“Little value for money”
Review of The Grange

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Burton
The Grange
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very short and hectic welcome, water boiler standing on the floor (we had no possibility to arrange this otherwise). No possibility to open two of the three windows, shower out of function. No reaction when we told this, no concession concerning the price.Chair in the room with broken cover. The breakfast was the worst (burnt ham) during our three-week-trip. Absolutely not what we expected in a five star accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eva P

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I, my partner and my in-laws rented out both the apartment and the grange out houses to celebrate New Year 2012 - 2013. We only really saw the staff when we had to ask where we had to go to enter the properties and they told us of the keys and such. A girl came and met us and showed us around the two properties and told us just to go over if we needed anything. We met the partner of one of the family the next day. He brung us a better TV and had good manners.

As to be expected these are self catering facilities so we took with us almost anything we'd have used at home. We had
No problems with either properties facilities such as showers or toilets. However the damp in the grange stable house was terrible and the double bedroom really smelt bad of damp. The stable house was decorated very nice but everything felt a little dirty because of the dampness.

One big problem is that there is NO MOBILE SIGNAL OR WIFI! I was genuinely gutted about this because at time of flooding we had nothing to do but watch tv or play on the ipad. The logo game had us all entertained.

I'd defiantly return but I'd suggest they get some sort of WiFi if economically viable and that they sort out the stable house dampness. Also the two single beds in the other room were different. One canvas and one metal frame. The metal frame bed seemed flimsy and unstable and the canvas bed was great. I'd suggest two canvass beds or another double bed.

Also when we were setting the settee bed up we noticed it had been home to a few mice so we couldn't really use it for all the droppings. Later that night one of the mice had a good hike around the livingroom.

I'd suggest to anyone to stay here but take entertainment and extra bedding.

Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank s8383666345
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at The Grange for a walking weekend in mid-September. It is a very interesting old house stuffed full of antiques, Asia/Sub-Continent artifacts and local items (i.e. a huge stuffed Badger in a glass case and carved elephants, etc.). My room was large with a queen bed, couch and chair, large wardrobe and alcove closet, and a large bathroom with a big, claw foot bathtub with hand held shower attachment, coffee/tea making supplies and small TV.

I arrived on Friday around 17:00 to find a note on the door with my room key, as the host was returning from vacation and the stand-in had to leave early, this was okay and somewhat indicative of the safety of the local area, but became problematic when the lights in the bathroom didn't work (well there was 1 small bulb but the others had blown out), and I had to leave the curtain open in order to shave. After my first morning, I asked if the duvet could be replaced with a sheet and blanket, which was done, but I had to ask again that night for the bulbs to be replaced. On my last night, one of the end table lamps blew a bulb which shorted out the bathroom lights, fortunately I can brush my teeth in the dark. I was also disappointed to find that there were only 2 channels on the telly, as there isn't a lot to do after 21:00 in West Burton.

Overall, the service was adequate; the breakfast was good, if not the most cheerful service. Perhaps my minor problems were just my bad luck, or it could be just a function of staying in an old house? I would consider staying here again but then there isn't a lot of choice in West Burton, which I consider to be the prettiest village in the Yorkshire Dales.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Valleyguy2008
Reviewed September 26, 2012

very warm welcome very nice people lovely rooms were stuck in flood waters no were to stay had our dog with us breakfast lovely even put us a pack lunch up free of charge for our trip home would highly recommend it to anyone mr and mrs hope durham

Room Tip: any all are lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kim h
Reviewed September 15, 2012

A delightful village but a poor choice of accommodation.
The cold, dark dining-room and the general air of grubbiness might have been excused had the welcome been warm or friendly, as it invariably was at all the other places we stayed at.
We shall not return.

