“Could Be Better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Swan Hotel
Leigh, UK
“Could Be Better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I think Tim Martin needs to decide if this place is a pub, restaurant or hotel. It struggled to be all three. No complaints about any of the staff - all were helpful and accommodating. The rooms were a bit small but nicely decorated. However, the cleanliness of the rooms was very poor. 1st room (215) had towels strewn all over, bed poorly made, aircon broke, 3 bottles of half drunk water on the sideboard. Requested a room change. Room 2 (112) not much better with dust on the wall (a previous review mentioned this but still not cleaned) and there was somebody elses toenail clippings on the carpet. Nice. The rooms are stiflingly hot even with the ugly, very loud portable aircon unit with extractor fan stuck out of the window. Bizarre. The outside beer garden was very nice but, again, cleanliness an issue - overflowing ashtrays and un-wiped tables. Could be a great hotel if proper aircon was fitted and they resolved the cleanliness issue. I hope Mr Martin reads this or the hotel forward it on to him. We are big fans of JD and with a few minor changes The Swan could be excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Im sorry you did not have the most enjoyable stay and apoloygise for the cleaniness of the rooms as this is unacceptable. Aircon is in a process of being fitted into all rooms. We do hope you stay with us again and we will ensure that it is more ejoyable this time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Perth, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I went here with my granny, and sister, so my parents could have a week to themselves!
The Room-
The room itself was beautiful, a family room with a double bed and a sofa bed, bathroom with shower/bath, a TV, and a mirror with desk that had the coffee, tea and biscuits. We only stayed for 3 days there, as we were travelling up to Wigan to see family.
The Staff-
The reception, waiters/waitresses, cleaners and others were very helpful, but when we went out to explore Leighton Buzzard, we noticed the cleaning staff only refill on milk, biscuits, coffee/tea items and water, they didn't actually clean the room.
Food-
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner had a wide range to choose from on the menu. Everything I had was top quality!!
Overall Stay-
Fantastic, would stay again:)

Room Tip: try to get a room in the middle of the hotel so you don't here people in the bar garden below :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robyn C
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay here at The Swan Hotel and do hope see you again in the near future.
Lymington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Dearie me, this is the worst rating I have done!!
Cleanliness is next to..... Well maybe not Godliness in this day and age, but still close to everyone's hearts!! Do the cleaning staff at this hotel know that there is a nozzle attachment to go round the edges of carpets when you're vacuuming?!?!
We must have shared our stay with loads of skin flakes of other people in room112 this last weekend, and also their hairs in the bath plug hole!! I'm sure they were good decent people, but!!!!!!!
There was even dust on the wall next to the bedside table. Even I can't get dust to stick on the wall and I cleaned at home last year!!!
Rest assured that even though the eggs benedict on dirty plates with thumb smeared knife was good, there is no way that I would ever stay here again!
I love staying in different places but I really could have spent £74 better elsewhere!
Really, Wetherspoons, you are be big, but you could do a lot better!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, we have worked on the problems and do hope you will give us another try.
I am able to offer you a discounted stay, please contact the hotel either by telephone or email and I will arrange this for you.

Travelers are raving about these Leighton Buzzard hotels

Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've just had a one night stay and I have to say it was made really enjoyable. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is clean and comfortable. Staff reserved us a table for our evening meal, which was lovely and we were a party of 11. All of our meals were hot and delicious, really can't fault it. The breakfast there is really good value too and more than filling. Slight downside is having a front bedroom as it was noisy till the early hours but that's nothing that the hotel can control,also unfortunately the front rooms have no air conditioning but they do provide fans so it's not too bad. All in all we had a lovely stay and if I ever found myself down that way again I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Thanks to all the staff, keep up the great work!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet nights sleep then stick to a rear bedroom. Same goes if you want air con.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments. We are currently in the process of sorting air conditioning out for all our rooms. We do hope to see you again in the future.
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Swan Hotel on 6th July 2013, room 105, hottest day of the year. We were shocked to discover when we reached our room that there was no air conditioning and the windows were securely bolted down. We immediately complained and were given a fan, which we gave to our daughter and her husband who were also staying there. We were told that all windows in the hotel were bolted down for 'health and safety reasons'. Surely this is a fire hazard! We asked to be moved to room 102 as we could see it was vacant with an open window. We were told this room was occupied. The next morning the door was propped open, as it had been the previous evening, to air the first floor corridor near reception and it appeared that it was vacant.

We spent an airless and very noisy sleepless night and would certainly not stay there again.

Stuart and Gill
Luton

Room Tip: Don't sleep at the front, too noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I am very sorry to hear you did not have a comfortable stay with us, we are currently in the process of getting air conditioning put into all our rooms. Room102 is one of our most popular rooms and is usually always booked. During the hot weather we have kept the door open in room 102 to allow some air to get in. This is usually done before and after the guest has stayed. If you ever decide to stay with us again we will ensure that you have a comfortable stay with us.
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Only stayed for one night thank goodness, asked in advance for a quiet room, got 110 over the kitchen, complete with a load buzzing noise, moved to 306 over beer garden, say no more, it's open till well after midnight, the room was red hot only a small fan to cool down, the bathroom was so hot you stuck to the floor !! evening meal,, mixed grill, ,,steak under cooked rest overcooked. This is one place you should avoid, there are plenty more in the area

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bnbmoran
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I am very sorry to hear you did not have a comfortable stay with us and you found it to be noisy. The garden should be closed by midnight, I will ensure that this is controlled more by bar and door staff. We are currently in the process of having air conditioning installed into our rooms.
Should you decide to give us another try, please request a quiet room and we will ensure that you have an enjoyable stay.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Really very good. I'm not a snob but every time weatherspoons is mentioned I think, no thanks, i'll go somewhere else. We went to Leighton Buzzard for a friends party this weekend and she suggested The Swan. I didn't realise it was weatherspoons until I got there and was a little horrified! Well, no need to be horrified at all. Lovely reception and delightfully friendly recieptionist, small but very tidy, well decorated room, good bathroom with very good shower and a really comfy bed and good TV. Really, what more can you ask for a cheap night away. Cheap was the best bit about it. When we got there we needed something to eat and drink so went to the bar and ordered 2 x Nachos, a pint of larger and a large white wine. Huge Nachos, one would have been enough and we booked it to the room. Today, when we left, the bill, £93.50 all in.. NICE! The bar is a bit weatherspoonish but there's a lovely outside area and its got a large dining room too. If you're in Leighton Buzzard you won't get better for the price and you'll have a great nights sleep... One thing... The top floor rooms where we were are very hot at night. I was OK as there is a fan which was my side but my wife could really have done with air con but hey, the weather in the uk isn't usually that great anyway.. Enjoy.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kipims
Michelle N, General Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind words, I am glad we have converted you to a Wetherspoon friendly guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leighton Buzzard
#2 of 3 in Woburn
Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel
Premier Inn Milton Keynes South Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!