“Very tasty meal”

Ranked #13 of 21 Restaurants in Coldstream
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Rochford Wines is less than an hour’s drive from Melbourne – and a great place in the Yarra Valley to spend an afternoon with magnificent food and company – with views overlooking the vineyards and a cellar door team ready to run you through Rochford’s award-winning wine list - you’ll be left wondering why you hadn’t come sooner! The Rochford Wines award-winning restaurant – Isabella’s- can seat up to 240 for major corporate events while offering the intimacy of a quiet dinner for two. Rochford Wines is a showpiece in the region with its outstanding function facilities; it is perfect for corporate events, conferences and weddings. Stroll through Rochford Wines gift shop where you’re sure to find the ideal gift! Often identified with the iconic “A Day On the Green” music festivals, Rochford Wines in the heart of the Yarra Valley. No wonder Rochford Wines has been acknowledged as an outstanding tourism destination as well as magnificent winery. ROCHFORD WINES – MORE THAN JUST A WINERY!
Durban, South Africa
“Very tasty meal”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I enjoyed my lunch here, the food was good - especially the salmon salad - and the service wasn't bad. I would return again :)

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Rhett R
Rochford W, Social Media Manager at Rochford Wines Yarra Valley, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Your review is greatly appreciated and we'd love to see you return any time you can.

Yours sincerely,

Social Media @
Rochford Wines

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
victoria
“Nice food, terrible service!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Whilst on a Gourmet Food and Wine Tour, we stopped at Rochford Winery for lunch. Prior to the tour, I had requested a gluten free meal, and confirmed that there would definitely be one provided. When the meal was served, the entree, main and dessert were all presented on the one platter/plate. My meal was delivered by a casually dressed man (apparently the owner of the establishment, I found out later). When I questioned whether the cake was gluten free on my plate, he clearly said “NO, it’s not.” I told him I couldn’t have a meal served like that if the cake had gluten because the crumbs could easily contaminate my meal. He grabbed the plate, and stormed off. A few minutes later, he slammed the plate down in front of me, and said aggressively, “It’s all gluten free, even the bloody crumbs!’ and then stormed off again.
I couldn’t believe that he behaved so appallingly. I even asked my friend if I had heard him correctly, and she confirmed that I had. As a coeliac, who prefers not to eat out these days, through fear of being violently ill if I am served a contaminated meal, I felt humiliated in front of the other people on the tour. I don’t know why a person with such disregard for customer satisfaction, could be the face of the winery. What standard does he set for the staff that work under him? I have a genuine health issue, and am not on some fad diet!
My experience at Rochford Winery was extremely unpleasant, and ruined the rest of my tour.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank traveldog40
Rochford Y, Owner at Rochford Wines Yarra Valley, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
To traveldog40,

I am sincerely sorry that i offended you in any way.

Rochford Wines does take differing dietary requirements very seriously. I regret that i didn't do a lot more to express this in your case and make you feel more comfortable. Given the time again i would do things differently. We are proud to have Gluten/Dairy free and Vegetarian menu options to cater for as many people as possible.

By no means is it an excuse nor justification for behavior but even though you mention in your comments about informing the tour group prior, Rochford had not been correctly informed about your condition.

I offer my sincere apologies.

Regards,
Helmut
Owner - Rochford Wines
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing Lunch”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I took my Wife for Sunday lunch to Rochford what a disappointment ,Noise,Expensive,Food terrible,Bad Service, and no Atmosphere keep away from this place

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank SELLCO
Rochford W, Public Relations Manager at Rochford Wines Yarra Valley, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I am deeply concerned about your experience with us.

We welcome feedback and are always looking at ways to improve the service offering for our customers.

We would like to know a few more of the specifics of your experience so we can put systems in place to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Your comments are important and it would be greatly appreciated if you could contact us on 03 5962 2119 to discuss further.

Warm Regards,
Brisbane, Australia
“Be Forewarned!!!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Extremely disappointing. My husband took me to Rochford for Mother's Day lunch. At $85 per person ( the most expensive in the Yarra Valley!), I expected something decent and was let down on everything from food quality to service. The food was pub quality, the wine overpriced, and the wait staff uncaring and unattentive. Standing in line to pay after our meal, we overheard two other families complaining of the same service and meals only to be shrugged off by the manager who was just as uncaring and unattentive as his staff!!!

