Swan Hotel
The Heath Inn(Leighton Buzzard)
  • Breakfast included
The Dukes(Leighton Buzzard)
  • Restaurant
The Brownlow(Leighton Buzzard)
TripAdvisor
Axe & Compass Lodge(Leighton Buzzard)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswetherspoons hotelpublic car parkbusy pubcentral locationfamily roombottled waterwould stay againmilton keynestown centrerooms are smallnice roomtea and coffeemember of staffswankettle
Reviewed November 14, 2011

First a confession - I am a resident and a Town Councillor of Leighton Buzzard; however, having been in despair as to the future of the Swan for some time, I feel that tripadvisor readers should be aware that this hotel was closed for some time between the 2007 review, which I will confirm was absolutely true, and the middle of this year.

Wetherspoons have completely revamped the whole of the building, bringing it back to being the High Street feature that it should be whilst providing both good food and the reasonably-priced but good standard of hotel facility that it could never be before. Yes, the Swan IS a town-centre establishment and a pub-business, so it will always suffer the associated noise factor, particularly during its operating hours.

I have to commend Wetherspoons on their efforts to maintain such buildings as the Swan for our heritage - the Bell in Aylesbury is another such example, albeit without the benefit of accommodation.

Oh, and I have eaten at the Swan on a number of occasions in the 4 or so months since it reopened and have been happy with the food and the service every time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Ray B
Michelle N, General Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thanks for such a great write up, the transformation is loved by everyone that visits and is the best looking building on the high street.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We booked this hotel as we were having a weekend with some family and wanted the convenience of being in the town centre of leighton buzzard.
When we arrived we were given room 108 and must say it was excellent, very new furnishings and the most comfortable of beds.
Food was excellent value as we ate in the restaurant in the evening, we all had steaks which were all cooked to out various requirements. We also had breakfast the following morning which was also very good.
All in all very good value and an excellent nights sleep.
We have booked again for new year

Room Tip: choose 108
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your lovely review and glad to see you are a returnee

Reviewed October 27, 2011

We chose this hotel for an overnight stay to break up a long journey and because we had recently stayed in 2 other Wetherspoons hotels and had a great experience in both of them.
We were not disappointed - another lovely old building with nicely renovated rooms and comfortable beds.
We did not visit the bar or restaurant this time, other than for breakfast, so cannot comment on that, but the room and service was excellent and met our needs perfectly.
There was a minor problem with the sink in the first room we had, which resulted in us quickly being moved to another room with no fuss or hassle.
The town looked interesting but as we arrived after 7pm and had to be on the road again by 8am we did not have time to explore! We would have no hesitation in returning to the Swan in the future so we could have a proper look around!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
The town is great to explore if you get the chance to come back.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Very noisy, booked for a weekend away with my wife and this hotel looked very nice. Like a fool I didnt think to check tripadvisor much to my regrets.!st room112 has an extract fan situated outside the window that you can hear in the room, along the corridor and in other rooms along this corridor. We approached the receptionist who could not have been any more helpful, and pleasant.The 2nd room was on the front elevation & had bad fitting windows as with all the rooms, with a terrible draught and also you could hear someone walking down the street in heels in the afternoon The.3rd room 207 overlooks the smokers courtyard which is noisy and the outside door bangs whenever used, (when anyone wants a smoke) this could do with a door closure fitting.There is no residents lounge, so getting a table is difficult due to outside bookings. The bar staff are ill mannered, as whilst we were eating breakfast @ 10.10am they started to drag tables around to set up for a reservation at 1215. It appears that this Hotel is not bothered If you have paid £59 p/n your'e not entitled to a seat downstairs. Unfortuanately there is only Wifi in the bar if you can get a seat. This hotel needs secondary Double Glazing and bar staff training. Other than this all hotel rooms are tastefully decorated well stocked, clean and extremelly comfortable. Drinks here are more expensive than other local pubs although the food prices are comparable.

Room Tip: Book another Hotel unless you are prepared to wear ear plugs and leave your laptop @ home.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clive_adams
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay, we have made great improvement to the extract system at the rear of the building and there is not so much noise now.
I would like to send you a discount voucher to hopefully restore your faith in us as a company. Please contact us on 01525 380170 should you wish to take me up on the offer.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

The restaurant and bar of this town centre hotel are very good and extremely popular, the food is good and the service is also good. My only caveat would be the 'side salad' which cost 1.20 and was a ramekin half full of wilted shredded letttuce with four cherry tomatoes, pretty poor.

The service I had at the hotel section upstairs was very different. The staff seemed very welcoming and polite after I had told them how badly I needed a good night's sleep as I had been travelling and had slept badly the night before and had to get up early for a flight the next day. The staff said the hotel section hadn't taken off quite as well as the bar and that the hotel was practically empty. The first girl immediately said room 3. before the reservation had been put into the computer. Room 3 was very comfortable, very clean with new furnishings and a comfortable bed and I looked forward to catching up on some sleep.

Unfortunately the room was right above the hotel entrance so there was a lot of noise until 1am, this is what you would expect on a Friday night although I would have hoped the staff would have been thoughtful enough to put me in a quieter room at the back, as they had so many rooms available.

Worse than this was that the staff would have been fully aware that the next morning at 05:00 a beer lorry would be delivering to the front of the hotel with metal kegs being unloaded noisily onto the paved ground and that a market would be set up outside the front of the hotel which involved metal scaffolding poles being erected and connected to form the stalls.

I had not complained about the noisiness of my room in the evening although I felt, with the hotel being quite empty, a different room allocation would have been better management but I accept that Friday nights can be noisy. What I do not accept is that the staff knew I hadn’t slept and still put me in a room where not only would I be unable to sleep at night but would also be disturbed very early in the morning.

I complained at around 05:00 and again at 06:00, by which time I was extremely distressed and asked to be given a quiet room to at least get an hours sleep. The young man on reception at the time opened a room for me and I managed to sleep for an hour before packing my things to go.

I complained as I was checking out and said that I did not expect to pay for the room. I was offered a paltry 10% discount I did not accept. I expected the full amount of the room to be refunded but it was not. With such chains as Premier Inns offering 'Good night Guaruntees' and any hotelier with a modicum of decency would have refunded the room

This was the worst service and the most inconsiderate reception staff I have ever encountered. I will also mention here that I met a couple from Aberdeen who had had a similar experience at the Swan hotel and had chosen another one on this trip.

Advice: Check where your room is and don't expect any consideration or professionalism if you have a complaint. They haven't even had the courtesy to respond to my e-mail.

Mrs Atkin

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have a room at the front at the weekend
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Atkinabz
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, we have worked through the opening issues and have now been open almost 2 years.
Please give us another try if you get the chance.