“christmas dinner.....”
Review of East Ayton Lodge

East Ayton Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Ayton
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Christmas dinner ,,,Massive disapointment,,,starter.ok prawn cocktail difficult to mess up here.had to remind waiter to bring bread ( turned up little buns...had taste of bleach)...
main course..two small thin slices of turkey,one very small piece of stuffing (smaller than a golf ball poss Aunt Bessies),,,one pig in blanket the size of a party sausage......dish of mixed carrots & sprouts,swimming in water dish of hot pickled red cabbage,dish of roast potato's, oh & not forgeting a gravy boat,,,,we had a xmas pudding for sweat which was aprox.the size of the bottom half inch of a vending machine cofee cup (very tiny) must have very tiny mould to make these.....£45.00 per person....where was the mash or boiled potato's,brocolie or cauilflower,roast parsnips....not too much to ask for, or much more expence for xmas dinner i dont think...
to say this ruined our christmas day would be an understatement...
The portion sizes would not have satisfied a 6 year old child......feel very bitter at the costs there were seven of us so our total spend was in the region of £270.00 would have got more & better quality at a greasy spoon cafe ...
We were also charged incorectly charged for eight meals not seven,so went back for refund,,,no one available to issue refund,asked receptionist to contact owner by phone said that couldnt be done & that i would have to go back following day,i said what would happen if there were a fire or the chef cut his hand off, or a guest fell down the stairs,,would owner be contacted then ????....not happy so asked if he could refund me from bar till..no joy here either....so insisted they left an envelope with cash for me to collect the following day at reception so i didn't have to start the whole scenario again.....Big surprise no management at the hotel again,no envelope.Receptionist now able to contact owner by phone & eventually told to get the money from THE BAR TILL........What a joke.....also left my contct details for management to contact me but still waiting......i am local to Scarborough, run my own business & know an awfull lot of people, so will not be recomending East Ayton Lodge to any of my friends or customers to go there for christmas dinner in the future...
ps waiting staff & chap at reception very polite.....Management sadly lacking.........would have given a zero rating but that option is not available.....i am very easily pleased & not a seriel moaner,,,but this was in my wifes words a JOKE....we were looking for the hidden cameras....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ronnieloflof
Sarah H, Owner at East Ayton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

So sorry you were disappointed. We had excellent feedback on the day and as a consequence, secured bookings for new years eve. I remember your table as it was the only complaint out of 120 covers. Your complaint on the day was not enough turkey, which was addressed and you were given more. The other complaint from you, was no mash or peas. I'm afraid it's impossible to cater for everyone's taste in vegetables. I was told by many customers that the customer service was excellent. One of my very lovely, smiley waitresses, who is only 16, was made to feel increasingly uncomfortable, every time she passed your table, with the unnecessary comments of how the service would be better in a greasy spoon caff.
Furthermore, you were not charged anything for the four people who were booked in with your party but who did not attend - two who phoned to cancel on xmas morning and two who did not show up at all. You should have been charged for all 11. Instead you were only charged for the people in attendance. I charged you for one extra in error. I spent boxing day with my children, giving them their xmas day but the manager was there. I was at the hotel all day on the 27th. I believe you were given the refund in cash on the evening of the 27th? This doesnt sound too much of a problem. My staff would never give a cash refund without my permission which was obtained that evening you came back for it. Yes i would most certainly have been there should something terrible have happened at the hotel but my member of staff knew i was spending the day with my children and took the decision not to bother me on boxing day. You'll have to take that up with him.
You can choose to bad mouth my establishment but i would say that to threaten my business for not enough turkey, no mash or peas, says more about you than me.
I have no doubts as to how much my staff and i put into making everyone feel that they had a good xmas day. I' m very sorry you did not experience the same.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night only, booking 5 rooms. Due to the nature of our business we were going to arrive very late (11.30pm) but this was not an issue for the Hotel and its staff, they stayed up late for us, kept the bar and kitchen open so we were fed and watered. All the staff were very friendly and very helpful and still very cheerful even when we ordered deserts and another round of drinks at around 1am! The room I personally stayed in was very comfortable, nice large bed, tv, tea & coffee etc etc. Plenty of toiletries which is great as I always forget something! Sadly it was dark when we arrived and dark when we left at 6am so didn't get to see the place in its full glory but what we saw was true the website pictures. I would happily book again when next in the area. Sarah, the new owner, was so very helpful and was a credit to the venue with her helpful & 'Not a problem' attitude. We stay away most weekends with our business and often go hungry or get locked out due to the hours we keep so East Ayton Lodge was a breathe of fresh air.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is an attractive property set in a secluded area. Arrived a bit late on Saturday afternoon to get into the room. Only later at night did one realise that the window did not shut properly. Also, the shower didnt work, and the toilet seat was loose! Otherwise the room was fairly comfortable with the usual faclities. Staff at the desk ordered a taxi for me to go into Scarborough, and served an enjoyable breakfast, cooked to order.It appeared from some of the letters on the wall, that the present owners had only taken over in recent months, but the issue of the bedroom fittings had not come to their attention.

