“A MAGIC PLACE !!!!!”

and 1 more site!
Nena al Borgo Castello
Ranked #1 of 1 Pico B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Incredible of discovery! My girlfriend two friends and I have discovered Nena Al Borgo Castello has Pico . The most beautiful discovery for us in italy,a return in time ...
We have been received by M Carlo as if we were family . The rooms are large and very comfortable and the view is more than beautiful.
Ps Thank You Carlo for this welcome and for taking the time to feast my 50 th anniversary with us
See you soon
Sylvain
Montréal Canada

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

We are very happy to have celebrated with you the 50th birthday, which we hope will remain for a long time in your memory and in your heart!
Come back and see us again, we will be waiting with open arms!

A warm greeting !

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just returned from Italy and stayed in Pico at Nena. The trip was a return to the birthplace of my significant other's grandfather and to see the place where he was baptized and raised before leaving for America at age 14 in 1910. Pico is very different than going to tourist cities and staying in the same genre of hotels and seeing the standard sites from Frommer's Guide and Rick Steves. Going to Pico and staying at Nena al Borgo Castello is seeing the true Italy as it is today and as it was 1000 years ago and 100 years ago. There are no tourist traps in Pico and no plaster Towers of Pisa or the Vatican for sale. There is the ancient city, the castle, the old city and the amazing Nena and its simply remarkable owner and host - Carlo.

Carlo is the best aspect of the hotel. He and his staff do whatever they can to make things as comfortable as possible for their guests. The rooms and apartments are like staying in an Italian country home as opposed to a hotel or B&B. We feasted on a home made Italian country dinner prepared by Carlo and his chef (Valentina) that is too good for words to adequately describe. The ingredients are local and organic and most of the items (cheese, sausage and olive oil) are made by Carlo himself. Breakfast is also a delightful experience.

Carlo invited us to take a walk with him after dinner to have him explain the history of the town along with the history of its origin from ancient times, to WW II, to the present. He then had the guests come back to his own home a short walk from the hotel and the castle to share the views from his rooftop terrace and some wine.

We were also directed to Sperlonga, an Italian beach resort about 45 minutes away by car via an awesome drive through the mountains to the sea. Pico is a good launching point to hit the more well known spots in Europe or to use as a layover on the way north or south.

I could go on and on, but at this point I think the reader should get the point. Nena is a special place, in a special city, owned and operated by even a more special man. Carlo is a national treasure for Italy and Pico's greatest ambassador. I have been to Italy about a dozen times and confidently will put this on my list of places that cannot be missed and we will return on our next trip.

Room Tip: Rent one of the apartments (we stayed in Il Segretto and if unsure just call the hotel and speak to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Friends,
It was for us a pleasure meeting you and having hosted here at NENA’.
I hope that your stay was pleasant and full of emotion, thanks to the places you visited and the beautiful time that you spent here with us.
I read your review about the impressions of your stay at NENA’: I am honored of the beautiful words you wrote about us and the enthusiasm you have shown during your stay,
even if very short.
I sincerely hope to see you soon for another , longer , stay at NENA’ AL BORGO CASTELLO.

Ciao !!!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I had the priviledge of staying at"Nena" back in April unfortunetly it was just for one evening, Carlo was amazing his Knowledge of the region, the magnificent cuisine he was a fantastic host, my wife and I still talk about Carlo, and the true experience of Italy, Pico had to offer, the rooms were very clean, and comfortable with beautiful views, My wife and I are looking forward when we can go back for a longer stay and we can share our experience of "Nena al Borgo Castello" with our friends, "Nena is a 5 star B&B."

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TonyR511
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Good Morning,
thank you a lot of words you wrote about us !
I sincerely hope they will return soon to visit us but, as you've written, for a longer stay, so I can introduce you to the wonders of which our Territory is rich.
A warm greeting

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My daughter and I recently visited this enchanting medieval town set in the Arunci mountains just south of Rome. We had never heard of the town but as we drove along the winding roads to this beautiful town set up on a hill we were so pleasantly surprised on what a hidden jewel this place was.Our host Carlos was fantastic and so accommodating in showing us the surrounding area. The hotel itself is small and quaint and beautifully refurbished maintaining the character of the times. The food was fantastic!! Fresh wild asparagus, fresh lamb, fresh cheeses, and pasta with seafood... And don't forget the pastries !!! I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel and day trips are easy to do from this location.it is only 40 minutes from the coast. I hope to go back one day and enjoy more of the wonderful countryside of the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view !! You have to be able to climb stairs ....
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan S
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

I am very happy that your vacation here were full of pleasant surprises and satisfactions,
Although it was a short stay, I hope it was full of emotions !
I hope you come back again and enjoy more of the wonderful countryside of the area.

