“AMAZING Wreck Dive”

SS President Coolidge
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Luganville
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you find yourself in Luganville, Vanuatu and you are a diver you MUST dive the Coolidge. The local dive shop will set you up. It is an amazing piece of history that is completely intact. It is eerie and awesome all in the same breath. I was on a missionary trip and got to dive for the day. So amazing. You have to dive Million Dollar Point as well. AWESOME!!!!!!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"bucket list"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This must be the best wreck dive, I have been diving for over 14 years around the world and the Coolidge is at the top of my list!
The equipment inside is amazing to discover, I recommend diving with Alan Power, the most experienced dive operator in Vanuatu.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Now this hip sank when the Americans were heading in to dock and hit two friendly mines. The ship sank within an hour, but the captain drove the ship in as shallow as he could and as a result only two lives were lost. Great recovery but once again the yanks were so stupid that they hit their own mines ????? Their intelligence really is amazing. Anyway, the ship dive is a beach dive, so a 200m walk from shore before diving to depths ranging from 5m to 60m. I dived with Aquamarine, and my first dive was a nightmare. My equipment was faulty and I was losing air fast, which I noticed as soon as we descended to 3 meters, even though I notified my dive master, he insisted we proceed, so I buddies up with him. By 15m deep and ten minutes in, I was only at 50 bar of air, so I had to buddy breath with the dive master for the second half of the dive. Not a good experience, but I told aquamarine and they set up a second dive with a personal dive master. The second dive was smooth and we explored cargo bays 1 and 2. They were full of jeeps and other vehicles, very surreal experience and one I'll never forget. I highly reccomend a dive here, but maybe try another dive shop.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The night dive was outstanding. We had 100's of luminecent fish come in on us as we sat oinside the hull. Alan Powers was a pretty well organized and responsible operator. I would recomend them.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'm not usually a wreck diver but this one is well worth while. I've done two separate trips to Luganville to dive the Coolidge. I dived with Allan Power's outfit using my own gear and completed 8 dives both times. The dive guides are attentive and phenomenal divers.

The day starts with a pick up from your accommodation. Don't be late or Allan will not be happy. You are taken to a concrete slab with a few wooden seats surrounding it to set up your gear. After a good briefing you enter the water next to a purpose built wall that eliminates any surface chop. One of the attractions of diving the Coolidge is that it is a shore dive. About 50 metres from the shore the dive starts and as you follow a line the wreck appears.

The first few dives there is minimal penetration of the wreck. The guides are assessing your ability although this is done subtlety. There are many dives to do on this wreck of varying depth and penetration. Nearly every dive is a decompression dive. The risks associated with this are well managed with staged ascents and spare tanks. A coral garden has been built at 5 metres that helps to eliminate deco time. I had 45 minutes to kill after one dive. After the diving you go back to Allan's house in Luganville for a coffee and bread roll. The night dive is also well worth doing.