“Cheep 'n cheerful, but this landmark is in desperate need of a makeover.”

The Nottingham Road Hotel
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Lots of character and history. The hotel pub is a local institution, but unfortunately meant that we did not get much sleep due to it's noisiness. Good for a stopover, but not for a weekend breakaway.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed overnight at Notties, during the week. Notties is really a brilliant charming place.
The rooms are spacious, well lit and the bathroom is quite large.
We had a drink at the pud, apparently it was Farmers' Night, which turned out to be really good. Dinner was served in the main dining hall and the service was excellent, the food even better! The area is good for trout fishing.

The station is right across the hotel and you can walk around the area to really experience the country atmosphere.

Room Tip: Stay in the corner room :-)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Yes this was a trip down memory lane for us, and it was a good trip. Notties on a Friday is legendary and we had been many Fridays when we stayed in Maritzburg (35 years ago) We had car problems and only got in VERY late. We were met at reception, helped with our baggage and taken to our rooms, but we still had some brilliant pub time. Surprisingly the noise did not carry to the rooms., Yes the rooms are old, but full of character, which does appeal to me. The bathrooms are NOT old, shower, bath, plenty of hot water and toiletries supplied. Tea and coffee facilities, TV in the room,( but who wants it) Attractive, clean bedding, comfortable bed, brilliant breakfast and then off on our travels again. Hope to spend a night there again in April

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was my third or fourth time to stay at Notties, and I was disappointed at aspects of the visit. I was greeted in abrupt fashion by the barman and offered no assistance to my upstairs room with heavy bags, or even pointed in the right direction. The decorative cushions on the bed were grubby and lay on top of the snowy white pillows. The television did not work until tinkered with by the barman (who had cheered up a bit), and then showed only one channel. The partitions between the bathrooms were flimsy and I could clearly hear the man next door blowing his nose endlessly. The bed was magnificently comfortable and the down quilt was just gorgeous. In the morning, eagerly anticipating a cup of tea, I was disappointed to find that the kettle did not work. The girl who was on duty as I checked out was friendly and lovely, and the nightwatchman was pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is located in Nottingham Road, a little nice village in the Midlands, surrounded by beautiful landscapes and nature...you can easily reach the hotel within one hour and a half driving from Durban airport. This is a good base for day trips, like the Sani pass, the exiting city of Durban with its indian market, its beaches and the aquarium or just the midlands area with its green hills.
Living like a local, tasting real south african food and becoming friends with local people is exactly what I was looking for...this place and these people will remain in my heart for ever..

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank MoZ84
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stopped over for one night on a bike trip to the KZN Midlands.

While The facilities was neat and acceptable, it must be noted that the building is over 100 years old and showing it. This is typical of establishments in the Midlands, note references to tradition, historic, etc., in establishment descriptions in the area. Personally I prefer more modern establishments, but if you are into traveling down memory lane, then this might be your thing.

The staff was friendly, helpful and effecient. After along day on the bike we were not up to visiting the restaurant and ordered a few small dishes from the restaurant menu as room service. Two of the three dishes impressed, the third disappointed as the chicken wings were undercooked. Overall though I was impressed with the menu and refinement of the dishes.

Be warned that the hotel is located on the man rail line, with a number trains passing during the evening. Did not bother us much and I guess it would to the historic charm for many.

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Jaco B
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I truly loved my stay at this hotel. Its got absolutely stunning surroundings, the food was excellent, the room I stayed in (room 4) was amazing, and the staff, particularly the Barmen, who kept me entertained until late at night. Truly worth a visit, I know I will be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2012
#6 of 17 in Nottingham Road
Waterford Manor
Waterford Manor
#4 of 17 in Nottingham Road

Been to The Nottingham Road Hotel? Share your experiences!