“Excellent stay”

Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Utorda
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We had booked this hotel between 18th Jan to 22nd Jan'11.
Good hotel & excellent location.
Good services.
Food choices has to be better.
Good location as beach is just 3 mins walk from the hotel.
Clean beach.
Services from staff is excellent.
Rooms are spacious & clean.
The only improvement i felt was that there had to be more choices in the food available.
Excellent breakfast spread.
The hotel has a good ambience & is ideal for leasure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
ROBRS_GOA, Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

There are newer reviews for Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa

Reviewed February 17, 2011

A quiet hotel on Uttorda beach, perfect for a romantic getaway, or for relaxation and for some time in peace. The hotel is very comfortable and the staff very helpful but considering the tariff charged by the hotel one would expect something more from the hotel. The hotel is setup beautifully with comfortable rooms and a well maintained lawn. The restaurant offfers a sumptuous buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner although more variety in the food can be offered especially for lunch and dinner. Only word of caution is there is nothing interesting in the vicinity of the hotel and there is no private beach as is advertised. So u are largely restricted to the public beach behind the hotel and the hotel rooms.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

If you are looking to do the normal touristy things in Goa, then do not stay here. It is secluded and on a quiet beach with few shops and eateries nearby. The property is good, with nice lawns, well laid out rooms, pool and other facilities. It is not huge, so gives a cosy feel. The service is reasonably good by Goan standards. Considering that the rates are not 5star, do not expect 5star amenities and service. I would rate this a 3star hotel and calibrate your expectations accordingly. It definitely lives up to that. The only area where they can surely improve is the food. Since I like Goan food, I tried other options in the area, but most Indian travellers (or even foreignors) do not, so the hotel will need to improve on this to retain the F&B business.
They have a new spa which offers great treatment and worth checking out.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 7, 2011

Royal Orchid chain of hotels have slowly but steadily built solid reputation for offering great value for money & I have been a regular customer at couple of their properties. Once we decided for Goa vacation it was but natural to evaluate their newly acquired Goa property as well. However after reading not so nice reviews on trip advisor I had second thoughts on patronizing them.

Now after spending 5 nights & 6 days in early Feb’11 at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, I can safely vouch this to be the one of my best leisure holidays in Goa. Here are some of the reasons.

Highpoints
Extremely friendly staff – Through numerous experiences and at times attention to small requests, I have come to respect the staff at the hotel & would like to thank them from bottom of my heart for services rendered. It seems the entire staff practices great customer orientation not just pays lip service to guest requests. We were pleasantly surprised by Hotel’s preparation for our Marriage anniversary.
Great location – Uttorda beach is by far one of the best beaches in South Goa & there are enough fun activities around the beach area to keep you amused. We tried different water sports & Shacks nearby as well for food options.
Good food – we got a great deal in our meal package ( Breakfast & dinner included) & particularly liked the Burmese soups , pastas & Club Sandwiches during buffet. Unlike other hotel this hotel does not fleece the guests ordering Through room service.

Improvement areas
Continue to build better infrastructure in the hotel – since they have acquired this property it needs further investments to improve the overall quality of pool, rooms.
More leisure options like DVD, movies, books on rental
Get great DTH provider for TV channels

Suggestion for Guests
Plan your itinerary with Hotel in advance to get great value.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GirishJoshi

Thank you so much for taking time to express your experience. Lots of changes & ammendes have taken place. Thank you for the lovely comment on our staff.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

I went to this hotel for a honeymoon trip. Our trip started on 26 January 2011 and ended on 29 January 2011. I took their Luxury Honeymoon Package, it promised return airport transport, which was denied initially but provided when referred that it is mentioned in their web-site.
I have been allocated a Luxury Suite, which was clean and pleasant to stay. Hotel is at very erotic location with secluded beach. Beach is untouched by Goa's crowd environment which you could find in Calangute or Baga. But if you are looking for water-sport it is better you go to Calangute to have much cheaper deal.
One major problem with the location of the hotel is finding cheap travel i.e. hired bike. I would advise you to get friendly with a hotel waiter or staff to get a bike that would be much cheaper than travelling in taxi available just outside the hotel. Taxis are overly priced. I feel hotel should at least have few Honda Activa, available for rent.
Also, service of staff is just ordinary most of time they stand and you have to call them if you need anything though staff is very courteous.
In case you have taken a package like me, I advise you to take a print of what they mention on web-site. I have managed to take a cake but front-office denied me a bottle of wine saying it is not included in offer plus there is no Souvenir gift on departure. There was an incident when I asked them to arrange for a special table for two to celebrate my honeymoon with cake, wine and special sitting. I was just provided with cake directly to room and reserved plate at the usual dinner arrangement with not even a flower. Whenever, I ordered additional drink and signed the bill at Sunken Bar, I never found 20% discount which was included in my package for beverages and food.
Best part I like is Beach Shack, which is at exquisite location with tasty sea food.
Summary:
1. Make sure you take print out of what you been promised at package
2. Before signing the bill, make sure they give you 20% if included in packages on all your additional drinks and food.
Conclusion:
Recommended but take above tips to take maximum value for money you pay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank arsaksena
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Its comments like yours that help us strive to get better. Thanks a lot , assure this is not the case now. Await to see you soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in the first week of january.This property has a beautiful location and nice rooms which were in great condition.Climate was very pleasant around this time.Food was really good,I specially like the variety in the menu.Room service was very quick.we were well entertained during dinner with some live music and much more.the pool was amazing with fun things to do,and the staff was equally amazing.Our check in and checkout experience was smooth.The staff here is very professional and friendly.They made our stay pleasant and entertaining at the same time.They've got a very nice spa to,we had a very relaxed time here.There's a beautiful beach facing the hotel which was less crowded.We had a lot of fun playing volleyball and being part of some thrilling watersports.We've already planned our next trip here.As for me I cant wait to return.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sharmanitesh76

Thank you for such a nice comment. We await to serve you better.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is a resort owned by Indians..so I guess this is why they treat you like an Indian from India....If you are an international guest then look out!

I wrote this letter to the general manager:

The trip was supposed to be a honeymoon, but due to all the inconveniences we experienced at the Royal Orchid I will have to book another trip to make up for the poor vacation we had at your resort, here are some of the things that went wrong during our 8 day stay:

*I completed a comment card three days before check out for the duty manager- Victor but I am unsure if he received it or if he has forwarded it to you. Victor never made an attempt to meet with me or ask me if the hotel staff have improved since my first complaint. Please reply to this message so that I know you have received it.

1. Room
We were asked if a single night upgrade into a 1 bed suite (room #207) would be okay in place of the room we had originally booked. This is something I was not happy about because I knew we would have to move all of our clothes and luggage to another room after one night. Even with the help of a baggage handler this was very inconvenient when we were trying to relax and enjoy ourselves
--> #207 had a water leak behind the toilet that smelled very badly. I called the front desk four times to get this issue resolved but nobody was able to help solve the problem. Maintenance interrupted us four times to soak up the leak with a towel and spray the washroom with air freshener but we could have done this ourselves.

Next day we were moved to another room that was very nice except it had two single mattresses instead of one king mattress. My wife and I were on a honeymoon....we had no use for two single mattresses so I called my travel agent (Rohit- Nirvana Travel) to resolve the matter. The on-duty manager asked a baggage handler to show me another room but problems with this room included: electrical wires exposed for bedside lamp and had a queen sized bed instead of king. After rejecting the second room we were moved to a one bed suit #118 and I received a call from the on duty manager(Victor?). #118 was a nice room except the floor was very dirty and my white socks were ruined, the water leaked from the shower to the toilet because the bottom of the shower needs maintenance. We had lots of insects inside our washroom as well but I suppose this is normal given that Goa is so hot. We expected our sheets to be changed and it did not appear that they were because my wife noticed the same sheets over and over again. Overall the rooms were less than satisfactory for cleanliness

2. Food
The western style breakfast food in the morning was of very poorly quality. The bacon was undercooked, and the process to order scrambled eggs was very disorganized- after placing an order I had to wait in a crowded area as other people collect food from the buffet. Why not move the eggs station inside the restaurant and have the restaurant employees deliver the eggs so that hungry people are not standing around waiting for the order? The fruit was good except not too many people enjoy passion fruit and therefore it does not get chosen. Instead of offering two trays of passion fruit and one pineapple or catalope, why not offer three types of fruit and remove one if it is not being eaten? Food waste is not good and most westerners do not appreciate this when it is obviously happening. I hand-delivered a comment card to the duty manager desk where your manager who is in charge of food was sitting. I explained my concerns to him and he said that the next morning he will have the cooks make us whatever we want...I was not interested in this because I knew the quality was poor.

It is also important to note, we spent thousands of rupees at the shacks and a restaurant in Majorda because at Royal Orchid Galaxy the quality of food and cost was extremely poor. I dont mind paying extra for food if the service is good and the food tastes well, but the Royal Orchid Galaxy had very poor selection and taste. Almost all the Europeans from England who we met at the hotel ate at the shacks, therefore that is where we spent most of our time AND money. I encourage you to visit Albert's shack at Majorda and order a basic meal from Cherry or Sid. The service is fast, they speak great english, prices are great but most important- the taste is fantastic.

Christmas dinner- this was interesting. The food was much better than I expected and the presentation was very nice. I don't see why alcohol has to be so expensive but that is a non issue to me. All was good EXCEPT non of the cooks understood how to cut the turkey. Turkey is the most important food during Christmas for Europeans and North Americans. When I approached the buffet the turkey at the Christmas buffet was not cut so I asked someone to do it, the top chef replied and asked a cook to cut it with a butter knife....this was almost insulting as I have always seen the turkey treated with a lot more respect than this. Also the cook cut the turkey like a chicken and not into slices like it is supposed to be presented. Presentation is very important and if your cooks don't know this then they need to use the internet more often and check how it should look on the buffet table before cooking it...otherwise don't offer it. Here is an example http://www.bukisa.com/articles/395930_how-to-carve-a-turkey-for-thanksgiving-holiday-dinner or simply type this into internet search box and watch a video: how to carve turkey for dinner

The Royal Orchid has one of the best hotel locations in Goa ...why do you let most of your guests spend their money at shacks??? you should be trying to get them to stay in your restaurants and offer better quality food. I suggest you visit a restaurant named Pentagon in Majorda to see an example of the level of service and food quality that you should be offering in Royal Orchid.

3. Drinks
This is something that I suggest you try for yourself. The bar beside the pool does not know how to make mix drinks. Mix drinks are very popular in North America and Europe so my wife and I tried it out. One day she ordered a Mojito which was made incorrectly with 7-up instead of soda water and corse granulated sugar instead fine sugar , and I ordered a Espresso Martini that was made incorrectly because the bartender made it with a full cup of coffee instead of espresso and served it HOT instead of chilled over ice. I sent back the Espresso Martini and the bartender chilled the drink and sent it back to me without correcting the quantity of liquid. The mix drinks section should be removed from the menu if your bartenders are not capable of offering them. Why take the risk of upsetting a customer? you should only offer bottled drinks to make it easier on the staff. Both times when I challenged the bartender, each of them explained they had followed the directions but clearly they were not telling the truth or they had incorrect information.

4. Communication with staff
Not enough people speak English at the Royal Orchid. This is a huge problem. I speak very little Hindi and my wife only speaks english so there was a communication barrier between most of your staff and us. Whenever we made a simple request, the staff member would have problems understanding our concerns and did not care to follow up or have someone else ask if we were okay. This was very rude and some staff even laughed at us because we could not communicate with them. I challenge you to see for yourself and ask a common staff member a basic request like, how do I check my phone messages on the hotel phone? This is a question that nobody could answer for me, even the front desk. My wife was very upset because she could not communicate with 90% of the staff members. Before visiting Goa we stayed at the Trident in Agra and I would strongly encourage you to visit the Trident hotel sometime to see how well the staff communicate with their guests.

6. Cost
For me and my wife, the total cost of the 7 night 8 day trip was more than 90,000 Rupee. This included flight to and from Delhi and hotel.
I did not want to spare any cost for my honeymoon so I trusted the Royal Orchid to provide me with 4 star service...I honestly can say that the service was not more than 2.0 star because only our basic needs were met. This is a shame because it's such a nice hotel in a superb location. It took me four months of working to save the money for our honeymoon and now I have to start saving again so that I can go on another honeymoon with my newly wed wife, except this time it will take me much longer to save the money. I am telling you this because I am not a wealthy person, I work hard and expect a reasonable level of service when I travel. The Royal Orchid has the ability to improve service and make much more money from international guests. Most international guests have no problem paying extra for good service.

I would appreciate a full refund or part of my money back because we truly had a very poor experience.

Summary:
I recommend you hire more quality staff and get rid of people who are not adding value to the hotel. For example,you don't need 20 staff at a buffet, instead have quality people who can multi task and do a number of jobs so that the guest can rely on one person rather than multiple. You can then afford to pay quality staff more money and get rid of those who are not interested in the welfare of your guests. Empower your staff to make decisions without having to consult a manager. I don't like to wait for someone to confirm with a manager if I can have my floor washed because it is dirty, or if I send my drink back I want a refund not a invoice to pay for a drink that I can not drink.

Positive note:
One staff member did a great job and tried his very best to help us. Iranna did everything he could to make us happy, he spoke great English and we could see that the other guests really enjoyed his service too. I strongly encourage you to increase his salary and promote him to a position where he can help more guests get exactly what they want.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank agraywall

We did take your comments very seriously. Today we really have a nice crisp resort. Thank you & do hope to see you....Shall offer a royal suite with its own plunge pool.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utorda
Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
Caravela Beach Resort
The LaLiT Golf & Spa Resort Goa
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
#5 of 10 in Cavelossim
Goa Marriott Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa Goa

Been to Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa? Share your experiences!