All reviews ice cream tour group russian beer borscht shot meal vodka lunch petersburg
Selected filters
Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

We had traditional Russian food. The Borsch was great. I had the vegetarian version.

The chicken sausage was great. The vegetarian lunch was yam cakes. That was average.

There was vodka which was ok. The ice cream was great

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2018

I had a meal here as part of a tour party from a cruise. The meal was in their banqueting room. The borscht we had was very tasty (I had often wondered what borscht was was like!) as was the main course of sausages that followed it. The meal also came with a shot of vodka which went down well! As this was part of our tour I have no idea on the price of the meal. I can recommend the Russian beer that I had with it which was very reasonably priced and was like a lager.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2018

My wife and me stayed at Alexandria Peterhof hotel 2 nights - from June 28th to 30th, 2018.

This hotel is one of the closest hotels to the Peterhof Grand Palace and to the famous gardens. It has been recently renovated and its suite rooms offer extra conveniences, contributing to its actual higher rating - as a 4 star hotel.

But we were surprised that our room was not cleaned after the first day and the rubbish was not removed. One reviewer wrote on this hotel that she had a kitchen in her room. So we started to suspect that our room without a kitchen was still considered as an aparthotel room and thus was not cleaned without our additional paid request. That was a minor inconvenience, compared to the complete absence of peace for two evenings and one night.

The strategic problem for the hotel guests is that the hotel is an addendum to the grand (2-storeyed) Banquette/Event/Party Hall (see it on the left side of any picture of the hotel). As the non-partying guests are not considered as guests of any importance by the hotel's staff. It's a Russian roulette that you are lucky and may skip a party/banquette taking place across the small hotel yard, 20 meters from your room. And you may have some rest and peace after the busy sightseeing day.

Noisy parties with very loud music and microphone start before 6pm and should finish before 11 pm. Even if you use ear plugs your bed or sofa would vibrate in the modern international or Russian rhythms....

We were not lucky and did not skip the bad chance and both evenings me and my wife were a part of the two different school leaving parties. St.Petersburg White nights coincide with the Russian season of school/college/university graduations/leaving. So all evenings for the Banquette Hall are well booked in advance and the win chance for a non-partying guest is very small.

During out first evening of stay we were released of participation in the first party before 11 pm. We were still tired but we very happy to be able to sleep in peace. The next evening's banquette participants decided to stay in the hotel overnight and the after-party took place in the hotel room next to ours. We waited till 1am for the after-party to stop, but in vein. My wife called the reception and received a strange response that the hotel is booked by the banquette participants and they have the right to have the party when they want.

The noise and music didn't subside and in 15 minutes I called reception myself. The receptionist's name was Natalia. I requested her to liaise with the owners of the hotel and to let them know that the guests of the hotel violate the public order and the hotel may have a problem if it does not take measures to stop those violations. I told the receptionist that I will be calling Petrodvorets district police office to send a patrol detachment to re-establish the public order in the hotel. I also warned the receptionist that I'm going to share our experience with the travelling public if the management does not apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Recent years the Russian police became more efficient and less corrupt. So my threat to call police seemed to have worked well. Someone started to calm down our neighbors and the final peace came right after 2 am. My recommendation is not to wait till 1am for the after-party to stop. Just to call the hotel's reception after 11pm (this is the start of the legal public silence time in Russia). If the hotel staff refuses to protect your legal rights within 15 minutes, you will receive the moral right to call the local police for help.The phone numbers of local police are available on Google Maps in English. At night I recommend to call the 24 hour police's district office and not the police station, which may be closed at night. Police officers were trained to speak foreign languages for 2018 FIFA Cup and should help you if the hotel staff fails to react.

Such treatment of guests by a hotel is very rare in Saint Petersburg. In the centrally located hotel in Petersburg, before our moving to Peterhof's Alexandria our neighbor decided to listen to his favorite national music at 3 am. We called the hotel reception, they told me right away that they would send the hotel's security to check the situation and in 15 minutes we could continue to sleep.

In the morning nobody at Alexandria Hotel paid attention to our late night peace problem and nobody apologized. I guess this happens every other night at the hotel and it's a routine situation for the hotel staff. So I decided to share my experience with the traveling public at large.

The previous reviews of the hotel are slightly confusing, as their majority were focused on the lunches of the tour groups in the hotel's restaurant on their way to Peterhof Grand Palace and to the gardens at day time. The reviewers of the hotel rooms, who were residents of the hotel, were probably lucky to avoid the evening party in the Banquette Hall and the after-party in the adjacent room. We were not that lucky..... So beware..

Room tip: The hotel is very close to Peterhof's Grand Palace and the gardens. Two room suites provide a fridge, a coffee pot and bath robes.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

Had traditional cuisine and a shot of Vodka . Not my favorite for United States taste but it was part of tour , staff was very accommodating, family owned
.we had chicken type patty , dessert was ice cream good

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2017

This hotel restaurant is well decorated, staff are well dressed, and service was excellent. It was a choice location to experience dinning on typical Russian cuisine. Food was very well prepared. Borscht soup, with cream was excellent.

Date of stay: July 2017