“Don't do it” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westhoughton
north yorkshire
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

So bad it's almost funny. Very odd place.

I didn't think motels existed in the UK until me and the wife stayed here for a couple of nights. The motel is situated right next to a garage forecourt. It is the ugliest looking building I think I have ever seen. It almost looks derelict.

As soon as you enter the building you'll realise that the inside matches the outside. Very dated reception area and halls. Smell of damp and mould everywhere. Some of the room doors have dents in them were people have punched them. The ceiling titles are black with mould, crooked and damaged.

The rooms are quite frankly disgusting. Smelly, mouldy dirty and out of date. Bathroom same. The bed was solid and itchy. The room was unbelievably hot in the night making it impossible to sleep. You can here the other guests EVERY movement. Wifi didn't work.

Bar again is dark moody depressing place to drown your sorrow. Friday night with the locals reminded me of the star wars gally. The food takes forever to come and isn't great. Think they run to the spar next door when a order comes in. Tables are sticky.

Staff are friendly.

To be honest I think the owners should face the fact that a serious amount of money needs to be spent modernising the place. Personally I'd demolish it. I really can't see where the good reviews have come from?
The hotel inspector would struggle with this place. If this is the best accommodation that your budget will get you then I would rather stay at home.

Read the bad reviews because they are very accurate and if you do end up staying here just remember to wipe your feet on your way out.

• Stayed August 2013
MercuryMotel, Owner at The Mercury, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Whilst we try to respond to all reviews with realism I feel I am unable to respond to your review. I appreciate that all reviews are a matter of personal opinion but I find there are too many personal judgements to respond to all individually. We accept that we are in need of updating but are friendly & clean with home cooked food to order (which sometimes does take longer than pre bought and microwaved). As for the locals you deride, they are a friendly bunch who openly welcome new people who want to have fun and enjoy the evening as much as they do.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Used this “motel “when I went up to Manchester for my mates 70 th surprise party. I found the owner very helpfull and friendly . Although the place is a bit dated the room was very clean as was the bathroom . Needs a bit more modernising . bar prices were very reasonable . breakfast is ordered the night before and very very reasonable.I ordered a full breakfast which was superb. Cooked as I came into the dinning area. Brill.
Only criticism I have is that there is dust on top of the doors in the corridors and the doors need a good wipe over. (was going to mention it to the owner when I left but was a bit pushed for time. I run a cleaning company so notice these things)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MercuryMotel, Owner at The Mercury, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and hope to have the chance to welcome you back again. It is pleasant when somebody who runs a cleaning company recognises how clean the rooms and bathrooms are. We are currently awaiting quotes to have the internal doors repainted as the last repainting used low odour, fast drying paint that soon wears off when cleaned.
Niel-bij-As, Limburg, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel is just perfect! Great animation in the evening, food is good, breakfast is perfect, the staff is verre friendly and helpfull! If i should describe the hotel in 1 word it should be "PERFECT!"

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MercuryMotel, Owner at The Mercury, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. It was a delight to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again next year!!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here Sat night after visiting friends. Room as others have stated need upgrading, but the bed was comfy. Bathroom not the best, but was adequate and was clean. Room was very warm, but that's not the fault of the owners it's our weird summer! My husband is familiar with the area, as we're our friends and in laws. They all sounded shocked we were going to stay there as in their words "it's got a terrible reputation", well all I will be telling them is, don't knock it until you've tried it. I found it to be more than adequate for what we needed. Breakfast was excellent for a fiver, Kellogg cereals,Warburton bread to toast, choice of cooked breakfast, what's not to like? Staff were friendly and I would recommend to others, even those who seemed shocked. Good value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MercuryMotel, Owner at The Mercury, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. Over the last few years we have worked hard to make it a welcoming place for all and are so pleased that you found your experience here shattered what you had been told to expect. We continue with our programme of refurbishment but that does not affect customer service. We hope to welcome you back.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed when we were cycling Land's End to John O'Groats. I think Westhoughton is a popular stopping point for cyclists doing the same thing; for me, personally, it wouldn't be a destination in itself. The owner was very happy to put our bikes in his garage, which was kind.

The outside of The Mercury is a little worn and so you don't get the best first impression but past that it's better. The receptionist was very friendly and, because she was new, we quickly met the owner/manager/publican and all round good egg, whose name I can't remember, which is a shame.

Our room was ok - clean, quiet, with nice toiletries. Like the facade, ours could have done with a lick of paint but that's it really. It wasn't luxury but then at the bargain price you wouldn't expect it.

We had dinner in the pub lounge and the night was pretty rocking (for others less knackered than us!) - a cabaret night was on and the locals were out in force. Really friendly atmosphere and the food was dirt cheap (and tasty). We chatted to the owner for a little bit and both my boyfriend and I picked up on the fact that he does everything - whatever needs doing - around the place. We got the impression that he works really hard to make it a good place for everyone.

Our bed was comfy and I'm sure we would have had a very reasonable night's sleep had it not been for the rather rowdy family shouting outside our door throughout the night! We stayed on a Saturday night and the pub seems to be the life and soul of the local community, so it's not surprising really.

Breakfast the next day was the usual b&b fare, so that was fine.

All in all, a few tweaks here and there but the owner will do his best to ensure that you have a good, welcoming stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Despite first impressions when arriving in car park, you couldn't ask for a more friendly welcome! Food was excellent - we were almost put off by the cheap prices but glad we stayed on site for food. Bar/restaurant is Retro style. Room was basic but with refurbished bathroom. Over all Excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MercuryMotel, Owner at The Mercury, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We agree with you that the kerb appeal of the place is not great. It is hard to make a long flat roofed building look attractive. We focus our efforts inside, providing a welcome and good value and are glad that you were able to appreciate that. We hope in the years to come to continue refurbishments as funds allow – rather like painting the Forth Bridge! We look forward to welcoming you again.
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights recently for a family visit nearby. Made to feel very welcome, not least by the party atmosphere from local people on Fridays and Saturday nights. I would normally run a mile from karaoke style entertainment, but on Friday nights there are some splendid singers and my wife and I enjoyed it enormously. Not luxuriously appointed, but great value- you are not paying 5 star prices. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MercuryMotel, Owner at The Mercury, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Mercury. Cabaret nights on Friday and Saturday are very well attended and we are glad that the atmosphere the regulars generate helped to make you feel so welcome.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westhoughton
Premier Inn Bolton (Stadium/Arena) Hotel
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,514 reviews
Holiday Inn Bolton Centre

Been to The Mercury? Share your experiences!