“Beer at Breakfast!”

Swan Hotel
Cropston, United Kingdom
“Beer at Breakfast!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed here to attend a wedding in the town. The bride and bridesmaids and several others stayed too.
It is a bit daunting ploughing through the smokers and the drinkers to get to reception but not a problem. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful - although plainly harassed. The double room was very pleasant, clean and well set up. Water, biscuits, tea, coffee and free wifi. Much better than some big four/five star hotel chains I have stayed in. Our only complaint was the heat. The weather was warm but the room was much warmer. The bathroom even more so!
No way of cooling it down. We overlooked the courtyard so when we returned 'late at night it was impossible to open the windows and get to sleep . However no big deal as I was pleasantly happy after a great wedding bash.

Breakfast was an experience. Good value for money food - excellent. Eating alongside some locals enjoying a beer mid morning was interesting. Life is meant to be made up of varied experiences and this certainly covered that.
All in all - good rooms, great staff, excellent food and beer for breakfast.
Shame it was hot and I am past my uni days when such mornings were appreciated

Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are in the process of getting aircon fitted into our rooms. We do hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chester
Reviewed September 4, 2013

What a combination a Wetherspoon's pub & hotel. Stayed here for 2 nights recently, room was small but fine, all clean & tidy, pleasant receptionist on the 1st floor. Bit noisy if you have a front facing room if they are setting up early on a market day, some rooms overlook the outdoor drinking area which could be an issue for some as drinking seems to go on quite late. Didn't eat here but usual Wetherspoon's menu, good value quality food. Ask @ reception if there are any quieter rooms (helpful handy hint!)

Room Tip: See pointe above re:- room selection
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again soon.
Benllech, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have just returned from what was a special weekend visiting family in Leighton Buzzard where we thought we were fortunate enough to book rooms in the Swan Hotel. Everything was fine on arrival and we settled into our room which had a view of the market town. The first thing we noticed was the door to the bathroom did not latch so kept coming open all the time, this was annoying as it was used a lot with a family of 4 people. Add to this the lock was so stiff to use I told my daughters not to use it fearing they could not open it once locked. I reported this to the reception and suggested while we were out they send up maintenance to fix it. I then tried to have a shave but the plug did nothing to hold in the water so the sink had to be constantly filled. This in itself I would not consider giving a negative report on Trip Advisor. We enjoyed our evening meal in the Wetherspoons and the food was very good, as we had an early start the next day we decided to have an early night and return back to our room. From 10.00 pm - 2.00 am the loud and abusive language coming from the street below was intolerable causing disturbance to both the children as well as my wife and I. Finally at 2.00 am we get some sleep only to be woken again at 6.00 am to the sound of lorries reversing and metal poles being thrown on the ground as they set up the market. We left the hotel very exhausted from lack of sleep and went to enjoy our day at the zoo.
On our late afternoon return the first thing we discovered was no repairs had been carried out to the room. Again we enjoyed the restaurant before retiring to bed, this was Saturday and was even worse than Friday night. Again it took us hours to get off to sleep, there were security guards outside and things were being thrown around and abusive language was constantly heard by my children. We then had a further problem that our older daughter was allergic to the feather bedding....we went to reception and explained this and were given two small cushions, the staff were very nice and said this is all we have. She actually stayed in the bathroom for some of the night as her asthma and allergies were so severe ): Never experienced this any other hotel we've stayed (we've stayed in many!), as an allergy sufferer myself just been given two cushions won't help, there needs to be a room where there is no feather bedding at all, she is also allergic to dust and the room would benefit from a deeper clean.
Given the amount of noise would have thought it would be better to locate a families room at the back of the hotel? My older daughter suggested double glazing to soundproof the room!
Wouldn't wish to stay there again but would recommend Wetherspoons, the staff were very nice and the food very good too.
I did raise these issues with the manager before leaving who informed me he was not responsible for what went on outside the front door and he was well aware of the noise created in the room as he said they'd had previous complaints about this but they could not fit double glazing as it was a listed building. My reply was, 'So you knowingly sold us a family room that was unsuitable for that use?' his reply was, 'These are the only rooms in the hotel where we can fit two beds.'
So be warned the hotel will knowingly sell you a room you will get no sleep in and have no plans to do anything about it in the future. I would suggest it would be very easy to fit internal secondary glazing which would not be visible from outside of the building therefore not be an issue with a listed building aesthetic view. If you are looking for good food and an all night party with no sleep I give this 5 stars, as it is, I will give it 2.

