All reviews four poster bed small hotel quiet location short break breakfast was excellent filey mushrooms daniella
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Where oh where to begin with this hotel? Room 32 accessed by a rickety wooden noisy staircase. Dark, dingy and in dire need of refurbishment. Both coffee cups were dirty and remained dirty for the duration of our 2 night stay. Bathroom...terrible drain smell, dirty, cracked sink, other people's toothpaste around the taps, and other people's....well...use your imagination, but I went to the Spar in the village and bought myself a bottle of Domestos to bleach the toilet with!!! People in the adjacent room switched the shower on at 7am and the noise was like people were drilling through the wall. Shower in our room was poor. Dead flies floating in the milk at Breakfast time and really cheap sausages. Bar closed to residents at 11pm on Friday night. Bar man started blowing out candles before guests had left the bar. Dirty ashtrays and glasses on the outside tables from the previous night were not cleared away when guests came down for breakfast the next morning and 'cleaning in progress' signs everywhere. Grounds in desperate need of some tender loving care. Perhaps we would have pointed some of these things out when we left...but nobody asked us how our stay had been!!!
Owners - I hope you acquired this hotel for the property development opportunity. If you didn't then PLEASE contact a consultant to advise you on the possibilities. Even if you spend a million pounds on redevelopment the hotel will not offer a strong long term return. I have spent over 1000 nights in hotels in the last 10 years.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rrrosielee
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Sooo sorry for not reading your responses before booking here!
We didn't feel welcomed at all! We spent fifteen minutes trying to find someone to speak to about a couple of things after we had checked in but there was no one around at all! After a while we came back down and spent another ten minutes trying to find someone to put our baby's milk just into a fridge!
The next morning we complained about the absolutely disgusting state of the bathroom only to return to find it still dirty and in the same state as we found it. Hairs all over the floor and muck/dirt all round the edges. We only had a few days holiday and didnt want to spend the whole time trying to find someone to complain so we just kept our daughter out of the bathroom and spent as much time away from the hotel as possible. Don't get fooled by the 'family room' either...it's just a double bed with a travel cot at the bottom with hardly any other space in the room. A small window which only opened at the top and a thick full blind let no air in so the room was stuffy hot and difficult to keep the baby cool at night.
On the morning of our last day we asked to speak to the owners but staff were unclear as to when they would be in as there was a wedding on and they were busy preparing for that. We got the impression that they are more interested in the wedding side of the business than the satisfaction of the bed and breakfast customers. We weren't asked as to why we wanted to speak to the owners which to us said that they were used to people complaining and didn't want to know! We weren't asked if we had had a nice stay or any other pleasantries weren't exchanged which added to the feeling of been unwelcome. lovely village with great pub for evening meals and not far at all from scarborough or Filey but trip spoilt by the accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank elsieowl
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked east ayton lodge for our wedding reception saturday 22nd june couldnt of wished for a better day
staff food.and service were perfect my dream of a fairytale wedding definetly came true with the help of all staff at east ayton lodge
Our family and friends stayed the night all rooms were clean well presented
overall if u are looking for a venue for a wedding u cant go wrong at east ayton lodge perfect food staff service and grounds

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have stayed at the East Ayton Lodge on three separate occasions for one night only (b&b) and found the location excellent for visiting the Yorkshire coastal resorts of Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Filey, Bridlington, Bempton nature reserve etc. It is also within a reasonable travelling distance for visiting York.

On my first visit in 2012 the hotel was replacing all the beds throughout the hotel and the staff informed us that the hotel had a new owner and the whole place was being refurbished. I stayed in the outer block and the rooms are spacious, clean and well provided with good towels and toiletries. On my last visit on 29 May 2013, again one night b&b, I was in the main hotel ( a four poster bed) but I preferred the outer block. Breakfast was very good on my previous visits but on my last visit the waitress informed us that certain items listed on the menu were not available, ie mushrooms, black pudding and muffins. My husband has the full breakfast, which was good and plentiful enough for the largest appetite, but I would call the "missing" items as basic staple breakfast items and felt that the hotel rather let itself down somewhat by not having such basic items in their kitchen. I have not had an evening meal here so cannot pass an opinion regarding that meal.

All in all, I would say that this is a good place to stay, the staff are friendly and helpful and I will certainly visit again when in this area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

W spent one night over the bank holiday weekend. We had 3 rooms, all in the outer block. All of the rooms were spacious and comfortable although the decor was slightly a dated and some of the furniture was battered. We did appreciate the comfortable armchairs in the rooms. Toiletries were provided, but different rooms had different supplies.
The location was pleasant, the weather was lovely so being able to sit outside with a drink was a bonus - a few more outside tables would be nice.
We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant, choosing from the bar menu, which was excellent. The burgers were delicious, tastefully presented. The scampi was juicy and the mushroom stroganoff had plenty of mushrooms. The desserts were tasty but probably bigger portions that necessary - 2 people could easily have shared the chocolate brownie.
Unfortunately some guests arrived very late and were in rooms above our party. They arrives with a small child to get to sleep and took a long time to settle in, and the sound carried downstairs. We even phoned reception to find out what was happening.
Breakfast the next morning was very good. The printed menu was limited, but the kitchen was happy to mix and match items for us, which meant there was a lot of flexibility. The bacon was delicious.
We did get a bargain rate, so were happy with the value for money. I might have been more concerned if I had paid the advertised price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family