“Magnifico!! Ciao Carlo!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Pico B&B and Inns
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Magnifico!! Ciao Carlo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

This review is long overdue as we stayed at the Nena in May however the planning was six months in the making. As a present for our fathers 70th bday, me my wife along with my brother and his wife planned a surprise tip to Pico and Italy. My dad grew up in Pico and has a lot of family there so we wanted to not only take in all the sight but also have a place that was more or less home base. From the first email to the time we left Carlo and the Nena were more than what we expected. The Nena is something that is more or less stuck in time with all the modern amenities. You can still open the original windows to look out to the mountains, as well as go to the kitchen are where you can see the original wall that surrounded the city.
Every morning Carlo was there with a warm welcome as well as coffee and pastries with homemade Jams of fig and other fruits that were terrific. On one of the day, we decided to take a trip to Sperlonga. Carlo let us know that there was another couple in the hotel and looking to take in some sights as well. Not only did he give us directions, he jumped in one of the cars and directed us to to some sights, Sperlonga, and Fondi. Not only did we save time in having Carlo with us, we saw areas and learned of history that we wouldn't have otherwise.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend that anyone in the are to see family or passing through, spend a night at the Nena.

Mille Grazia Carlo

Michael Carnevale

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mvc321
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Friend,
thank you very much for what you wrote, your experience beautiful and positive, about me personally and about the quality of your stay, here at Nenà al Borgo Castello.
For me it is always a great pleasure to tell the Story and the Ancient Traditions of our Territory, especially when there are people like you and your family, you have shown great interest and curiosity about the country where your father and his ancestors were born and lived ....
I really hope you will come back and visit us with your children (wishes for the child who is coming!), so I can tell tell them the history of your origins ....

Greetings to all of you.

Carlo & the Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife, Nell, and I travelled to Italy in May as our first trip to Europe. My grandfather grew up in Pico and without any contacts in the area we decided to visit Pico to see it for ourselves on the way to the Amalfi Coast. We did not expect this visit to be the highlight of our trip but visiting this part of Italy was an amazing surprise!

Carlo has created a special place at the Nena. It's built on the medieval city's walls and sits within other homes along narrow streets just a short walk from the hilltop castle. If I remember correctly the home was built in the 16th century on top of the medieval city's walls and as you go from your room down to the kitchen you can see the intact beams and stone from these periods.

The Nena is a special place because of Carlo himself. He is very interested in sharing the history, culture and food of this area. Carlo showed us great hospitality and really wanted to introduce us to the town as we visited the town cafe's after dinner each night and met the locals. We ate an amazing food at the Nena prepared with ingredients from Carlo's land including olives, olive oils, jams and lemoncello prepared from his lemons!

That was just the start of Carlo's hospitality. When he learned that my grandfather, Nazzareno Conti, grew up in Pico he went above and beyond to help me locate my relatives in the area. In just one day I was able to meet a number of Conti's in Pico and through his help translating I met a cousin. From there we travelled with Carlo to meet my cousin's father and fill in our family tree through Carlo's translating (Sorry about that Carlo!). The following day I was able to visit my grandfather & great grandfather's homes and meet more of my family. After we left for Southern Italy, more family members arrived to meet me at the Nena and Carlo helped them get in touch with us to arrange a meeting in Rome. I can't thank Carlo enough for helping us connect with our family in Pico.

In three short days we gained a lifelong friend in Carlo and we're grateful for all his his help, hospitality and generosity. We're looking forward to returning to Italy in the future but more importantly Pico, The Nena & reconnecting with family & Carlo!

Carlo - if you find yourself visiting Colorado in the future - you have a place to stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Conti_303
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
dear Friend,
I'm really glad I could help you regain your relatives and the origins of your family here in Pico.
I will always be at your disposal for all the necessities that you will have and NENA 'AL BORGO CASTELLO will always be your home when you have the desire to return to see "your" country of origin.
I'm also really happy that I made you know the goodness and genuineness of our culinary tradition, which I am sure will live long in your mind and in your heart.
Thank you for being here with us and we look forward next year for another lovely holiday in Italy.

A warm greeting !

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

What a trip!

