“Fish & chip takeaway”

The Old Lifeboat House
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Coverack
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Fish & chip takeaway”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wonderful fresh fish , excellent service ! Ate them outside by harbour ...... Thoroughly recommended

2 Thank Sally C

London, United Kingdom
“Marvellous Food”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had fantastic experiences at this restaurant. The service was excellent on both occasions we went, thanks to the wonderful Nicci. The food was amazing - first-class ingredients beautifully cooked. We tried the turbot with samphire and the chicken with wild mushroom sauce, which were both delicious. The veggie mushroom stroganoff was exceptional. Our desserts were lovely as well. I had the rice pudding with toffee sauce, which was fantastic (so good, in fact, that my husband then ordered it the second time we went). The chocolate mousse and Nicci Switchitoff were equally popular with my kids. Damian the chef could not have been more charming, even to the extent of writing out a recipe for me! PS We also had takeaway fish and chips twice, which were really good. We had to wait a little while for them, but then that is to expected when food is being freshly prepared. If you're one of those people who want their food plonked in front of them straightaway, then go to McDonald's.

2 Thank Rochelle L
“Great fish and chips”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've eaten several times here during the recent stay in Coverack. It's located in the harbour and we've only eaten from the take-away. On a warm summer evening you can't beat fish and chips on the picturesque harbour wall. All I can say is - fish and chips are delicious and freshly cooked. Waits can be longer when they're busy but this is to be expected as they have a small cooking area with just one or two cooks. Buy a beer, relax in the glorious evening sunshine and chill out. It's worth the wait.

1 Thank roadwarriror
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Aviod the sausages”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had sausage and chips takeaway here in August.To be fair chips were ok .Staff quite rude chatting amongst themselves ,no basic please and thankyous .Long wait 15mins even though we were second in the Q.The sausages were awfull no idea what meat they were supposed to be although the dog loved them.Other reviews suggest Fish & Chips ok if you can wait and tolerate impolite staff.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank alfiebuvver
Damionoxf, Owner at The Old Lifeboat House, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
And here is the real story. At 17:30 these people ordered, yes it was the second order on the rail. It takes 8 minutes to cook a sausage. One member of staff cut themselves, the talking amongst the staff was me attending the staff member for first aid. The health of the staff is more important than a 4 minute delay on a sausage going in. After the cut was sealed and covered he went back to work. Very commendable. The sausage got fed to the dog because the woman who wrote this review dropped it on the floor and came back in trying to get a free sausage for her own mistake. I am afraid we do not cover people's own clumsyness in our company policy. So after refusing to pay for another sausage you decided to use this terrible website as a spite tool. So should you avoid the sausages? well that's up to you. Should you avoid taking this website seriously? defiantly. It is full of people who are just using it as a way to get free things.
Reading, England
“A Brilliant Mistake”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've been travelling down to this area of Cornwall for years for diving and had some friends with me that wanted to go out for diner. I couldn't remember the name of the pub/restarant I had been to in Coverack befor but could remember roughly where it was on the map. So I looked up google maps on the smart phone and saw a knife and fork on roughly the right spot called the linked number on the map. We arrived and parked in the pub that I thought I had booked which is the Paris Hotel opposite the Lifeboat. Went in and they knew nothing about our booking and laughed at us because they reallised my mistake and sneared at the booking choice I had actually made. But my friends and I walk across the road found the Lifeboat and honoured our booking.

Well all I can say is what a brilliant mistake. The Paris hotel can snear all they like the food at the old lifeboat was modern fresh and brilliant. The restaurant has a fabulous view across the harbour the inside is bright modern and clean and great service. What a brilliant mistake to have made and next time I'm trying the fish and chip shop they also run on the other side of their building cus it smells great. I also recommend all of their deserts especially the rice pudding it was so delicately flavoured with lime and a caramel sauce sounds odd but was really good.

• Visited August 2013