Room Tip: Check the basics before accepting the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David R
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Once again we finished our annual Coast to Coast event at the East Ayton Lodge. Despite an ongoing change of ownership we were made most welcome.
The staff was laregely unchanged and remained most accomodating to our somewhat special needs. They permitted the partking of our cars on the front lawn for example and had cut the grass in access areas but left it longer where the cars parked. Smart thinking!
It all helps in making the entrants feel welcome and adds to the event.
Will we be going back for uor 21st event well it is already booked.

Chris Lee
Lancashire Automobile Club

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have more character but the other rooms are quieter - take your cjhoice
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have just had our 20th year's stay at the East Ayton Lodge Country Hotel (in July 2012) and have booked again 6th October for 30 rooms & 55 people on a charity car run; EAL is just superb as a venue for such events - (especially weddings); and now the Lodge is under new ownership, it has only got better, and Sarah & Lincoln say they have great plans for this fantastic place in a wonderful location - for me = Highly Recommended , for location, accommodation, wines, food, breakfast too and ambience. Just do It !!

Room Tip: If you are a party of 4 or 6 - go for the Coach House !!! Its the tops.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked into East Ayton Lodge as a treat for the weekend and after scouring the internet all week decided that it suited our needs. The internet showed it being a very beautiful hotel and the rooms looked perfect. The grounds and downstairs of the hotel are very nice but when we entered our room we were so disappointed. There were dirty towels on the floor from the previous guests and the bedding was dirty. The staff apologised and explained that the previous guests had booked in for two nights but had left early and no-one had been to clean the room as yet. The room itself beyond the cleaning was very tired and was in much need of refurbishment. We accepted the reasons for not being clean but we could not justify paying all that money for a very small and shabby room. We did not stay as we felt we could find better accomodation for our £95. Disappointed :-(

Room Tip: don't expect the same standards of rooms as on the internet guide
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah H, Owner at East Ayton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

I'm so sorry you were disappointed. As I recall your booking came through on one of the booking sites and had been booked on the same day as your arrival date. Unfortunately we had a wedding and the better rooms in the hotel were occupied. Having only taken over the hotel some 5 weeks ago, I sympathise, as I am only too aware of the rooms that need attention.

I hope you will try us again sometime, when we will have made some improvements.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had our wedding here and could not have asked for a better day. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are fantastic for the children to run around & have fun, the staff are lovely & the food is wonderful!! We had a blessing in the conservatory with all the doors open onto the garden & it was just spectacular, our reception was in the main resturant & the food & service could not be faulted at all. Our guests took over the hotel & it was lovely to get up in the morning & have breakfast together, all in all a wonderful weekend. There was a slight mix up with a couple o the room but the staff had it sorted straight away & the manager could not have been more helpful. Beautiful xx

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are not in the main hotel but a seperate annex, this is not a problem as far as I...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
#17 of 26 in Scarborough
Ox Pasture Hall Hotel
Ox Pasture Hall Hotel
#3 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to East Ayton Lodge? Share your experiences!