“location location location”

Ranked #3 of 4 Naguabo B&B and Inns
DC
“location location location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

As long as you know what you are getting into, you won't be too disappointed. It is a wonderful location and the hikes from the lodge are excellent. The rooms and the vibe leave something to be desired.

First, yes, the rooms are bare. But hey its the rainforest, and its super humid and would be silly to have a lot of furniture. Bathroom and room were very clean. The rest of the building could use a power wash. Ironically the one day we were there (and trying to relax and enjoy the forest) they were powerwashing part of it....!

Second, as we were planning to do a 10-12 mile hike, I was looking forward to the breakfast. Fruit, yogurt and 2 pancakes wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Whole wheat toast, eggs and fruit would have been better. The fruit was good but it cannot sustain me for a whole morning!

This place could be 10x cooler if the restaurant which is .5 miles down the road was in the lodge. We would have liked to drink some beer and chat with the other guests and hang out in the awesome common area.

My husband got an awesome night's sleep to the sound of frogs. I did not do so well...

We also did not go to the north side of El Yunque so cannot speak to how the south side is as compared to the north. However, we really enjoyed our hikes.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

As others have pointed out this a no frills hotel/hostel. Our room was OK with a mish mash of different furniture. The windows screens were not in good shape. Since it's cooler up in mountains (about 10F cooler than the low elevations) one can close the windows at night and not worry about bugs. Given its isolation it's important to bring some lunch/dinner food (you can store it in a common frig) or be prepared to eat in the only eatery about 1/2 mi down the road. This is a pretty isolated place. Nonetheless, the views of El Yunke from the hotel are magnificent. A short hike takes you to 2 water falls and pools. We found the breakfasts (2) to be delightful. The fruit was nothing short of excellent. Pancakes and cereal and hard boiled eggs are just that. One warning are the toilets. Since the septic tank can't accommodate toilet paper, you need to deposit this waste in the garbage (is this why it is called an 'ecolodge'?). Frankly this was a surprise...If you plan to have the runs, this place will not be for you. My wife stocked up on cheese and peanut butter....The owners were genuinely helpful and accommodating. Internet service was spotty (location issues).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raynan
Horsham, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

I stayed here with 3 friends two nights a few years ago (Won't let me select past 2010 date). We had come from a few days on Vieques to come to the rainforest. The views were great and it put us where we wanted to be...right at the forest edge. It was fairly damp particularly in the evening, but you have to expect that. Otherwise the day was great, but it will rain heavily at least once during the afternoon. We got soaked both days hiking in the rainforest which was refreshing. The breakfast there was fantastic as well as dinner. There were a few couples there, and we had a great time interacting with them during meals and the evenings. It's a small place, quaint I woudl say and great for meeting people. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

If I could design my ultimate hotel for this island I would move Casa Grande to Casa Cubuy's location. Don't get me wrong...I am not expecting to be pampered wherever I go...but I do like to pay much less when I am given much less. Ok...the good first because I do like this place and would recommend it with some caveats. The location is amazing. Right in the park and on the less-traveled side of it mind you. That is important. You have all the beauty of the park but without the crowds. The lodge is on the side of a hill which a trail leading down to a sizeable river. The river cascades down numerous waterfalls creating perfect swimming pools at the bottom of each drop. We went swimming and had the whole place to ourself! Trails too other rivers lead right from the lodge. The restaurant down the road ( also owned by Casa Cubuy ) is yummy with local offerings. The staff are an eclectic bunch and while not always at the phone/email are really trying to make this a great place. My only caveat is recommending this is to someone is to beware that the price suggest more than hostel while the accommodation isn't much more. The rooms are a bit thrown together ( curtains that don't really fit the windows, mismatching furniture etc. ) but they are private rooms, which is a step up from a hostel. The bathrooms are in-suite and quite clean although also a bit thrown-together looking ( our shower had two faucets labled "hot" and we played that game of how long do you wait running one or the other before you determine if hot water is on any of them....turns out it was 2 minutes ). Ok...so why do I call it a hostel besides the furnishings? The common areas are a bit rundown and dirty with the same college like mixture of furnishings. The management style is a like a hostel, laid back and a little unpredictable.

