“Best place ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nature's Valley
Wild Spirit Lodge and Backpackers
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was traveling in SA on my own, ranted a car & drove from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, stopping in places along the way using the "Coast to Coast" guide.

On the way back I flipped a coin & Wild Spirit Backpackers was chosen for the night, it was getting dark, in June, winter in SA...
I arrived to a most beautiful drive way, parked in front of one of the buildings, all beautiful & very well matched to the nature around.
As I exited the car a sweet young woman came to me & asked if I'm staying, I said yes, I was planing to stay one night but I think I'm in love & I bet I'll stay longer, which was right :-)

I took a dorm bed, in an upstairs big rustic room, I loved it!
bed was comfy & clean, warm blankets were on a shelf in for guests to take & the bathroom was nice & clean.

In full disclosure I have to say I think Wild Spirit is not for everyone.
It as a place for happy, optimistic, fun loving, nature & people loving, open minded kind of people.

Yes, at nights I was cold- as in any other backpackers on my way [Iv'e been to 6] & the communal kitchen can use new dishes & utensils
But when you have a problem with ANYTHING all you have to do is ask one of the wonderful staff workers & they will give you what you need.

When I was there the place had a lot of guests as any other place I've been to was almost empty, even in more central places like Hermanos.
We even had a family with two small kids & every one was very happy, we had a lot of fun together.

I've been to the staff kitchen & I know they they keep a clean kitchen, all fresh ingredients & they make yummy breakfasts & dinners for a very fair price, meet & vegetarian.
Bar prices are also great & parties are awesome!!

I fell in love, I still am in love, with the place, the people, the vibe, everything about Wild Spirit was magical.
I can't wait to come back & stay longer, I miss it deeply =]

In conclusion-
Wild Spirit is wild spirited, it is a bit rustic, kind of hippy, full of charm, magic & love.
If you're looking for an ordinary run of the mill backpackers - this is not the place for you.

But if you want a beautiful magical forest or a waterfall dream hike this is the place for you
& if it the ocean you seek or the peaceful beach lagoons it is just a drive away & the Wild Spirit staff can give you a lift :-)

Enjoy & keep your spirit wild!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Wild Spirit, it was my first holiday since 2008.
We went on the most amazing walks and met the most awesome people. I took over a thousand photos in our 4 day stay :)

We will be back for sure... Thanx Ola, Mikayla, Jenny and the rest of yous. X

Piet & Chanêlle

Room Tip: We had a double en-suite, very private and clean
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Myself and my girlfriend, Lidiya, stayed at Wild Spirit in February 2012. We met Jenny, the warm and welcoming owner, just as I arrived and enjoyed an amazing night of fabulous food and music and conversation. :)

Our short stay at Wild Spirit really was the highlight of our travels in South Africa; I felt so good, comfortable and at home from the moment I arrived... free to just be me. :) What Jenny has created is so magical... so amazing... and I felt privileged to experience something that started from a dream she had

Guys, thank you so much and I know I'll be back to visit again. And as I mentioned, when you make it to Ireland, you're very welcome! :)
Paddy :)

Room Tip: (The pool I marked is a semi-joke, we went swimming at the foot of a beautiful waterfall, 20 mins wa...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paddyohanlon
Reviewed August 11, 2012

When I got to Wild Spirit it was pouring down rain. I was showed to my room and reception and that's about it. Since it was raining quite hard and getting dark out I couldn't see much of the property and no one working there took time to show me where anything was. I was under the impression that we couldn't go in the kitchen because it says staff only. It wasn't til the 2nd day that one of the guests told me that there was a kitchen that guests use but it's stinky and nasty I was told by the guest. Almost everything was outside and with it being winter and raining it was extremely cold. This was the same with our rooms. I slept in layers because I was so cold.
The females that work at WS were a lot more helpful than the guys if you had a question. However I think the shuttle is a bit high to take guests to the animal sanctuaries.
On the plus side food was good and they offered to give me a ride into town for free b/c they were heading there anyway. I'm sure in the summer months this place would be much better, but it wouldn't hurt to work on a little better hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Deceitfull website, I needed to book a family into accomodation and found Wild Sprit LODGE and Backpackers on the internet. The website looked good so I made the booking. I should have been told that it is not recommended for families when I booked. You would think Wild Spirit cares about people, but clearly they just wanted to make a quick buck and took a booking for 2 adults and 2 children aged 7 & 9. I confirmed the booking twice, and yet no one knew of my clients when they arrived. They people at reception was not helpfull and the rooms where atrocious, smelling of stale, sweaty bedding that has not been changed for a long time. Beer bottles, about 400, lying outside in a pile... The guide accompanying the family phoned me and requested to be moved to alternative acommodation immediatly as he was embaressed to take people there.
"Wild Spirit" I think you have lost the Spirit and is now just WILD.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DownhillAdventures
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were attracted to the Wild Spirit Lodge by the great reviews we found on the web and the environmental focus.

We agree with the other reviewers on the surroundings, Wild Spirit is definitely off the beaten track. The area is pretty, the owners seem to be quite charming (a word on that below) and if you're backpacking, this might be the place to go.

We're not so sure about the environmental focus, and this is where we feel a more critical approach is appropriate. Yes, it makes sense to use water sparingly in a drought endangered environment, and "we try to recycle, our garbage with separate cans for plastics etc." sounds nice, but what about the large steel boiler kettles lying around in the yard? And what about all the cupboards full of bottles, broken dishes, etc. in the self catering kitchen that obviously have been sitting there for a while?

A word on the property and rooms. Much of the work done on the buildings seems makeshift, ours had some windows replaced with plywood. The bathroom was not very clean but it's dark, due to small windows and dim lighting so if you have night myopia, you won't have to worry about that.

OUR main problem was...

You know that it takes about 15 min. untill you body warms a bed? It took exactly that long after lying down until- no, not bedbugs. It took exactly that long to warm the scent of whomever had used the bed before us enough to become really strong. Strong and sour and sweaty. Like not having a shower for weeks. If it hadn't been 11:00pm we would have fled immediately.

We also happened to overhear the owners talking about new guests that had just arrived and whether the new guests should be offered a discount because of a defect in the washroom. Their decision was to wait and see if the guests complain.

We moved out as quickly as possible and found a great place to stay nearby.

That being said, we met a number of great fellow travelers and there was no complaint about our leaving earlier than planned.

If you are backpacking on a budget and want to get to know great people, this place might be alright. If you want a clean bed, look somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ilias1
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We absolutely loved our stay at Wild Spirit. We camped on the lawn, ate their delicious home-cooked meals, used the shared kitchen to cook our own, spent nights in front of the fireplace, and got advice on what to do in the area from Ola (the owner's daughter who works there). It is family-run and they are all extremely warm, helpful people who want to make sure you enjoy your stay. It's the kind of place you could easily get "stuck" at for weeks. We've been traveling for over 7 months and we both agree this was by far our favorite place we've stayed. You know when you walk in that you've found a gem and you'll be staying for a long time.

Room Tip: We camped on the lawn
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 12 in Storms River
Tsitsikamma Backpackers
Tsitsikamma Backpackers
#3 of 12 in Storms River

Been to Wild Spirit Lodge and Backpackers? Share your experiences!