We had originally booked a Milford Sound tour. However, the road to Milford was closed due to an avalanche. We switched to Doubtful Sound. Real Journeys certainly can't control the weather. The tour was fully booked as anyone who could, switched to Doubtful that day. A very well run, professional organization. It rained and rained our day there, and also had high winds. As a result we did get to see dozens of temporary waterfalls which were awesome. We did get glimpses of the surrounding mountain scenery. Nice crossing of Lake Manapouri. On the bus ride to Doubtful, the bus driver mentioned that if the rain continued, we would have an interesting crossing of one river later that day on the return trip. Well, it was. We had to wait about 30 minutes on the boat at the end of the tour before being allowed on the bus. Then, at the river we had to wait about an hour for the water to go down enough for us to safely cross. Very obvious safety comes first with Real Journeys. They were making plans to have sea planes come in and get us if needed. There is free coffee and tea on board. We did purchase lunch on board, and it was fine. When we return, hopefully in a couple of years, we will take Real Journeys to Milford based on our experience at Doubtful.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.