Barrier Beach Resort
Hotels.com
$298
$268
  • Beachfront
Village de Santo Resort(Luganville)(Great Value!)
$112
$92
Reef Resort(Luganville)(Great Value!)
$95
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Beachfront Resort(Luganville)(Great Value!)
$95
Sunrise Beach Cabanas Resort(Luganville)(Great Value!)
$135
TripAdvisor
Coral Quays Fish & Dive Resort(Espiritu Santo)(Great Value!)
$118
Hotel Santo(Luganville)
  • Pool
Aore Island Resort(Aore Island)
  • Pool
All reviewsmoyyan housegarden farechampagne beachfloor to ceilingour honeymoonboutique resortclown fishthe managersstand up paddle boardsbeach housethe main houseplunge poolsanto beeflope lopethe water is crystal clearoverlooking the beachmountain bikes
Reviewed October 25, 2009

What a great place to spend your 25th wedding anniversay. The Fares are perfect and clean and make use of the local timber from the island with generous decking for you to kick back and relax and watch the sun set. A nice touch was the ipod docking station in your room. We really liked the bathroom as well. Sally the manager is a great host who made our stay that much more special.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed for six nights and could not rate Moyyan more highly. The setting is stunning, right on the beach surrounded by tropical forest. The hotel is in great condition, the rooms are generous with modern, roomy bathrooms, comfortable beds and the dining area and bar very welcoming and again, feel brand new. The design is stylish and sympathetic to the surroundings - it looks better than in the photos. Plenty of beach loungers and tasteful deck furniture to relax on. Moyyan is a fair way from anything, so not a base for endless activities. But if you want to spend time eating, drinking, relaxing at the hotel and on the beach, enjoying the beauty of vanuatu, it is perfect. Snorkelling was as good as scuba diving, beautiful coral gardens. As the reviews say, Sally is an outstanding hostess - does not intrude but genuinely concerned to ensure you have a perfect stay. One of the highlights for me was the food - made with many local ingredients, depending on what was in season, often grown in the Moyyan garden and picked fresh. All the staff were excellent, very genuine and helpful. It was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sswh1
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We arrived at Moyyan after visiting Port Vila for 4 nights and 1 night on Tanna to see Mt Yassur (see my youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12PVLaEAnXs)
We were met at the Luganville airport by Luke, who subsequently became our personal tour guide, what a wonderful and helpful man, number one....and a half. Sally greeted us like long lost family and showed us to our beautiful, modern, clean fale. What a room!!!! 3 walls of floor to ceiling screened timber shutters, a strong hot shower, which they worked overtime to keep up with us, and the most comfortable king sized bed I've slept in away from home. Right on the beach, so much better than a tent on Fraser Island. Meals were spectacularly good, and we were told what was on for dinner before we left for our days' outing. We didn't need to eat out at all. We intended to split our time between doing nothing and seeing the essential parts of Santo. Cathy spent so much time with the cameras, we had to download to the computer every night. We set up Skype and kept in contact with home and friends. One day Sally even picked us up after having dropped us earlier to the Riri Riri River (see my youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsHqgVKBH-E )
and gave us a tour around authentic custom villages in the hills. This woman has a heart as big as Santo, and a love of the people. One of the best stays we have had anywhere in the Pacific. We will Definitely be returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bushtrailer
Reviewed September 22, 2009

My wife and I planned to spend 7 nights of our honeymoon at Moyyan House. Unforunately we only lasted 2. From the minute we arrived we were overwhelmed by the staff. We were barely left alone for a minute and talked to constantly. It was very friendly but not want you want on your honeymoon. We thought there was a restuarant but they choose meals for you - no menu. The rooms are 2 mtrs apart so cosy is not the world for it! The shower didn't worlk either. The beach is barely 10 meters. The sorkelling is avarage with lots of jelly fish. The canoes are not maintained. The bar had lts of local beer and only 1 yes 1 international beer. We went into town and they bought another box of local beer! Plus its 30ms very very bumpy road to get there- Stay on down at Port Villa don't bother with Santo. We couldn't wait to leave!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PHILLKTM
Moyyan, Manager at Barrier Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear PhillKTM,
All Tripadvisor reviews are of course encouraged to be frank and honest. We have appreciated your honesty and can read your obvious frustrations that you must have experienced during your visit to Santo.