Room Tip: stay at the back of the hotel and don't ask for a family room. We stayed in room 101, do not bo...
1 Thank Peruviansecrets
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, we have worked on the problems and do hope you will give us another try.
We are and have been for the last 2 years liasing with the council with regards to the noise at market set up but unfortunately cannot do anything about the noise on a Friday/ Saturday night from the high street.
If you decide to give us another chance please ask for family room 115 or 216 when booking.
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had the dirtiest room I can remember anywhere. I gave Wetherspoons one week to respond to my feedback to Customer Services before writing this review and except for an automated acknowledgement I have heard not one word from them. Here follows my feedback:

“I am very very disappointed having used two other Wetherspoon establishments in Malvern and in Lymington and having found them to be excellent that the Swan in Leighton Buzzard has let you and me and my wife down very badly. The edges of the carpet in our room 112 against the skirting were thick with dirt and dust. The whole carpet in fact needed a good vacuuming, but at the edges there was dirt that had accumulated over a very long period of time. You could scrape it up. The cleaner obviously has never bothered to attach a hose and nozzle and clean against the skirting, and the Manager obviously has never bothered to do room inspections. Apalling! If that was not bad enough the plug-hole in the bath was not only filthy but was filled with previous occupants' hair. Then at breakfast this morning the cutlery was filthy. There were many good points about our stay of course - the room was comfortable and the food and drinks we had were fine. We had an excellent night's sleep and the staff were polite enough, although the girl on Reception didn't look up when we passed through this morning for breakfast whereas a smile and a 'good morning' should be automatic. I have pictures taken with my smart phone of the carpet dirt, the plug-hole and the cutlery which I would have emailed to you if this form I am using had enabled it. If you send me an email address that I can use to send them to you I will send copies to you as attachments - otherwise you will soon be able to see them on my TripAdvisor review.”

As I say, I had no response.I have attached some photos.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leigh, UK
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I think Tim Martin needs to decide if this place is a pub, restaurant or hotel. It struggled to be all three. No complaints about any of the staff - all were helpful and accommodating. The rooms were a bit small but nicely decorated. However, the cleanliness of the rooms was very poor. 1st room (215) had towels strewn all over, bed poorly made, aircon broke, 3 bottles of half drunk water on the sideboard. Requested a room change. Room 2 (112) not much better with dust on the wall (a previous review mentioned this but still not cleaned) and there was somebody elses toenail clippings on the carpet. Nice. The rooms are stiflingly hot even with the ugly, very loud portable aircon unit with extractor fan stuck out of the window. Bizarre. The outside beer garden was very nice but, again, cleanliness an issue - overflowing ashtrays and un-wiped tables. Could be a great hotel if proper aircon was fitted and they resolved the cleanliness issue. I hope Mr Martin reads this or the hotel forward it on to him. We are big fans of JD and with a few minor changes The Swan could be excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Im sorry you did not have the most enjoyable stay and apoloygise for the cleaniness of the rooms as this is unacceptable. Aircon is in a process of being fitted into all rooms. We do hope you stay with us again and we will ensure that it is more ejoyable this time.
Perth, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I went here with my granny, and sister, so my parents could have a week to themselves!
The Room-
The room itself was beautiful, a family room with a double bed and a sofa bed, bathroom with shower/bath, a TV, and a mirror with desk that had the coffee, tea and biscuits. We only stayed for 3 days there, as we were travelling up to Wigan to see family.
The Staff-
The reception, waiters/waitresses, cleaners and others were very helpful, but when we went out to explore Leighton Buzzard, we noticed the cleaning staff only refill on milk, biscuits, coffee/tea items and water, they didn't actually clean the room.
Food-
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner had a wide range to choose from on the menu. Everything I had was top quality!!
Overall Stay-
Fantastic, would stay again:)

Room Tip: try to get a room in the middle of the hotel so you don't here people in the bar garden below :)
1 Thank Robyn C
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay here at The Swan Hotel and do hope see you again in the near future.
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Dearie me, this is the worst rating I have done!!
Cleanliness is next to..... Well maybe not Godliness in this day and age, but still close to everyone's hearts!! Do the cleaning staff at this hotel know that there is a nozzle attachment to go round the edges of carpets when you're vacuuming?!?!
We must have shared our stay with loads of skin flakes of other people in room112 this last weekend, and also their hairs in the bath plug hole!! I'm sure they were good decent people, but!!!!!!!
There was even dust on the wall next to the bedside table. Even I can't get dust to stick on the wall and I cleaned at home last year!!!
Rest assured that even though the eggs benedict on dirty plates with thumb smeared knife was good, there is no way that I would ever stay here again!
I love staying in different places but I really could have spent £74 better elsewhere!
Really, Wetherspoons, you are be big, but you could do a lot better!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I am able to offer you a discounted stay, please contact the hotel either by telephone or email and I will arrange this for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leighton Buzzard
#2 of 3 in Woburn
Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Premier Inn Milton Keynes South Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!