Book In Advance

from $85.58
More Info
from $118.67
More Info
All reviews kuna complex ruins site split
Selected filters
Reviewed September 1, 2015

It is best not to visit these ruins on a blistering hot day. Having said that, a couple of things could possibly have saved it, even so.
When you first arrive to the site, you can walk through the Manastirine Necropolis and see the tomb of Father Frane Bulić, who was the archaeologist here. After that, you have to pay 30 Kuna to get inside the gates to see the other ruins located here. We asked if there was a map to guide us to the various sites, and were told that we would have to buy one for 3 Kuna. We should have bought one, but we didn't. So, we followed the road in and right away were in front of the Basilica urbana. It is quite vast, and very impressive, for sure. There is a big signboard with the layout pictured and a description, right by the ruins. There are some other signs dotted around the area as well.
Once you've wandered down around the area, you're left wondering where to go next. This is the big problem that I had. There are no signs pointing towards the Amphitheater, which is the big draw to these ruins, really. After seeing such great signage for each set of ruins, I can't believe that they can't invest in some signs that point and say "Amphitheater, 2km >", or whatever the actual distance is. I guess to me, in the hot sun, wandering aimlessly, it seemed like 2 kms. I did manage to find one sign, hidden in the trees of an olive grove that happened to be in the middle of everything.
So please, to whomever runs this attraction, include a complimentary map for your guests and get some more signs!
P.S. If you need money, you should consider selling cold bottles of water instead of maps!

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank Kathy504
Reviewed August 24, 2015 via mobile

I think that the archaeology park of Solin is really interesting: it's an amazing and suggestive place, and everything is well-explained!I study archaeology and I usually visit or dig roman ruins, in Solin I found a great place where I never ever seen some things, such as the burial cathedral. However I found it difficult to find. Free entry.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed June 27, 2015 via mobile

Although these ruins are not as extensive as other Roman sites in Europe, it was a lovely half-day trip outside of Split. There were lots of piles of stones to explore, including a basilica, bathhouse, bridge, gate, and amphitheater. The amphitheater is waaaaaay down a path, so be prepared to walk in the sun to reach it. However, it is interesting to explore and in better condition than some ruins in other countries. Just don't expect the type of experience you can have in Italy or southern France.

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed October 16, 2014

Having visited many Roman ruins, I found this to be rather disappointing. There isn't very much of it still standing and you need to climb up the hillside to get a real sense of the layout. If you're in the area it's worth a brief visit, but if you're pressed for time I wouldn't bother.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed September 10, 2014

A reasonable set of Roman ruins built in a hillside in Solin,a suburb of Split. Having done Knossos and the likes,its a bit lacking,but it gives an idea of life back then. Some parts are still intact and the ampitheatre is quite atmospheric. Its a nice site in the hills amongst the trees,and probably worth the couple of euros entry fee. You dont really need more than 2 hours,unless you are really into Roman history! Not for the hard of walking,or disabled. Theres a small cafe in the car park which the locals seem to use as their meeting point,so cheaper drinks there too!

Date of experience: August 2014