Thanks again and see you soon !

Reviewed June 19, 2012

If you do end up in this tiny medieval town, Nena is a MUST stay. The B&B is an historic home the owner has upgraded with antiques that have you feeling like you've been transported back in history. The rooms and clean, comfortable and cozy with the best views of the hills of picturesque Pico. Our host Carlo was fantastic - he speaks English and will help you in anyway you need. Fresh baked goods for breakfast and yummy espresso in the morning, drives around the city, phone calls made for you - he's brilliant. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FiandBrad
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Hello !
many thanks !
even if your stay was short, I'm very pleased that you have tasted the charm of our Village and our Ancient House. We look forward to seeing you soon for a longer stay here at NENA ' AL BORGO CASTELLO.
Thank you and ARRIVEDERCI !

CARLO & Staff

Reviewed June 7, 2012

You’ve probably never heard of Pico, the small town south west of Rome surrounded by the beautiful Arunchi mountains. I had never heard of it. I looked in every Italy travel guide, still couldn’t find it. So needless to say, I was a bit skeptical when my mom booked our stay there (online) with no understanding of where or what this place was! Upon arrival, we both realized we had absolutely no reason to be skeptical, because Pico was one of the most beautiful, medieval towns in Italy I had ever seen!
We were fortunate enough to have stayed for a couple days at Nena al Borgo Castello, a wonderful B&B in the heart of the small town. The facilities were very clean, the beds comfortable, and most importantly the food was outstanding! The B&B was newly renovated but still kept its old world charm. From the minute we arrived, we were greeted with warmth from Carlo and his staff- we felt like family! They were extremely accommodating, friendly, and eager to share the great history of their town.
We were also very lucky to have one-on-one cooking sessions in the evenings with the very talented chef, Valentina. We made everything from scratch including gnocchi, pasta, pizza, and crostatas. We were able to enjoy the fruitful produce that the region supplies such as wild asparagus and cherries. The cooking classes were so much fun, and I really enjoyed the hands-on experience. We were given all of the recipes to take home, which I will definitely try!
Pico is situated approx. 40km from the coast, so we took wonderful day trips to the towns of Gaeta, Sperlonga, and Fondi. The day trips are definitely a good idea, and Carlo the owner of the inn can supply you with the best options in the area depending on what you’re looking for (beaches, hikes, biking etc.)
I absolutely fell in love with Pico, and with everyone at Nena. Had we known how wonderful our experience was going to be, we would have definitely stayed longer! Hope to be back soon, definitely a great place to recommend!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TOdara
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thanks a lot !
Your beautiful words are "energy" and "vitality" for us at NENA '.
I'm really happy that your stay with us gave you emotions that I hope will remain in your heart for a long time ...
Best wishes.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

We chose Nena al Borgo Castello based on Trip Advisor reviews, and we were not disappointed.
Set in a picturesque Medieval walled city, the restored country house exudes old world charm. The rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated with antiques. Our third floor room had a beautiful view of the Arunci Mtns on one side and overlooked the narrow, cobblestone walkway on the other. Carlo is a wonderful host, friendly, with a wealth of local stories to share.
Our last night, we asked Carlo to prepare dinner for us and 2 of my husband’s relatives who lived nearby. We left the menu up to Carlo…..and he exceeded our expectations…fresh flowers from his sister’s garden, fresh bread baked by his mother, pasta with wild asparagus and shrimp, on and on it went, great wine and ending with his homemade Lemoncello. In addition, he helped out as an interpreter; as we spoke little Italian and the cousins little English!
Nena was just what we were looking for……….and hopefully we will return someday!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Linda J
spadacarlo, Proprietario at Nena al Borgo Castello, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Good Morning,
many thanks for your appreciation and excellent review you wrote.
According to our style, we love to make our guests feel "at home" and your words seem to confirm this impression, and that therefore our hospitality has been appreciated by you.
Thanks again and hope to see you soon here at NENA '.
Best wishes.
Carlo & the Staff

Been to Nena al Borgo Castello? Share your experiences!