“Good trekking but not tedious”

Similajau National Park
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Bintulu
Mesquite, Nevada
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“Good trekking but not tedious”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were briefed and given a map on the park by a staff at the office. The charges were Rm10 per adult. There were several routes to hike or trek and one could choose depending on one's ability. Trekking through this natural jungle is not harsh cos the up and down hills are of different steep grades but interesting with a variety of very old trees and foliage. The crossings on streams and the mangrove could be improved than just spanned wooden plank bridge or walkways which are already in deterioration. The nicest feeling was popping out of the path onto a white sandy beach after a sweaty hike! Visible flat igneous rock formation on some parts of the beach are an interesting sight.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank NyonyaLady

• Korean first
Tawau, Malaysia
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“nothing to shout about”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and I arrived at about 4pm by car. The first impression was the place looked deserted and not well managed. The staff whom we met at the office looked happy that he could give me some feedback to my questions about that place.

I was there to explore the possibilities for landscape and macro photography. Besides the setting sun, there's not much for landscape shoots. The jungle trail is on the other side of the river that is connected by a hanging bridge. The hanging bridge is solid as we walked and jumped on it. The trail is well marked but we did not complete the trail since we arrived late, so I could not comment much about that part of the park.

The park has a number of chalets for rent. There is a dormitory too. A lot of the benches around the park area are in need for replacement among other things. The beach is almost run over by debris of stones and drift wood. I hope this is not "letting nature take it's course." The open sea at the beach front is murky and dirty which I believe is caused by the heavy silt brought down by the muddy river. To be fair, I have seen photographs of clear water of the same river. While we there the river is muddy in colour and swimming is out of the question even if the water is clear since there is a warning sign of crocodiles.

We came across a number of Caucasians staying there during our short visit. And obviously they like what they saw. But for my wife and I, we would not go there with those run down facilities much less having to pay RM10/= for the entrance fee.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Steven_Teo
Bangkok, Thailand
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“A Great Jungle Hike”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The trek through the mangrove jungle foliage begins at the warning sign for crocodiles and, following the red dots, continues up and down hills of various steep grades along root-encrusted paths, across streams spanned by nothing more than a wooden plank or two.

Destination: the appropriately named View Point. The view from the wooden pavilion: the expanse of the South China Sea, and the rocky boisterous shore below.

more info and photos at travelwithjan.com

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jan_Polatschek
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“a national park to be adventure”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

the national park is far away from any city. from the signboard of Similajau national park, i have to drive another 9km. the entry is rm10. the park is nothing except natural. if you are brave enough, take a walk along the cirular trail and education trail. you will see a lot of fauna like spiders, red crabs,birds, insects and crocodiles.it is located beside the likau river which connect to the chinese sea pacific ocean.
i walk alone in the circular trail, felt horric cause the bridge is old or decay by the salty-humit air. i heard a lot of sounds of natural (sound of water, insects, birds and others animal) and saw a lot of trees with thorn and toxic mushrooms. l felt a bit scared when i saw a lot of small crocodiles below my foots or under the old-decayed brigde and low pressure and cool-humit air made me felt i really walking inside the natural jungle.

the sandy beach is beautiful but the water is not christal clean cause those water flow from the likau river into the ocean.i like the natural but try to go there with partner so that you wont feel scared while enjoy the natural.

Visited December 2012