All reviewsfour poster bedsmall hotelquiet locationshort breakbreakfast was excellentfileymushroomsdaniella
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I spent a very enjoyable 3 hours at East Ayton Lodge yesterday evening. My husband, daughter and I joined another family for a quick bite to eat. On the grand discovery of a "playroom" for the children (aged 3 & 4) we were left to enjoy a good chat in peace over a few drinks.
My husband and I ordered the sausage and mash which we both thought was very tasty. The other couple both ordered burgers (all from the bar menu). I have to say as the burgers arrived I was more than a little envious. The presentation was excellent and by all accounts it tasted just as good. The children had pizza & chips and fish fingers chips & beans from the children's menu which also received no complaints (high praise indeed!). A warm chocolate brownie with icecream rounded off the evening nicely.

Will definately be going back soon.

Just a thought but can East Ayton Lodge also be listed under the restaurant reviews?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LILY1977
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were travelling to Scarborough to visit family and had a young baby with us. The lady who greeted us was very hospitable and we were grateful for her kind attempt at adjusting things to our needs given that we had a little baby and for that we were grateful.

Apart from that, this hotel experience was absolutely appalling. I was concerned about the health and safety of my baby in this hotel. Our room had a significant degree of fungi growing on the walls in the bathroom, the walls, sheets, and carpets were stained and appeared very unclean. There were broken tiles on the bathroom floor, the shower was not working properly and had a light literally in the shower next to the shower head (as in a standard room light fitting!), and when we ran the bath, the bath water was yellow. We ran the water through for a while and after having drained, there was silt or sand in the base of the bath. When we asked for cleaning equipment and several towels to use on the floors (to cover the broken tiles and the questionable cleanliness of the floor), the evening on call person who tended to us seemed to act like this wasn't an odd request...

We ate in the restaurant and both my child and I were ill the following day - vomiting and bloating. I was tempted to ask to see health and safety certificates for the hotel but to be honest I just wanted to get my child away from the hotel as fast as we could.

However, when we reported the issue on checkout with the lady mentioned above, she did appear horrified and stated that she would rectify the problem. She also agreed to our request to reduce the price of the room to reflect our disappointment. The night staff did offer to send housekeeping and offered to let us switch rooms, but by this time our baby was asleep (in a cot we brought with us!) and we felt that as he was in his own cot it was clean and safe and we didn't want to disrupt him.

The hotel is not as it appears on the advertisements! There were some good reviews for this hotel and so perhaps we were just really unlucky in our experience of the room and the food, but I'd check your room very carefully on entry!

Room Tip: Room 14 - fungus bathroom!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank traveldoctor_75
Sarah H, Owner at East Ayton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Sir
so sorry you had these problems. I couldn't agree more with your comments on Room 14. This room has been decommissioned for some weeks due to the state it is in and compounded by a huge leak in the bathroom. I was not in the Hotel during your stay but was horrified to discover on my return that somehow you had been booked into that room and furthermore a member of staff had actually checked you into it.
I cannot believe this happened and extend my sincerest apologies for this. I too would have complained bitterly had I been staying in it.
I can assure you that the rest of the rooms are most definitely not in that condition.
I will contact you personally to apologise.
Sarah Hillan
Proprietor