So I would recommend this place for location, and for the people running it. To enjoy yourselves here just lower your expectations a bit...remember you were once ( or maybe still are ) going to hostels to see the world and be prepared to pay more for it and you will have a great time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Montague, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed here for a week and loved it. It's quiet, our room was spacious and had a beautiful view of the forest. We did a lot of hiking, reading books while sitting on a rock by the river, and took day trips to Pnce (incredible art museum) and the developed side of the National Park. The breakfast was awesome and different every day. It's a B&B the breakfast is communal; we met some neat people. You are on your own for lunch and the don't always open the restaurant so bring snacks and be prepared to drive into town (20 min down a windy road) for food/meals.

If you are an outdoors person who wants a little solitude and likes to be off the beaten path then this is the place. If you want luxury, to be in a bustling place with lots of people and "attractions" other than a gorgeous place to hike, this is not for you.

1 Thank slilium
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

This is a nice place to stay, terrific view from the upper rooms at least. The owner serves a plentiful; breakfast, especially heavy on the fruits, with various entrees from day to day. There is a restaurant down the road, co-owned, with plain food but very well prepared, and hard to believe it but the view is even better than from the lodge.

One caveat -- although there are some nice hikes from the lodge, 191 stops soon after passing the lodge, so if you want to visit the more touristed part of El Yunque with the marked trails, be aware that it is about an hours drive back around. But this was a fine place to stay for a couple of days

Morehead City, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

Upon first impression pulling up to this 'guesthouse' the bates motel was brought to mind and we considered cancelling the reservations and traveling about an hour back the way we had come and find a place to stay. We did not and we regretted it. This particular hotel is very unwelcoming, the staff leaves much to be desired and you really cant see or get to the rainforest from this hotel. (The part of the road that connects the hotel to the rainforest washed out several years ago and the whole area around the hotel is very depressed). My husbands comment on the way to the hotel was "I hope this place looks more inviting than everything else here." I was a bit more inviting but it did not stay that way for long. I had read the reviews on here before, and thought that they must be a bit over-exaggerated but I was wrong, the bad reviews were actually very nice to the hotel and its staff. The breakfast that everyone talks about was fruit and pancakes one day and fruit and cereal another. We choose to leave the hotel before we had originally intended because of the environment there.
I think if you were going with a group and you knew everyone there and you packed food in coolers (there is not much in the way of dining there and they want 8 dollars to even make pb&j for you for the day) it might be ok, but, for a couple on vacation, no way. The hotel is so open you know when your neighbor is pooping or showering and you can hear everything from room to room, no secrets here. Also you can hear the phone ring throughout the hotel.
I could not believe the rules that they have, I was so astonished that I took photos of their book and notes to the people who visit so everyone could see just how many rules they do have. They really dont want you to flush your toilet paper when you go to the bathroom and they only clean the rooms and bathrooms every five days (it's a 20 dollar charge if you want it cleaned before the five days are up, that is 20 dollars every time you request that it is cleaned). They also dont want you to have food in the rooms because of bugs, but they provide no way to keep food refrigerated and there is no way to cook it anyway.
The upside, Noelia's restaurant half way down the hill I would give a 10+ she is awesome and the food was great. Her restaurant was our god-send. Also, the hike from the hotel was good, but not something that the light hearted want to try. It is marked only with yellow caution tape and it takes about an hour to get there and back. Finally, their internet did work.

4 Thank AmericanHabibity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naguabo
The Fajardo Inn
Hacienda Moyano
Hacienda Moyano
#1 of 4 in Naguabo
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Casa Cubuy Ecolodge? Share your experiences!