Room Tip: Don't rely on the website
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank miriamandjeff
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed with family in the carriage house for a long weekend 17th august 2012. Stayed in the self catering apartment at the rear of a fabulous grand country house. Absolutely breathtakingly stunning gardens and grounds with 2 little ponds and really relaxing atmosphere. Apartment was lovely, very spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Well equipped kitchen, comfortable lounge and nice spacious bedrooms with luxurious bedding. We were greeted well, even allowed to check in earlier as we arrived earlier, some places would make you wait. Although the apartments are seperate from the b&b (house) and we were left to our own devices we were given a contact number and told that there was usually someone around if we should need them so cant agree with some other negative reveiws about welcomes etc They had forgotten to provide bedding for the sofa bed in the lounge which my teenage son was using but when i asked for it they provided lovely freshly pressed linen within the hour so no problems there. The only negative i could mention was that it could do with the old beams hoovering or dusting as they seem to be home to lots of skinny long legged spiders and some BIG spiders in corners and ornaments etc put me off as i am an arachnaphobe!! Yes i no were in the countryside but i dont want to share my house with more of them than us! Lol! And also i dont think the fridge was working properly as our fresh milk went off within 2 days and things didnt seem cold enough. But other than that it was perfect. The little stream across the road in another nice garden belonging to The Grange has nice picnic area which we used and enjoyed.
The village itself is lovely very quiet a nice village pub on the village green with mostly friendly staff but food a little overpriced compared to other places we found slighly further afield. Lots of lovely places to visit. The cheese place was good too. Found the most amazing pub in Aysgarth just 5 min drive called Aysgarth Falls hotel situated right above the aysgarth waterfalls. This had amazing gardens and views and the food is delicious. Sunday lunch was fab and cheesecake to die for!!! Lovely friendly staff made us feel very welcome and the young girl waitress was lovely even though she was new to the place, anything she didnt know she went and asked for us. Would love to stay here too as the decor was lovely downstairs so can only imagine what the hotel is like. Overall a wonderful stay, i cant wait to return. Fell in love with the Yorkshire dales didnt realise there was so many beautiful places there with such welcoming people.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have never written on here before despite utilising it regularly prior to traveling; this time however I feel I have almost been forced into adding my thoughts.

We recently stayed in the Carriage House for a 2 night break, this however started off very badly and was completely my own fault. I had emailed the owners requesting a vacancy on the 10th/11th August, I got a response stating that they had a vacancy on the 11th/12th. I saw that they said they did have a vacancy, didn’t register that it was on different dates, told them I wanted to book and paid in full.

Following making full payment I emailed to arrange gaining access into the apartment, I stated that I would be there late on the Friday night (not their fault I booked wrong date) asked about how we would get in to the flat and which one it was, no response.

We duly arrived on the Friday night (a day early) and couldn’t get in, in hind sight no real surprise. We tried calling them (landline and mobile), no response, we tried the B&B no response. We left a voicemail on the mobile and sent a text, no response, after 30mins we disturbed the couple in one of the apartments (turns out it was the one we booked) and got another mobile number, no response.

At this point we gave up and went to the local pub, more perplexed and a bit put out rather than anything else, please bear in mind at this point we genuinely thought we were there on the right day. We got a drink and asked about, the bar maid was very helpful and a local in the pub knew the boyfriend/partner of one of the owners (result). They spoke to the partner who checked and couldn’t find our booking. At this point I was checking through my emails (Blackberry) and saw my mistake, despite all the titles on the emails referring to the correct dates and the message from me saying we’d be here on the Friday they had indeed booked us in on the Saturday/Sunday night (not their fault).

Again at this point we still haven’t spoken to the owners it was all done via 2 third parties. I was embarrassed by my mistake (not angry at them) especially now the news has spread through the village, everyone knew. There was a vacancy at the pub, phew, we stayed there the night, still no responses from the owners to any of the messages though. I send another message on Friday explaining that I had realised my mistake and ask them what time we can get in on the following day. Still no response, nothing, zip, zero.

I have emailed since we got back following the weekend and have still heard nothing, not a thing since they took their cash!

I expect they will respond to this as it is in the public and could in some way affect their business, the same as I am sure the lady from the Independent received a very different level of service.

I completely accept that I booked the wrong dates but to have called and called them, left voicemails, left texts and sent emails since returning and to have still heard nothing is beyond rude.

I am posting this fully expecting an excuse to be posted in reply but my warning to all is that while the village is great and the apartment large; woe betide you if your there and the shower breaks (which is rubbish by the way) or the boiler won’t come on or anything else; as it appears the only way to get a response from the owners is to write on Trip Advisor.

In anticipation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mathew B

Been to The Grange? Share your experiences!