange juice warm and cooked breakfast was pretty tasteless. The black pudding was stodgy, the poached egg well overdone & the tomatoes out a tin!
Cheap and cheerful stay - stay only if you want a base - 30 minute bus ride from Durham - and don't bother with breakfast.

Room Tip: Probably best with a twin room - twin beds pushed together is NOT a large kingsize or double!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you for your review, hopefully i can address some points raised in your post. The two singles are zip and link beds. Like many hotels we use this system to increase flexability which inturn allows us to keep our prices down. I will note that the extra £10 for breakfast is based upon two persons which we belive represents excelent value.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall, the Highfield Hotel was clean and comfortable. The room was a good size, and the king-size bed was very comfortable. The room was great value, and overall it was a pleasent stay. However there were several small things that left me feeling less than happy with the hotel overall.

The staff, although pleasent, were hard to find and very overworked. The hotel requires you to hand in your key when leaving for the day, which is fine in the morning when there is someone on the desk; however involved scouting the hotel to try and find someone to return your key in the evening. One afternoon I was handed the key to someone else's room instead, making me serously doubt the security of the rooms in general.

The bed was made each morning and new towels provided, however I think this was the only cleaning done in the room. The empty soap packet remained on the bathroom sink for three days, the floors didn't look vacuumed, and there was no spare toilet paper - meaning I had to run down to reception to find someone to find more toilet paper when it ran out.

The food in the Thai restaurant was lovely, and highly recommended, however breakfast was rather limited and not always freshly cooked.

Overall, the hotel is cheap and cheerful, and (with a bit of work to fix these issues) is a good place to stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
charlee_limratana, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you for your review, hopefully I can address some points made in your post. We appreciate that the key system can sometimes be a pain as our reception staff also help in the bar on a night. Also, we are a relatively small hotel and as such having someone sitting at reception at all times would be impossible, although we do strive to have a person around during usual checkin and check out hours. However we are due to be switching to a key card system within the next few months which will rectifi this problem.

I will adress the comments about the rooms being made up with the chamber staff however they are cleaned every day, although not as throughly as upon checkout.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Highfield Hotel is an enigma. On the one hand it is cheap and cheerful - I paid £41 for bed and breakfast and stayed three nights in a comfortable room. However there are lots of annoying things which could easily be rectified to make this a much more enjoyable place to stay. There was rarely anyone on the reception desk and I always had to find one of the bar staff to return my room key after I had been out, and also when I wanted to check out.
There is a large bar area with lots of seating and the staff are very pleasant, but it is tired and dated and in need of an overhaul. However, the bar menu is acceptable and my choice of a Thai dish was very good value.
My room faced the road but with a good view. It was excessively warm in the room and I had to open the window to get some air. The furnishings were modern and attractive but the bathroom was in need of updating. The plug was broken and one of the tap top discs was missing, but the shower was excellent, powerful and hot. There were lots of clean towels available and changed daily. Bizarrely, after the room had been serviced each day, the electric plugs were removed from the wall sockets which involved a scramble under the tv or bedside cabinet to plug them back in.
Attached to the hotel is a Thai restaurant which is well known and popular with locals although I did not eat there. There are a large number of tables, cane furniture and large plastic plants, making it seem very dated. Breakfast was served in the restaurant between 730-930 and it was necessary to fill in a form left on each table and tick your choices with a red biro. There was cereal, orange juice and coffee on a separate table, to which you could help yourself. I had the cooked breakfast, where you were allowed to choose up to five items from a given list on the form. Unfortunately the bacon and sausages appeared to have been cooked a long way in advance as they were hard and tough and unpleasant to eat. The next day I had the poached eggs and they were freshly cooked. It would be very easy to improve the standard of breakfast by buying some matching cutlery, ditching the teapots with cracked lids, use some quality bread for the toast instead of thin sliced white and brown, and getting rid of the horrible red plastic squeezy bottles for the tomato ketchup.
Although this review sounds very negative, I enjoyed my stay, it was good value for money and the staff were very good. I would recommend the Highfield hotel for a cheap and cheerful stay with no extra luxuries.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hello and thank you for your review, hopefully i can address some items raised in the post. between the hours of 6:45 am and 11pm we have a receptionist on and outside of that a night porter. Due to the size of the hotel and value which we offer, receptionists often help at the bar when we are busy. We are looking to install a new key card lock system within the next three months and once installed will mean guests can retain their keys for the extent of their stay.

From your comments we have since replaced all the silverware and the tomato ketchup bottles.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed over the Easter weekend from March 29th until April 1st. On arrival we thought the hotel looked a bit dated but the outside hid a good heart. Reception was friendly, the whole hotel was lovely and warm, very welcome considering the wonderful Spring? weather we had over Easter!
We had a standard double room which was large and clean, plenty of hot water, and proper, large bath SHEETS, not tiny, flimsy towels. Our room was on the side away from the main road so no traffic noise problem. Beds were on the firm side but acceptable, though the pillows were a little hard and lumpy, we slept OK but the rooms could do with thicker curtains to keep the light out in the mornings if you wanted to lie in.
We ate in the attached Thai restaurant on one evening and enjoyed the meal, there was also a good selection of food available in the hotel bar though we did not sample it.
Breakfasts were served to order with a very short wait, would have been nice if there was some other option rather than just cornflakes or muesli for starters, some fruit or yoghurts perhaps?
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton-le-Spring
Chilton Country Pub and Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham
Hallgarth Manor House
Hallgarth Manor House
#11 of 18 in Durham

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!