“Good but could be better”
Review of Bandos Maldives

Bandos Maldives
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bandos
Derby
“Good but could be better”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We've travelled to the Maldives a few times and as we were taking our 2 young children for the first time decided to give Bandos a try in view of its location close to Male. Transfer from the airport was relatively painless with a 30 minute speedboat ride. The island itself is relatively large with a cosmopolitan feel. We stayed on B&B and were glad as it offered greater flexibility in choices of restaurant. The galley restaurant is really like a canteen with buffet offerings. The discount of eating at other restaurants if you are on HB or all inclusive is really meagre. We mainly ate at Seabreeze or the new Thai restaurant both of which are reasonable.
Prices here are very expensive. Unlike other resorts I have been to you get the feeling that you are being fleeced for anything and everything. We bought our own snorkelling equipment/life jackets as hiring them from the hotel would have been expensive. The main redeeming feature for this resort is the excellent house reef. There are paths cleared from near the Sundowners bar making it easier to swim to the deeper waters without the fear of cutting yourself on shallow areas of coral.
We asked for a later check out on our day of departure as our flight was not until the evening. Unfortunately, we were originally told this might be possible by speaking to the duty manager but asked to come back several times. On the day prior to our departure we were categorically told we would have to vacate our room by 12pm. Having seen visitors in our neighbouring room clear out by 12pm and the room not used for several days it really left us feeling that this resort has little interest in the finer details.
We will not be returning as there really are better resorts out there in the Maldives in my opinion with superior customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Derby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in Bandos, Maldives. The resort rooms were spacious, clean and the beach was awesome. The resort has speed boat services from the Male airport, just inform them ahead so that they will wait for your arrival. The travel desk was professional and can arrange diving, snorkelling and Male day tours at a good price. We had all our meals in the resorts restaurant, which offers great food, many options and any special requests was handled happily. Overall, with their great hospitality, this resort has everything to keep you happy on your Maldives holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Venkz
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed last July and did not want to leave as the charm and service was so good. The last few night I moved to room 337 and loved the private hot tub. The flowers, Frangipani, the most admired and celebrated flower in the Maldives were in bloom everywhere. The morning walks with the flowers everywhere was very relaxing. Snorkeling by the Sand Bar was excellent! You can snorkel anywhere but do snorkel out past the Sand Bar. I liked the daily newsletter and on my birthday they surprised me with a delicious cake.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but 337 I believe is the number is AMAZING
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

On the whole this is not a bad Maldives Island, but its a long way from being the best. Staff are friendly, beach is clean, island is as you would expect, beautiful with all amenities....however... the food is very average (mostly overcooked) and they charge top 5* resort prices for it not to mention the alcohol (a bottle of Wolfblass is $50 and a pint of beer is $12). The breakfast was one of the worst buffets I have ever eaten, however the egg station did cook some fantastic omelettes. Its a busy resort so very little seclusion and privacy and the island feels cramped as a consequence. You pay less to actually stay here than some of the other resorts but Bandos makes it back by charging you the same as you would been charged on a more exclusive Island for the extras. The Kids club was quite good, with a good program of activities for younger children and polite staff in a clean well maintained facility. But the baby sitting charges make it very expensive to go out in the evening and knowing how much they pay the staff the fees are extortionate. ($30 an hour for two sleeping children....!!) If they had charged $10 an hour we would have eaten out more and spent more. If you do have children I suggest you take plenty of snacks for them especially cartons of juice, and even though kids meals were expensive, it was plentiful and generally better than anything else served. The snorkeling on the house reef was good, plenty of sharks and fish and the odd turtle especially up near the Sundowners bar (best place to eat and drink on the Island) but mind the tide opposite the Deluxe rooms (which coincidentally had some fantastic fan coral and gets much less snorkel traffic) Having stayed in other resorts in the Maldives I cant rate this higher than average in comparison, certainly as far as value for money is concerned! You should expect to pay high prices whichever Island you go to their supply chain and logistics must be costly and difficult but the quality here just didnt warrant it. The Delux rooms (or Super Delux as they called them) were large enough for 2 adults and 2 children (just) but they were tired and in need of updating...There was certainly no wow factor when you walked in, they were however clean and kept clean all week but attentive staff and we had no trouble with insects.