Don't waste your time or money at Rochfools when there are so many other brilliant wines and food nearby. Thanks to the folks at Chandon and Yering Station, we will be back to Yarra Valley but never again to Rochford.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Rebecca A
I am deeply concerned about your experience with us.

Warm Regards,

The Team at Rochford Wines
Melbourne, Australia
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

First of all I shall say this is my first review of a restaurant, (or anything for that matter) but after dwelling on my experiences at this 'establishment' for a few weeks now i have decided to share.

Before even walking in through the front door (after navigating an awkward car park) we could smell something foul just outside. That should have been our cue to turn and walk away but we continued on. The cellar door is the first thing you see as you walk in, and on this occassion it seemed fairly busy. Trying to squeeze a pram and my heavilly pregnant wife through the commotion was yet another hurdle we should have skipped but instead we carried on.

We then stepped into the main dining area and were guided toward the menu. We were told that there were two menu's, a restaurant menu and a cafe menu. After a quick glance we chose the cafe (as the restaurant seemed incredibly expensive) and were seated by what seemed to be the maitre d. He showed us our menu's and instructed a nearby waiter to take our drink orders, then wished us a pleasent lunch and returned to greet other guests. Meanwhile we waited. And waited. And waited. Finally a waitress (our third face so far) came and asked what we would like for lunch. When i pointed out we hadn't ordered drinks yet she apologised and scurried off toward the bar. Without taking our drink order.

By this time we were feeling a bit neglected and i sought out the man who seated us almost a half hour beforehand. I explained our thirst and he was more than happy to help us, taking our order for both drinks and food.

Before our lunch came out i decided to change my young daughter. On inspecting the toilet facillities i found no change mat/table. I asked a nearby waitress where i could change my baby's nappy. She said 'in the toilet'. I explained there was no table and she smiled and said "oh, sorry".

After changing my child on the cold floor like a caveman i returned to our table feeling a little annoyed. Shortly after, our drinks arrived... which were wrong. And then our food.

The food was ok. I had a steak which came with a large serving of thin chips and a few deep fried onion rings. The steak was tasty, but a little chewy, and quite expensive. My wife had the salmon salad. She said the salmon was tasty (overdone which is what we asked for) but the salad was almost ineddible. I then made the error of asking for some mustard for my steak.

The waitress that came to my side (number four) asked what kind. I asked for french and she disappeared toward the kitchen. When she returned a few minutes later she said the kitchen only had dijon or seeded(!) I'm no foodie but i believe french mustard and dijon mustard to be similar, if not the same? Anyway i politely said dijon would be fine, only to have her return with seeded mustard. I told her of her mistake but she seemed unaware, more interested in going back to the bar and chatting to the rest of the staff that had congregated there.

I must admit my patience at this point was almost nil, and so i said to her simply "this mustard is seeded. you can tell because it has seeds in it" She laughed nervously, apologised and wandered off. We never saw her again. Or my mustard.

After being ignored for almost an hour and a half we decied to skip dessert and leave. When we went to pay our bill we we asked for almost $200. Quite clearly incorrect as we had two drinks and two meals. The woman at the till apologised and fixed the mistake. We left feeling very dissappointed. Such a beautiful venue being run by incompetant teenagers, who apologise after every mistake but fail to do any more than that.

My advice to anyone wishing to visit rochford wines is to seriously consider other venues in the beautiful yarra valley. There is better out there.

My advice for Rochford wines is simple. Stop saying sorry and start being better.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Jason D
Rochford Y, Owner at Rochford Wines Yarra Valley, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
To Jason D,

We value customer feedback at Rochford Wines. Even though it would be great to get 100% positive reviews we understand that negative reviews can be an important and effective tool to improve customer satisfaction. Rochford Wines is always interested in ways to improve.

In this case I am unimpressed with the defamatory way you have expressed your comments.

Regards,