“Disgusting ladies toilets”

Globe Inn
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A beautiful historic canalside pub with log fires, real ales, wines and soft drinks. Fresh Coffee and food served daily. Reservations available in the dining room
Reviewed July 20, 2014

As before, ladies' toilets still disgusting, no loo paper in some, rubbish everywhere and one door bashed into - people can look in... We did eat nice food, but it makes me wonder... Please please please take on one more member of staff to check toilets and clear tables on busy sunny Sundays!!

2  Thank ladyonred
Richard W, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Whilst glad that you enjoyed your food I thank you for bringing the condition of the ladies toilet to our attention. Regular toilet checks are part of our quality controls and a team member is nominated to ensure that these happen each shift, this will be reinforced with the team.

I hope that you return soon

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Hottest day of the year so far, yet once again the Globe don't have enough staff behind the bar, the lovely, calm but very over worked young lady deserves a medal for keeping her cool whilst taking all the food orders, serving the drinks.
Whoever does the staffing rosters needs to look at the weather forecast , truly bad management!
The food was ok but not the best, for a destination pub it's really not hard to get it right. This isn't the first time they have had limited staff , I would like to think that the new company that has taken over will remedy this.

2  Thank SusanMackay
Richard W, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

I'm sorry to read about your experience. Its important that we receive feedback, and I can assure you that numerous changes are currently happening in personnel, training, styles & speed of service. I hope that you will give us another try in a few weeks to see that improvements being made

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Came here after two lovely, problem free previous visits and was really disappointed and let down by almost every aspect. Granted to location is splendid, literally on the canal but that was the only positive.

We were a large-ish party (8+) although we had booked a week in advance but the service and food couldn't seem to cope. We asked to move a table to extend ours and was met with quite a lot of huffs and puffs from staff with no real resolution so decided on lifting ourselves. No waitresses service (which isn't a problem in itself) however queue for drinks was out the door. Although when you finally got the bar service was friendly and helpful. This was particularly hard work when ordering food, it would have been a lovely personal touch if an order had been taken to accommodate the larger group.

Very very long wait for starters, and when they arrived they were mediocre, cold and seemed like they'd be left standing for a while. Although polite, staff seemed very rushed. There was no attempt to clear empty glasses when started arrived. Waited a long time after starters were finished for plates to be cleared. This never happened until 20 seconds before our mains arrived. Again food was distinctly average or poor in some cases (tough steak, over cooked duck, cold chips) but we had waited so long to eat we muddled through.
Would have been nice to stay for dessert and coffee but we had then been there almost 4 hours.

A real real shame. Before this visit I would have recommended this place to others, now I would tell people to avoid. I hope this place can turn it around, it would be a shame to waste such a fab location.

6  Thank BiltonStilton
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went last night to the Globe Inn. Lovely location, great sunny evening, but the food was uninspiring and just ok which is a real shame. As there was 10 of us we were asked to pre-order starters and main courses running up to the evening. The menu is uninspiring - sausage and mash, steak, burgers blah blah blah (and no prices). Nothing a little bit special at all, which is all the more galling when you turn up on the night and realise there is a few nice options on the specials board that are off limits to you as you've been asked to pre-order. I hate to say this and never thought I would, but I went to Harvester a few weeks ago and it had much more variety on its menu and we didn't have to pre-order.

Had soup of the day as a starter and it turned out to be parsnip. Bleurch. Parsnips are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them so i was surprised they were chosen as soup of the day. In fact there were quite a few other options like this on the starter menu - there was something with mackeral, something with black pudding, a shellfish option, olives, all quite strong flavours that people often have strong feelings about. That's why I chose the soup as I figured soup of the day is usually a pretty standard and safe option.

When it turned up it was a tiny weeny bowl consisting of one ladle of soup, and it was sickly sweet. I think it had honey in it? As a main course I chose a vegetarian burger, which was nice, but as it was served it chips it was a bit dry so I had to get some ketchup in there. Defeated the purpose of being able to taste the food I was eating.

We had to wait until our starters were with us before we manage to get our drinks, which we had to repeatedly ask someone to take out order for. One of the desserts apparently didn't get written down so when everybody had theirs we had to wait and chase the serving staff down to get that sorted.

After the meal we sat outside and managed to find a table over in the smoker's section. Unfortunately, nobody had bothered to turn the lights on so we sat in the dark and had a final drink.

I ate here last year and it was very different. Fantastic food, interesting wines, value for money, great ambience, and a real character of an owner. What's happened? The Globe seems to have been 'standardised'.

I think if you have amazing food you can forgive the little service errors, but when the food is just ok it seems to magnify your irritation.

2  Thank Steel K
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Great service, however I think they must just have a bank of microwaves and freezers in the kitchen. Everything about my meal was bad starting with a flat beer to salmon that was so badly cooked (or reheated) it could have been a type of meat. Even the peas had no taste and were badly cooked. The food was so bad I didn't even know where to start to complain. Very disappointing as this could be a great venue and has so much going for it.

2  Thank Mitch518
Richard W, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

We appreciate your feedback and please be assured food quality improvements are being taken very seriously. The new General Manager is working alongside the kitchen team in order to improve food quality and service. We do hope you will try The Globe again soon and hopefully see this for yourself