“Great food, nice change”
Review of Nick's at Chequerbent - CLOSED

Nick's at Chequerbent
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We visited Nicks for the first time last week. Having read all the good reviews we were really looking forward to some good food, and we werent dissapointed. The homemade bread we were offered when seated was really good quality, and a nice touch as you don't often get a bread basket.
Having eaten at some of the best restaurants in Manchester, we can confirm that the quality of food and attention to detail is a real strong contender, if not better.
I ordered the fish pie, and I have never seen so many quality cuts of fish in one serving, if anything it was alittle large and over facing...my point being all the menu options aren't pretentious portion sizes like some restaurants.
Creme Brule was one of the best I have ever eaten, and was the diameter of a pie.
Staff were nice and helpful. The only thing we found a little off putting was the atmosphere, it was a little quiet, and felt like you were dining in someones home. Not a completely bad thing, but doesnt really match the branding/style of food. There was a great atmopsphere in the bar downstairs however, and we wish we had started in there for a drink first or after meal.
All in all though a fantastic place to eat, really good value for money given the quality of produce. We will be recommending friends, and visiting again ourselves.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I went to Nicks on Sunday afternoon,I'm not a big one for going to a bit more upmarket restaurants but my wife wanted a change.The service was excellent drink order took straight away followed by the food order.Starters I had pate which came with plenty of toast(not like the usual places where you get to much pate and not enough toast).For main I had rump steak and chips with pepper corn sauce and shared choc fudge cake for afters.The steak was massive and cooked perfect,I would of given a 5 if...... The chips were better but that's my own personal taste my wife said they were lovely (she had the chicken) I prefer proper large chips.After reading other reviews I do find some reviews a joke like the lady who was moaning as when she went there was a a large table celebrating a 40th and she should of been told when booking!!!,then went onto say whilst downstairs after her meal another group waiting were brought olives,oils,and breads but she wasn't!!!,yes love it's on the menu it says you can have them but you have to pay for them.Sorry about that some people shouldn't be allowed out,bottom line is yes it's a little expensive but I'll be going again.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

If it wasn't for the food then I wouldn't be visiting Nicks at Chequerbent again however after last times experience we decided it to give it another go.

The food is excellent, quirky and clearly has an individual input by chef. Portion sizes are generous so don't overdo it when ordering - prices are on the higher side though offset by the large portion sizes. If you are happy with just the food then its well worth a visit.

However it remains a converted police station on the A6 chequerbent roundabout with views over the M61 access slipways, parking can be difficult and the decor could be described as a mix of shabby chic and chav tat by some - a real pity as small improvements could make a big difference. Its cramped downstairs whilst waiting for your meal, the stairs upstairs are steep and difficult for those less mobile and the heating seems to be a common issue, last time we were freezing cold, this time is was sweatingly hot, aircon needs installing desperately.

A four for food but the negative aspects drag down the overall score

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Visited Nicks on a sunny Saturday night and wasn't quite sure what to expect but genuinely was impressed by the whole experience.

The food quality was really top notch- especially the Prawns which were so fresh and delicious. Portion sizes large too and prices fair for what you get. Not cheap by any means but fair for quality of the food.

Restaurant itself didn't feel cramped and atmosphere was really good. If I had to make a recommendation I would say train the staff a bit better. They are young and pleasant but not exceptional.

Otherwise this is a great restaurant, so pleased I have somewhere so good so close to my house. I will return very soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The ultimate test - a table for 12 on a Saturday night ! They coped very well, the restaurant was full. The young staff were polite and efficient and the service excellent bearing in mind the fact that the place was fully booked. The food very good as always. Hope they will have us back next year !