“Satisfying food, lacks service and ambience.”

Santo Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in Luganville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Located in the same street as Aquamarine Dive centre
Description: Located in the same street as Aquamarine Dive centre
Brisbane, Qld
“Satisfying food, lacks service and ambience.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This restaurant is located in a side street off the main road - the same street where you'll find Aquamarine Dive. Unfortunately the location is probably not the best, it's down a dirt road which is not too well lit.

Opening hours are 10:30am till 1:00pm, then 5:30 till 9:00pm. Closed Sundays.

I attended twice, the first time to make enquiries and the next to eat. Both times I was the only client in the place.

Neither the atmosphere nor the service impressed me. Without being run down, the whole establishment was just a bit tired and dull. OK, I'm a lone traveller merely chasing nourishment, but for a couple or a group looking for a convivial dining experience, this establishment doesn't quite cut it: there are alternatives in Luganville. Also, the dining room is closed in and somewhat hotter than other non air-conditioned restaurants, which are open and allow a comfortable breeze through.

Speaking of service, the single person in attendance in the dining room was doing everything: attending to the tables, answering the 'phone, looking after the front desk. There were simply no dedicated table staff. I needed some service and mine host had disappeared to who-knows-where till who-knows-when, leaving your diner pondering as to whether to wait or scurry around to find the kitchen and serve himself.

While I was there, family members of this establishment were at another table, first playing cards rather loudly, then my entertainment changed to the group getting into a game of mah-jong, with the accompanying loud clicking of the mah-jong tiles. I wondered if I was intruding just being there.

On a positive note, the menu carries a good range of various Chinese regional dishes. My meal arrived in a reasonably short time, but I'll qualify that by emphasising I was the only patron - there definitely wasn't a backlog of orders to hold up proceedings! Prices were around the same as anywhere else.

Summing up, I wouldn't say that eating here was unpleasant, rather just dull and uninspiring. Certainly my plate was tasty and filling, but some would argue so is a face full of Maccas takeaway. A sit down, full service restaurant needs more than that. Some new bright paint, employ table attendants and banish the family members out of sight and sound to click on mah-jong tiles elsewhere.

• Visited October 2011