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Christmas dinner ,,,Massive disapointment,,,starter.ok prawn cocktail difficult to mess up here.had to remind waiter to bring bread ( turned up little buns...had taste of bleach)...
main course..two small thin slices of turkey,one very small piece of stuffing (smaller than a golf ball poss Aunt Bessies),,,one pig in blanket the size of a party sausage......dish of mixed carrots & sprouts,swimming in water dish of hot pickled red cabbage,dish of roast potato's, oh & not forgeting a gravy boat,,,,we had a xmas pudding for sweat which was aprox.the size of the bottom half inch of a vending machine cofee cup (very tiny) must have very tiny mould to make these.....£45.00 per person....where was the mash or boiled potato's,brocolie or cauilflower,roast parsnips....not too much to ask for, or much more expence for xmas dinner i dont think...
to say this ruined our christmas day would be an understatement...
The portion sizes would not have satisfied a 6 year old child......feel very bitter at the costs there were seven of us so our total spend was in the region of £270.00 would have got more & better quality at a greasy spoon cafe ...
We were also charged incorectly charged for eight meals not seven,so went back for refund,,,no one available to issue refund,asked receptionist to contact owner by phone said that couldnt be done & that i would have to go back following day,i said what would happen if there were a fire or the chef cut his hand off, or a guest fell down the stairs,,would owner be contacted then ????....not happy so asked if he could refund me from bar till..no joy here either....so insisted they left an envelope with cash for me to collect the following day at reception so i didn't have to start the whole scenario again.....Big surprise no management at the hotel again,no envelope.Receptionist now able to contact owner by phone & eventually told to get the money from THE BAR TILL........What a joke.....also left my contct details for management to contact me but still waiting......i am local to Scarborough, run my own business & know an awfull lot of people, so will not be recomending East Ayton Lodge to any of my friends or customers to go there for christmas dinner in the future...
ps waiting staff & chap at reception very polite.....Management sadly lacking.........would have given a zero rating but that option is not available.....i am very easily pleased & not a seriel moaner,,,but this was in my wifes words a JOKE....we were looking for the hidden cameras....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ronnieloflof
Sarah H, Owner at East Ayton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

So sorry you were disappointed. We had excellent feedback on the day and as a consequence, secured bookings for new years eve. I remember your table as it was the only complaint out of 120 covers. Your complaint on the day was not enough turkey, which was addressed and you were given more. The other complaint from you, was no mash or peas. I'm afraid it's impossible to cater for everyone's taste in vegetables. I was told by many customers that the customer service was excellent. One of my very lovely, smiley waitresses, who is only 16, was made to feel increasingly uncomfortable, every time she passed your table, with the unnecessary comments of how the service would be better in a greasy spoon caff.
Furthermore, you were not charged anything for the four people who were booked in with your party but who did not attend - two who phoned to cancel on xmas morning and two who did not show up at all. You should have been charged for all 11. Instead you were only charged for the people in attendance. I charged you for one extra in error. I spent boxing day with my children, giving them their xmas day but the manager was there. I was at the hotel all day on the 27th. I believe you were given the refund in cash on the evening of the 27th? This doesnt sound too much of a problem. My staff would never give a cash refund without my permission which was obtained that evening you came back for it. Yes i would most certainly have been there should something terrible have happened at the hotel but my member of staff knew i was spending the day with my children and took the decision not to bother me on boxing day. You'll have to take that up with him.
You can choose to bad mouth my establishment but i would say that to threaten my business for not enough turkey, no mash or peas, says more about you than me.
I have no doubts as to how much my staff and i put into making everyone feel that they had a good xmas day. I' m very sorry you did not experience the same.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night only, booking 5 rooms. Due to the nature of our business we were going to arrive very late (11.30pm) but this was not an issue for the Hotel and its staff, they stayed up late for us, kept the bar and kitchen open so we were fed and watered. All the staff were very friendly and very helpful and still very cheerful even when we ordered deserts and another round of drinks at around 1am! The room I personally stayed in was very comfortable, nice large bed, tv, tea & coffee etc etc. Plenty of toiletries which is great as I always forget something! Sadly it was dark when we arrived and dark when we left at 6am so didn't get to see the place in its full glory but what we saw was true the website pictures. I would happily book again when next in the area. Sarah, the new owner, was so very helpful and was a credit to the venue with her helpful & 'Not a problem' attitude. We stay away most weekends with our business and often go hungry or get locked out due to the hours we keep so East Ayton Lodge was a breathe of fresh air.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is an attractive property set in a secluded area. Arrived a bit late on Saturday afternoon to get into the room. Only later at night did one realise that the window did not shut properly. Also, the shower didnt work, and the toilet seat was loose! Otherwise the room was fairly comfortable with the usual faclities. Staff at the desk ordered a taxi for me to go into Scarborough, and served an enjoyable breakfast, cooked to order.It appeared from some of the letters on the wall, that the present owners had only taken over in recent months, but the issue of the bedroom fittings had not come to their attention.

Room Tip: Check the basics before accepting the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo