“Wonderful 3 days on the beach”

Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Utorda
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I took a much needed 3 day vacation at the Royal Orchid. Check in was smooth and the lobby area was beautiful, open, nicely done, along with the apple drinks we received while waiting. The grounds are well kept and look nice. Our room was nice, although not very spacious. There is a nice little balcony off the rooms with 2 comfortable chairs and a table. Unfortunately our room faced out the back, and not to the front where the pool is, so we only used it once. The short 2 minute walk to the beach was nice, especially since the property is connected to the beach. The restaurants are wonderful, but a little pricey. We enjoyed the Cosmos restaurant for breakfast every morning. Being able to sit outside on the 2nd floor overlooking the complex while eating was nice. One day it was a little too hot so we ate inside in the A/C and that was nice as well. Nice selection for the most part. The fruit bar was lacking variety while we were there. The omelette bar was always our favorite and getting bacon with our omelette was a nice treat. The beach is beautiful and clean, not like other beaches we've been to in Goa. There are the seafood shacks on the beach right outside. We found that if you walk down to the left (south) about 1/2 km on the beach, you will find two nice restaurants that offer candlelight dinning on the beach, for a much more affordable price. Great food too. But everybody else from the 2 other resorts nearby also know this so you have to go early to get a good table. We did this every night and loved it. The staff was helpful and attentive, for the most part. The staff watching the pool reprimanded me for "diving" because I sort of dove a little as I was walking down the stairs into the pool. My feet were already in the pool. Ridiculous! He needs to lighten up a little :) At one point I wanted to sit in the jacuzzi and asked a passing staff if he could turn it on. He said I would need to find a pool person, of which there was no one around, and walked off. I eventually got someone to turn it on, but that was good customer relations. Those were our only 2 negative interactions. The pool needs some repairs. At one end of the pool the little tiles are coming off. They have decided to "deal" with it by putting some white rocks in the area. I cut my toe on a tile because of it. My advice: you've got a nice pool, so maintain it properly and fix it. I will definitely return if the pool tiles are fixed because we had a lovely time. There are signs at the entrance to the hotel that forbids you bringing in any outside food or drink. Is that really necessary? Seems like a lame excuse to get you to overpay for their minibar items. Take those dumb signs down and your hotel will be much more attractive and welcoming, rather than restrictive. If I want a cold coke why can't I go to the store just outside the front gate and pay 30 rupees instead of paying 90 rupees for the same at the sunken pool bar? Those are a few of my complaints, but no deal breakers that would keep me from coming back.

Room Tip: get a pool facing room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoelWilliams
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you....That was a very detailed comment. Its very, very accurate & to the point. Yes we will fix the tiles in the pool in a few days from now. So we are looking forward to serve you even better. Thank you once again.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The property is very beautiful. Very closed to beautiful beach.The Hotel is ok., Rooms are not maintained properly. Please go with hotel staff to see the Room before you do the check -in with your luggage because i was requesting them for 1st floor pool facing room from the day i booked the hotel which is nearly 20-25 days but they offered me the dirtiest Club Room on first floor, and i thing that was the Smallest room in the entire hotel,and it was very very disappointed for me because i was having lots of hopes from the hotel staff but when i asked them they said it is all full, and this is the only room left, so then i raise my voice and finally they gave me good room please do no go for AP plan because in the buffet they kept one night ( Live Burji ) means Egg Burgi- Never expected such menu for buffet dinner in Five Star Hotel. Really not worth the money.

Room Tip: Please take the rooms on South side facing facing Swimming pool, also please do not go for CLUB Room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Shirish_13
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We certainly will take the required correctives. Awaiting to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Royal Orchid for 5 days while it played host to a big beautiful Indian-American 3 day wedding. The hotel really did a fantastic job of hosting the wedding, the grounds were set up beautifully and all the food at all the various receptions was great. The location in Goa and hotel setting and grounds were fantastic. It was right off a great wide relaxing beach and had a very tropical feel to it with palm trees everywhere. Also, all the service we received by the various staff members was fantastic. The pool was particularly good for kids to play in because it wasn't very deep. I think 4-5 feet max. The daily breakfast buffet included with the room was very good too, changed daily and included many local Goan specialties. Their Goan Portuguese chorizo style sausages were great.

I believe the hotel bills itself as a 5 star resort, which isn't really accurate by US / western standards. I would say it is really like a 4 star resort or maybe even 3.5, but it is very good for what it is. The setting is beautiful and puts your right into the Goa beach mood and the place is well maintained and clean. Their open air lobby was particularly relaxing. There were little issues like the shower's on/off handle simply fell off one day, but the staff fixed it right away. The bath towels weren't the best, but there was plenty of them. And the toiletries only included shampoo, not hair conditioner, etc. But all in all these were minor issues and not really problems at all and were easily overshadowed by all the good. The longer you stayed and adapted to the nice relaxing pace of Goa they quickly became less important. And like I said we encountered very good service from the staff that also helped to overcome these little issues.

If you do stay here there are a lot of local traditional Goan restaurants near by you must try. The "Russian" beach shack was great and the food and drinks were very good and cheap. Their home made pina coladas were particularly good. You must go to dinner at Zee Bop right down the beach (5 minute walk) to eat amazing seafood and watch the bright red sun disappear into the Indian Ocean. And it's definitely worth taking a cab to the classic old colonial Portuguese inspired Martin's Corner for an unforgettable meal. If so you must have the pork vindaloo which has strong tastes of cinnamon and cloves in addition to the typical fiery chili pepper flavor. However when going to Martin's Corner make sure to arrange a R/T taxi and have it wait for you during dinner.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelustNYC
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you so much for a detailed account of your stay. We appreciate the time & effort to put this across. We do hope to host you & your friends in the future. As for the bath amenities we stock all,available on request as the tag in your bathroom says.This way we avoid clutter in the bathroom. Thank you once again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The location is amazing, very close to the beach, with cool beach bars around.
The hotel itself is ok, although the rooms and bathrooms are not in the best shape, quite shabby, and the linen is old, with lots of old stains, which is something I had to accept.
Although, the beds were very good and comfortable, and this is something very important to me.
The staff was nice and polite, but quite unhelpful and sometimes even annoying. Every time we had to ask several times for a service, it was never done on the first request.
They would call us early morning with no good reason, with questions which could have waited for later, which is not something you want on vacation.
The spa was beautiful with good service, just next to the hotel.
After travelling in India, I would say that it was a good place and I would advise not to compare it with European standards.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ana-MarijaG
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

A big thank you for your valued feed back. We assure you quick corrective to set all into a much better situation. Thank you once again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at this property for 6 days 2-8 March . First impression though was not great, the room had mosquitoes, the plug point for the electric kettle was not working but gradually started liking the place, staff was cordial, food was great served with smile. My daughter enjoyed the pool very much. The lawns were beautiful. Orchids welcome you at entrance and lots of flowers all around. Nice little Gym and though not clean but thoughtfully made kids room adjoining Gym located in middle of the lawns. High point of the stay was the dinner at boat quay grill, live music , awesome food. Evening/morning walks in the Uttorda village were rejuvenating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank khadds
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thank you for taking time & the trouble to put your comments on board. We do assure you an even better experience in your next visit. We shall also take the corrective steps to score even higher.
Thanks a ton & hello to your little daughter.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Travelled in Jan 13, good resort. Good infrastructure. Average size of rooms. Room service is very slow. Good food and good conference facility also. Had conference at Season-1. Staff is co-operative. Overall memorable experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kpsheth
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Good to learn that you enjoyed the conference. Appreciate if you spend some time holidaying care free. Thank you for your comment. do look forward to hosting you again......

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was the first time that I have visited this hotel and in on one word I would consider this Hotel as "AMAZING". For our whole stay the service, ambiance & hospitality of the hotel was Excellent. I would consider this one of if not the best hotel that I had the pleasure of staying in. With a staff headed by Ms. Arti and seconded by Ms. Aparna. The service that they provided really would make you feel at home. Special mention will be McEnroy in their restaurant section who also made us feel very welcome when we come for our meals. Overall a very hospitable staff. Me and my wife would like to thank all of them for our pleasant stay and looking forward to comeback and enjoy their hospitality again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glenn R
VCSoares, General Manager at Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

You put us on a great start this morning.......Thank you for you comments. We are here to assure all your friends & references will experience the same or even better. Thank you so much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utorda
Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
Planet Hollywood Beach Resort
Grand Hyatt Goa
Grand Hyatt Goa
#1 of 3 in Bambolim

Been to Royal Orchid Beach Resort & Spa, Goa? Share your experiences!