My husband and I took our three kids (11, 9 and 6) to Ratua in December 2012. We knew little about the resort or Vanuatu, but we like snorkelling, lazing on beaches and eating nice food prepared by someone else. Our daughter is nuts about horses. We're from Brisbane so the ease of getting to Santo was also a big plus. The fact that there is no air conditioning, swimming pool or kids' club was part of the appeal. When the kids were small we stayed in some great Fiji resorts (including the famous Jean-Michel Costeau resort) But now the kids can swim and read, we prefer a more low-key holiday and Ratua was perfect. My husband spent three years on the north coast of PNG and never expected to experience better snorkelling but says Ratua was better. If we saw one turtle we saw 100. The kids loved having the run of the island and we always felt they were safe - such freedom for them to take themselves to breakfast and meet us on the beach. The rustic nature of the walkways and villas mighn't suit everyone, but we loved them. It was hot at night, but it's the tropics - we were happily tired, well fed and had no trouble sleeping. On the advice of another guest we took a day trip to Champagne Beach and had a brilliant time. Our kids spent hours playing with local kids and the picnic lunch packed by the people at Ratua was delicious. We spent the one rainy afternoon we had in the little cinema watching 'Ratatouille'. The staff bought Jim and I gin and tonics and the kids had lemonade and popcorn. I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy afternoon! As some of the commenters below have said, Ratua isn't for everyone - and we're glad! We'd love to keep it as our family secret getaway. Our 5 day holiday last year wasn't enough - we're booked for 10 days at the end of the year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ratua Island is a wild, magical place with authentic people who offer a simple and warm reception in a naturally beautiful environment. There are 13 individual 200-year-old Indonesian villas that have been specially reconstructed on sites offering stunning views with a private deck or beach. Located in the Vanuatu Archipelago, off the South East tip of Espiritu Santo, Ratua is only a 30-minute motorboat journey from the mainland on our own private motor launch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cancelon and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Ratua Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ratua Private Island Hotel Luganville
- Ratua Private Island Vanuatu/Luganville