Even though we only booked 2 nights at Nena al Borgo, Carlo, Sonia and Valentina now seem like friends we have known for ever. The inn is a warm/comfortable and unique place. The town is beautiful/authentic Italy- not a souvenier shop anywhere to be found.

I took my 15 year old son to Nena for a two day cooking class and Carlo gave us so much more. He took us on a tour of this little traveled area of Italy and even took us to a family reunion at his sister's house.

The cooking classes were fantastic. Linguini with sausage and porcini mushrooms, shrimp and arugula, yogurt cake, gnochi, etc. My son is cooking a family dinner this coming weekend!

I was unsure whether to write a review as selfishly it would be nice to keep Nena, Pico and most of all Carlo a secret! But at the end of the day, TripAdvisor afficianados should know about this special place.

Thanks Carlo

Bravo and see you soon

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hello dear Friends !
Thanks for the beautiful and kind words you have written about us…..
It was for us a pleasure meeting you and having hosted here at NENA’.
I hope that your stay was pleasant and full of emotions, thanks to the places you visited and the beautiful evenings that you spent here with us.
Valentina, Sonia and I spent with you for a wonderful time and we really enjoyed cooking with you !!!
You are now "officially" members of our Family ... NENA' & FRIENDS ....
Come back soon and we will teach you other great recipes of our ancient culinary traditions.

Best wishes.

Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We already felt welcomed by Carlo to Nena al Borgo Castello purely on our email correspondence, even before our arrival. Once at Pico, Carlo made us feel completely comfortable and at home in this magical place. The inn itself has been renovated to reflect the love Carlo feels for his home. Radios from the 1930’s, artifacts from the post office which was part of “Nena”, precious family items all grace the rooms. The view outside our window looked out on Carlo’s own olive trees. We were not only treated to wonderful food, all prepared by Carlo from local and personal products, but were privileged to meet his mother, uncle and aunt at a local festival and dance to the music in the town. Each evening we went up to the small bar outside on top of the hill by the ruins of the castle. Here you can sit at wooden tables or a bench overlooking the twinkling lights of the neighboring villages. Pico is ideally located to take a variety of trips either to the coast or inland. Carlo has an extremely good knowledge of the area and can offer a wealth of information about possible day trips. It was wonderful to come "home" each evening to an elegant and delicious meal. Carlo's staff was also excellent and even baked a special birthday cake for my husband. We can’t wait to return! Thank you for everything.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
You are welcome in the Club "Nenà & Friends" !
I'm really happy that our Hospitality and pleasure to make you feel "at home" and welcomed into our "Family", were appreciated by you. We also spent some happy days together with you and remember with great pleasure our long and in-depth discussions on various topics, enjoying our Elixirs, such as limoncello, sherry or myrtle we love to prepare for our Friends and Guests ....
As I like to say, people who come here at Nenà al Borgo Castello arrive as Clients, but leave as Friends !!!
Thank you for being here with us and we look forward to a new and exciting vacation in Italy and here in Pico.

Dear Greetings.

Raynham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We recently visited Pico on a wonderful family vacation and truly enjoyed our stay at Nena al Borgo Castello! The inn is so rich in history, you almost feel transported back in time. Our room was amazing with the huge windows and balcony. Walking around Pico almost makes you feel like you are on a movie set it is so iconic. We cannot thank the owner Carlo enough for all his hospitality. He went out of his way to show us around the area, taking us to places we never would have seen otherwise. We will definitely be back, and encourage other members of the family to stay at Nena on their visits!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle C
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Frinds,
I'm very happy you enjoyed your stay here at Nena al Borgo Castello.
Accompany you to discover new places (such as the beautiful Gaeta and Sperlonga, or the old historic center of Fondi), and tell you about the rich history and ancient traditions of these places, it was for me a real pleasure.
I hope you will come back again with other friends or your family members.
We will always be here waiting and ready to introduce you to other wonders of our Territory.

