“Don't do it!”
Review of The Paris Hotel

The Paris Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Coverack B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Second time we have eaten here. Last year it was average, but the male waiter had us in stitches, a real Basil Fawlty...so we gave it a second go. Ok, food looks interesting on the menu, and if you don't eat out much, it may be ok, but when we asked for one of the meals to come with chips rather than potatoes, we were shunned. Consequently our drinks and wine did not turn up until part way through our main meal (having not even turned up through starters). 'Basil' now refused to serve us over the chips insult. The hollandaise sauce was out of a packet, and the chips were frozen, not a problem, but the meal was costing £15, and you can do much better in other local eateries. Total cost for 4 people with starters, bottle of wine and main meals was £105. You can do better...but worth it for the comedy factor!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trolliedollie44

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Let's get this straight Coverack isn't big city there are no night clubs and the seagulls out number the locals (this may, or may not be true).

Coverack is a lovely, tranquil fishing village surround by some of Cornwall's most beautiful scenery. I'm amazed its remained so seemingly untouched, as does the hotel. The Paris Hotel could do with a lick of paint, perhaps even some new carpet but it is clean, the staff friendly and the food and drink is spot on. The location simply can't be beaten, while it is a bit loud before midnight you are staying above the only pub - this has to be expected.

Recommended - just don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I really want the Paris Hotel to be a good place to eat. I want to be able to roll into Coverack and be able to say with confidence that I will get a great dinner at the Paris, because it's the only pub in the village (as far as I know) and because it has a lovely restaurant area, and because the menu is interesting. But on this last Saturday night, the Paris did not live up to expectations. Here's some context: I've drunk in the Paris nearly every year just once a year for the last eight years while staying at the Youth Hostel (see separate review) and I've looked at what other people are eating and I'm thinking that it looks ok and one of these days I'll give it a whirl for dinner. That moment arrived this weekend. There are some great things on the menu - local lobster, bass, and other locally sourced fish and seafood. But I was still full from lunch (see my review of The Wave at Coverack) so I started by ordering seafood chowder. Not available. Ok. Sweet potato thai curry with satay noodles? Not available. Okaaaaay. Tofu and veg stir fry with sweet and sour kung po sauce? Oh yes, we have a big vat of that. A vat? Of stir fry? Uh oh. Still, I've already made three menu choices and the waitress is starting to get a bit flustered at having to come back and tell me that what I want is not available. Husband had scampi and chips and daughter had spinach and brie lasagna. This last came with chips, rice or pasta. So that's starch and carbs with starch and carbs. But time is getting on and we just want to eat. The tofu and veg stir fry, presumably fresh from the vat, arrives and it's disappointing to note that the rice looks exactly like Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice. There's something unmistakable about boil in the bag rice. It looks too perfect. Meanwhile, that sweet and sour kung po sauce looks and tastes like it's right out of a jar. When I think about what I could have ordered, I wondered why I fell into the classic trap of ordering the vegetarian fare in a restaurant that is clearly more comfortable with meat and fish. My husband's scampi and chips was fine - but how wrong can that go? Meanwhile, my daughter's kid's portion of the lasagna looked frankly horrible. And with chips it looked worse. I tried it. The brie flavour was overwhelming. We ordered a large cheese board to share for desert. When it turned up it looked as if it had been thrown on to the board. It was nice enough. But it's cheese and bics and with extra bics it cost £12. So a bottle of wine, two cider shandies and a J2O, two adult mains, one kid's main, and one large cheese board was nearly £60. Overall our experience was disappointing. The waitress was lovely and I felt bad for her that she had to keep coming back to say that things weren't available. Meanwhile, on a table over the way, steaks turned up that had all the wrong stuff with them and were not cooked as ordered. They were ushered away, and some people on that table had nearly finished by the time the corrected meals showed up. It was a bad night at the Paris, and it showed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OutAndAbout40
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Very friendly staff. The rooms are comfortable, with all you need ie tv coffee The furniture is a bit old fashioned but servicable. shower is great and it's very clean. we had a fab weekend would go back

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 4, 2012

During our recent trip to Cornwall we ate at the Paris Hotel and what a gem it turned out to be. The food was very good, the staff were also good. Would definite recommend the restaurant here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2012

As a resident of Coverack I have enjoyed many meals in the Paris Hotel, Coverack, and have never been disappointed. On 5th April 2012 we ate in the dining area with a group of sixteen. The tapas were tasty, and the main course was excellent with plentiful, well-cooked vegetables. The service was friendly and attentive. The restaurant was full, with an overspill table in the bar area suggesting that others also rate the Paris as a place to eat.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2012

It's all about the food, the views, the friendly staff, the sound of the waves when you're tucked up in bed, the free pool table, the wide range of tip-top booze and did I mention the incredible food?

I stayed at The Paris for three weeks while working away from home in nearby Helson. Despite running up the coast path nine evenings out of twenty, I still managed to gain half a stone by feasting on things like, spinach, brie and wild mushroom lasagne, twice baked chocolate souffle and Madagascan vanilla panna cotta (all with a generous dollop of Cornish clotted cream). The Sunday carveries demand a doth of your cap. Folk come from afar and those who neglected to make a booking seemed happy enough to wait at the bar accompanied by a very decent Cornish pint. The food isn't cheap, nor is it particularly expensive, it is in fact very reasonable when you consider the quality and choice available to you.

The people of Coverack are very welcoming. The pub regulars will make you feel right at home - although don't expect any mercy when challenged to a game or two of pool.

The only thing that people may not love about The Paris is the fact that the bedrooms are pretty basic, clean, with a telly, kettle and so on, but basic. In my opinion this is part of the charm. If you want a Dubai skyscraper with stainless steel everything then you really have no business being in a Cornish fishing village.

My advise would be to have a heart cooked breaky, take a long leisurely hike along the coast path, hop in a hot shower, play a dozen frames on the free pool table, eat a mighty pub meal then drink one too many great beers before retiring up the wooden hill. Bliss!

I would highly recommend The Paris as the place to go and recharge your batteries.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coverack
Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant
YHA Coverack
YHA Coverack
#2 of 3 in Coverack
Little Trevothan Caravan and Camping Park

Been to The Paris Hotel? Share your experiences!