Although you were here 2 years before our arrival , I have waited a year to respond to your review as I feel it only fair to take onboard your comments and observe a full range of seasons.

I am very glad to say that we have not once experienced a jelly fish at the beach. This is not to say that it will never happen again! however it certainly has not been common this past year.

The chatty staff comments are absolutely taken on board, we do know who you mean (although friendly) have moved onto a government job - maybe more fitting! . Our Guest expect peace and tranquillity and the chatty staff/or other chatty guest for that matter! that just won't go is a delicate and important role in managing " the flow" of a boutique hotel.

Your comment about having "so much potential" is exactly why we came to live at Moyyan, It is one of the most gorgeous locations I have personally ever been to and I feel extremely fortunate that I now live here.

The restaurant now runs as a fully functioning facility, along with our Day Spa. We have a 14 choice lunch menu, our dinner menu is blackboard with a minimum 3 choice appetizer and 4 choice main that changes every single day. I understand the previous management had you order your meals before you left for the days tours? This is definitely not how we operate.

You will be glad to know we have a range of approximately 8 beers at any given moment, we will always stock whatever is available in Santo and we are yet to run out of beer.

My honest opinion of the snorkelling here is very very good. I have snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef and Caribbean and found it compares very well. We have a small reef only 10mtres of the beach that has over 30 anenomes and clown fish on it and the area is about the same size as an above ground pool.Directly infront of the small island is great and there are plenty of shore snorkels all around Santo and its islands, you can also take charters to some of the other islands with various diving and snorkel tour companies. We also encourage our guests to snorkel the blue holes for an amazing experience. We have found 3 coke bottles from the War and 2 Medicine bottles from 1941 in one of the blue holes just this week. We have also had 8 of our guests out snorkelling with Dugong this last 3 days. We have had them in the bay nearly every day/ second day for the last 2 months.

We are proud that we are only 12 steps from the water, so the 10 metres of beach is a bit of a catch 22! Champagne beach is probably a great deal wider and easily accessible these days withing 20minutes from door to gate. Our Beachfront is however 150 metres long for a maximum of 10 people to share.

Kayaks and boats are regularly maintained and serviced, but I suppose the most important is that there is now a perfectly tar sealed road that runs all the way past Moyyan to Port Orly.
I have to say I would definitely not enjoy the trip into town like it was when you were here.

Anyway Phill, I feel it is important to reply to your review, even after all of this time as other viewers will always want to check out the poor rating! I know I do when I check out a destination hotel. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to hopefully set some things straight with other readers and to Tripadvisor for allowing properties to respond to such reviews.

All in all, Santo is "absolute natural beauty" and the island is a must see.
We would love for you to re-visit us sometime, perhaps your next anniversary? Please Email me directly at the resort as I have some ideas on how we can make that happen ;)
Kind Regards,
Justine Chilcott
Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2009

We have just returned from a fabulous two weeks in Vanuatu for our 30th wedding anniversary. We wanted to have a good look around so took in three of the islands.

There was not enough time to see everything but Santo and Moyyan House were the highlights. I can not recommend this place highly enough. With only four bungalows it is so private. The accommodation is new, clean, of a very high standard and right on the beach. Just what you would expect for a romantic holiday.

Moyyan is out of town, but it is a short trip by taxi if you need anything.

The staff, in particular the Manager, Sally, of Moyyan can't do enough to help you. Sally made us feel welcome and right at home from the word go. And what an amazing cook she is! We were very spoilt with whatever delicacy she chose to delight us with.

There is so much to do on Santo. The Blue Holes, World War 2 Tour, Snorkelling, kayacking, relaxing. And then there is the Millenium Cave Tour! The tour guide says it is for a moderately fit person....you need to be in tip top condition to enjoy. It is fabulous, the most amazing scenery, but very physical. We didn't get time to go fishing or diving so can't wait to go back...and we will be definitely staying at Moyyan.

Thanks Sally.