All reviews swim up bar other guests the managers panama city bocas del toro boat ride fish paddle boards pool table four seasons bug spray beautiful pool needed anything view of the ocean dvd player chocolate farm warm water
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We couldn't have been happier with our visit to Popa Paradise. It was so fantastic to be so remotely located from the mainland. We could do nothing, or anything, on any given day. The pool and beach were equally great options for us on the "nothing" days. We took two excursions on the catamaran - a snorkeling trip and a visit to a very secluded beach on a neck of land solely inhabited by the indigenous peoples. We would highly recommend taking the day trips - we felt like these were among the more special experiences of our honeymoon.

The casita was clean and comfortable and very private. The only fault we had with it was the shower, but as you can see from the 5 star review, it isn't enough to alter our overall opinion. It was VERY difficult to navigate between freezing cold and scalding hot, and the pressure was non-existent. But we really didn't care - the ocean was the best way to rinse off!

The food is excellent there - Darrion really is a talented, inventive, self-taught chef. We ate fish every day, twice a day, and never tired of it. His soups and chowders are absolutely unbelievable - you'd think hot soup would be the last thing you'd want there in April, with temperatures in the 90s, but it was too good to pass up.

The staff (Dyllan, Darrion, and Ty, among others!) are so friendly, sweet, and very laid back - welcoming without being overbearing. We adored the quirky vibe they imbue to the resort and missed them the second we left the island!

Transfers to and from the resort are made simple with their help.

One caveat - we arrived the day after Easter, which apparently concluded a very busy week for the resort. When we arrived, there were only a small handful of guests. For our last two days, we were the ONLY guests there. This made the experience extra special for us - but others may want more social activity! We got to hang out with the owners & staff, and dined with the boat's captain, his wife, and their friends a couple of nights - they were a lot of fun!

It does rain/ get cloudy quite often in Bocas, so be sure to bring plenty to read. There is wifi in the clubhouse but we think the most special thing about the resort is the ability to disconnect from the world. Leave your laptop and iPad at home!

Overall, this is a very, very special place - and we couldn't be happier with our decision to honeymoon there!

Room Tip: I think we were in Casita 10 - farthest out from the others, right on top of the beach. The ocean crashing below you will lull you to sleep within seconds!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Many thanks for your great review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your honeymoon here with us and hope to see you back here for many anniversaries to come. The yacht excursion you took is an exclusive to Popa Paradise, taking you to special remote places no other tourists go to for an unforgettable experience!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Call me old fashion, but 5 star service is not about how expensive the sheets in the casita are. It's not about the materials used to trim the walkway around the infinity pool. It's not even about how far one can remove themselves from civilization. Don't get me wrong, the decor and design absolutely help to set the stage, but what separates Popa from other all-inclusives is the way the people and the resort can enrich your life.

5 star is about Ty going to town and getting the best bottle of bourbon he could find because I mentioned liking manhattans. It's about Darion welcoming my wife into the kitchen as if we were family visiting for the weekend. It's about the way you feel after talking to Dyllan about anything. It's about a staff that puts connection first and let's the natural beauty take it from there. And just because I don't want to leave it understated, THE PLACE IS GORGEOUS.

Popa Paradise is absolutely worth the adventure. Try the Yoga. Take the boat out for a day. Go step outside yourself for a bit. We did and loved every minute of it. Thanks to everyone!

Katie and I will certainly be back! ..."FASHION SHOW!!!"

Collin and Katie
Chicago, IL

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Collin S
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank so much for your outstanding review. It was such a pleasure to meet you, for us here meeting wonderful people from all over the world and making good friends is was makes our job such an amazing experience. We look forward to seeing you back here real soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had a good time. Nice people managing and working at the place. Ty, Darrion and Dyllan were all great and made our stay very enjoyable. Darrion is a very talented cook, so every night we had some amazing dinners. The rooms were very clean and all of the other staff were very nice.

It was a cool location. I'd recommend this place for anyone looking to get away or looking to stay off the grid. I was here with my fiance and she loved it as well. It was nice to get away for a few days and we will go back if we're around bocas/popa again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Many thanks for your great review and kind words, hope you see you back here for the destination wedding!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Although we didn't really know what we were getting into when we first booked our trip to Popa, we wound up finding the perfect vacation destination for us and hope to return as soon as possible. We arrived at Popa by boat and were immediately taken with our beautiful surroundings and the warmth and ease of Dyllan, Darion & Ty, who truly helped make our experience so unique. From beginning to end of our Popa experience, we had nothing but pure enjoyment. The resort was so relaxing, our casita was perfect, all of the staff was incredible and we had a great time on all of our excursions -- snorkeling, fishing and visiting the indigenous island of Papa Dos. Of course, there was also Darion's fantastic cooking which was nothing we could have anticipated - every meal was prepared with our taste in mind, with multiple lavish courses and gorgeous presentation each time. And of course, all of the drinks we could have wanted the entire time we were there! We became friendly with one of the other couples staying at the resort and had a great time hanging out in the evening as well as just being on our own. All in all, we have never had such a great time at a resort!! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: If you stay in one of the casitas that is closer to the main house, you will have internet in your room. If you stay in a casita that is further away (closer to the beach, which looked very peaceful), you wont have internet directly in your room, but you'll have it by the pool and in the main house, which is probably good enough anyway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your vacation with us and the many excursions we offer. Hope you see you back here soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've never EVER written a review online for anything but these guys have changed all the rules. Dyllan and Darion, along with Ty, have created a paradise that is so wonderfully off the grid that I am 100% returning. My new bride Megan and I stayed for 5 nights in this island paradise and have been having horrible withdrawls. THIS PLACE IS HEAVEN ON EARTH. Dyllan oversees the daily running of the hotel while Darion is the sort of emotional backbone of the place. They make you feel so welcome and you just get the feeling that any problem they can't handle will be handled by Tyler. Everything from the gourmet meals to the bar you swim right up to at the pool was incredible. It is an island so that means there will be some bug bites and not everything might be available on a moment to moment basis but you still feel totally taken care of. I would prefer this over any of the Hawaiian islands in a heartbeat. I want to feel like I'm off the grid but not fending for myself. These guys see to every detail from greeting us with fresh coconuts to allowing me to mooch cigarettes the whole time. We took a kickboxing class, got a massage, took multiple yoga classes, and Darion even brought us in for an impromptu cooking class. We were lucky that half the time there we were the only couple but I have to say that I love that they don't allow children there any longer. Sorry. I want tranquility on my getaways. The all inclusive element makes it so easy to just keep your bathing suit on for several days with no wallet, watch or cell phone needed. I give this place my strongest recommendation possible. Look no further. You've found it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Wow what a great first review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your honeymoon here with us. By being all inclusive and adults only we aim at giving you the most relaxing vacation ever. It was a great pleasure meeting you and hope to see you back here every year for you many anniversaries