Room Tip: I would suggest the Jacuzzi beach front villas are the nicest on the island in good locations.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank IanJ41
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this island hotel/resort a few weeks ago and basically I had a phenomenal experience. To my surprise, my room was actually a cottage located about 25 walking steps to the beach. But, since this is a small island, all the cottages are pretty much spitting distance from their own beach. From beginning to end the experience was great. First, the island is located relatively close to the main island/airport. This was a concern for me, since I was traveling alone and it was hard to get replies from other resorts on transportation schemes. Bandos replied that they had 24 hour water taxi. My flight landed in the evening and there were three other people on my plane who stayed at the same hotel. Bandos was there to greet us! About thirty to forty minutes later we are pulling into a beautifully lit tropical paradise under a full moon. Luggage is couriered to your room for you and there when you actually arrive in your room (you are shuttled by golf cart). My room at sun chairs on the deck just for me, and a small porch with a towel rack. It was very nice. The "room" was huge with very, very tall ceilings. I would approximate the size to the old style Ritz Carlton hotels where you would have these massive hotel "room/suites". There was a sitting area, extremely roomy bedroom area with color t.v., mini bar, upscale closet, safe, roomy shower (there was no tub, but I don't use a tub anyway). There is a separate towel service for beach towels as opposed to hotel room towels. If you ever wondered what you could do on a tropical island, and wondered if you could get bored. Well, you can't. First of all, even for the novice, you never get tired of snorkeling right off your very own beach. I really respected this group for creating channels from the beach to the reef and you are prohibited for, say, crossing over or damaging the coral. There are big orange buoys that tell you where to go, thus protecting the reef. The sea life is no less than remarkable, stunning, etc. I could go on and on. At night time, there are three restaurants– I ate outside every night and watched the fish in the ocean water. One night I went night fishing and it was so fun because we caught a lot of fish. Two hours later, we met at a special location and the chef was there cooking the fish we had just caught. There is island hoping, a full scuba center (I don't scuba, but in retrospect I wish I had become certified there). In closing, the other thing I would say is that nothing is outrageously expensive. I believe I was paying about $4.50 for a beer...cold...in a restaurant...being served in the middle of the Indian Ocean...on a tropical island...You pay more than that in any average restaurant in a major U.S. city. On top of that, the staff was all very cordial and nice. I lot of the people I ran into, said that they had been to this resort multiple times before. If you go to this place, you will understand why. I hope this review was helpful. It is genuine and legitimate.

Room Tip: My room was a townhome/bungalow style. I think most of the rooms are spitting distance from the oce...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank BusterH647
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed on bandos as part of a large party. My husband and I had stayed at Bandos 3 years ago and we had recommended it to friends as we were all celebrating our 50th birthday year, 3 of which had travelled from Australia. We were all made very welcome and ALL the staff were fantastic especially Ismail (Food and Bevrage Manager who arranged a Masterclass in curries for our party) Naeem(Restaurant) and our Housekeeper for rooms 136 & 140 whos name escapes me! The food was of a high standard as was our accomodation (Jacuzzi villas). Yes there was the odd ant but what do people expect on a small island? It certainly is not a resort as described by a previous trip advisor report. Our daughters both used the spa and rated it highly.
We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you

Room Tip: We have stayed in both the deluxe and Jacuzzi villas. Both are excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JayneC760
BandosResort, Manager at Bandos Maldives, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear JayneC760,

Thank you for choosing Bandos and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear you were pleased with our resort and our team members.

We look forward to Welcoming you back to Bandos Island Resort & Spa.

Hassan Rasheed
Senior Operations Director
Bandos Island Resort & Spa
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This resort is a nightmare ! I was there with my family for just one night and I have got to say that was the worst thing about my trip to Maldives, in such a short notice I shifted to Lux Maldives which was paradise compared to this one.

Yes it reasonable but it is extremely unhygienic with ants crawling in and out of your room, people putting out wet clothes to dry on the balcony, the best thing about this place is the staff and one of the worst thing about this place is the Spa.We got a complimentary 10 minutes head, neck and shoulder massage, the person who has massaging me was literally pinching my muscles and trying to knock me out ! And believe me I am not exaggerating, the resort is extremely dirty and pretty huge, with no buggy's around, since we were 4 people we asked for one big family room, which wasn't the case so they gave us room number 289 which had no view of the beach and is extremely claustrophobic, then at 10:30 pm we were given the second room, room number 260 which is quite a huge room, we had to call the front desk atleast 5 times for somebody to come and pick our luggage and drop us off in front of the room. Two local guys came picked up our luggage and there was no space for me and my father, I was literally hanging out of the buggy, so the journey started and the guy said 'I will take a short cut, because I am supposed to leave by 10:30' and then his headlights went out ! There were no lights where he was driving, it is scary and unprofessional and I hate the resort.

If anyone would like to waste their money on this so called paradise where they attract people with their so called 'reasonable price' I would just ask them to burn away their money that's all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Peeya43
BandosResort, Manager at Bandos Maldives, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Peeya43,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and for not meeting your expectations.

Providing our guests the best possible service is our mission. You comments were shared with our management team for further follow up and immediate action, with their respective areas.

We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and are continuously trying to improve our guest experience.

Once again we are deeply sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay.

Hassan Rasheed
Senior Operations Director
Bandos Island Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandos
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island
Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives

Been to Bandos Maldives? Share your experiences!