Best wishes.

vashon island, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

After flying overnight to Rome, we couldn't have found a more welcoming place to stay for the night than Nena. Greeted by Carlo at the door, we immediately felt at home and after getting a tour of the hotel, settled into our spacious, beautifully decorated room. Carlo is committed to sourcing his foods and wine locally and makes his own preserves, cheeses, olive oil and pastries, and it was all delicious! He is generous with his foods and with his time, sitting and chatting with us over dinner. We learned about the area and his love of his home was evident. We are most definitely returning to Nena and will spend more time there next time. As Carlo says, we arrived as clients and left as friends.

Room Tip: bishop's room was particularly nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MargieJim
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello, my new Friends !
Thanks for the appreciation you show to me.
We at Nena' love to welcome and take care of pleasing people like you, who are experienced travelers who know and appreciate the quality of services and the quality of the food and wine that tasted.
We do this with a lot of love and passion, and you will have felt from the first moment you enter our resort.
I hope that the next trip you will make in Italy you can stay for a few days here at NENA', so you can enjoy the surroundings and the many Ancients Villages of which our Land is rich.
I send you a warm greeting and I hope to see you very soon.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We meant to write this review awhile back, but have been caught up with moving and everything, so this review is long overdue.

Background to our stay at Nena: Marisa and I are from the U.S. and we were planning a trip to Madrid, Spain for a wedding, but then thought we would make an extended trip to Italy to see her distant relatives in Arce, Italy.  We decided that we would fly into Rome after Madrid and then make our way down to Arce and then ultimately Sorrento.  We tried looking for places to stay in Arce, but there weren't any.  I then read up about Pico and the Nena.

We thought Pico would be a cool experience, but didn't think it would be one of the highlights from the trip...but it was.  Aside from seeing Marisa's distant relatives in Arce and renting a scooter to explore the Almafi coast, Pico was our favorite place and a treat.  We wish we had another night or two instead of our 3 night stay.

What to expect: You can expect to see a town living life the way it used to be and should be...cobble stone streets and houses on top of mountain, town celebrations and great meals where everything is fresh!  And the Nena is such a beautiful hotel and Carlo is a great host.  It's great to meet people where you can share stories about our different lives.  And the food that he and his helpers whip up are some of the best we had in Italy.  He makes his own olive oil and sherry!

To get there, we rented a car from Rome and drove all the way down thanks to the help of GPS.  Once you get into Pico, getting to Nena is a little tricky as parts of the road are barely enough to fit one car and some are buildings are being remodeled resulting in a road being closed.  But it was fun to get there.

Highlights of our trip: 1) Food...absolutely loved the home cooking from Carlo.  It was really that good.  2) Town ambience with the castle.  The streets, houses and buildings were all stone with lots of character and history.  What was really awesome was our last night, there was a town concert at the castle.  3) Trip to Sperlonga...this is a coastal town about half hour away and well worth the drive.  The town is truly unique with an Arabian feel...all white streets, alleys and houses...and you feel like you're in a maze walking in the town.  4) Trip to Gaeta...this is a neat town on the coast as well.  There you will see the Montagna Spaccata, a spectacular split overlooking a grotto.

Staying at Nena and Pico was really a surprise for us.  Aside from seeing distant relatives in Arce, we thought Rome or Sorrento would be the highlight of our trip...we were wrong.  Staying at Nena in Pico had them beat.  In fact, Rome was our least favorite, but still good.  If you're looking for a place that's off the beaten path...something different, unique, fresh, calm peaceful, and close to the coast, Rome and Sorrento, then we highly recommend Pico and staying at Nena.  Carlo is really a wonderful host.  We wish we had more time Carlo!  We hope to come back and see you!

- Marisa and Steve

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Is a great satisfaction for us to NENA' AL BORGO CASTELLO read that your stay here at Pico was more exciting than staying in Rome or Sorrento !
I am really happy that you've discovered "accidentally" this charming medieval town, as one of the gems of our incredibly beautiful and charming Italy !
You'll have to come back again to visit us to live other unforgettable emotions.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, maybe next year.

A warm welcome !

Carlo & the Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pico
Hotel Borgo Antico
I Giardini di Margius
Agriturismo la Tartaruga
Agriturismo la Tartaruga
#4 of 4 in Pastena

Been to Nena al Borgo Castello? Share your experiences!