“A little bit of English hospitality in deepest France”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montreal
Maison Creme Anglaise
Ranked #1 of 2 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Better late than never! We stayed in this b&b in June 2011 for a 1 night stopover on our way south. We had a very comfortable room in the main house and found it very relaxing after a long drive. The only reason I've not given this an excellent rating is because the room isn't en-suite and you have to share the bathroom with at least 1 other room. It also didn't have a proper shower, just a lovely old rolltop bath with shower attachment. For us this didn't cause any real problems as the other people in the room across the hall got up and left much earlier than us. The breakfast was very good with home made jams etc. There was plenty!

The setting is beautiful, such a quiet village. We had a nice drink down in bar in the square with the locals! Before going for a drive to find a restaurant in the next village. The gardens and pool out back were an added bonus with fabulous views. It was a bit too cool to go in for a dip but was very inviting! Graham also showed us around the large gite which was absolutely stunning. Beautiful master bedroom, lovely living room with unusual fireplace and looked really well equipped.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caz789

Reviewed August 8, 2011

We rented this gite because it was recommended by a professional photographer who stays at the Creme Anglais every year. Graham and his wife deserve a gold medal for what they have done to their gites. We found Graham (his wife was away for the week we were there) to be accomodating and very friendly. We stayed at the Petit Creme. It was very adequate and quaint. We loved the big tub and the well appointed rooms. We saw not dirt anywhere and the bathroom was very clean.

This was our first gite on a month long trip in France. Graham made us feel at home. We could not have asked for a better place to stay. The town was a small medieval village and the gites blended in with that atmosphere. Custer, the famous dog, welcomed us each time we visited with Graham. Graham and his wife work very hard to bring all the charms of France to their gite guests.

The area is beautiful and centrally located to explore most of the region. Grocery stores and other services are close by. You can also explore many of the areas Chateaus and wine villages. We loved the region but especially appreciate Graham for all he helped us with. We would definitely stay here again. Our friends from Belgium came to stay with us and they loved the gite and the area. They have visited France many times but had no idea there were gites so nice in this area. They will visit there again too.

Merci Beaucoup Graham!

Ah Bientot

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Ja K
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Not sure how anything at Maison Creme Anglaise could possibly have upset the lady from Midlands so much .... have just finished one of the most wonderful weeks of our 16 week trip (and our lives). Graham and Christine Battye are the most extraordinarily welcoming and accommodating hosts - nothing was ever too much trouble. The location is sublime, accommodation perfect..... (we were also in Grand Creme). Will miss Custard (the dog) and Rhubarb (the cat)........and Creme Anglaise. Left there 10 hours ago and already scheming to get back ...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyne53
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This B&B has the most wonderful atmosphere, enormously welcoming and incredibly relaxing. The village of Montreal is breathtakingly beautiful, incredibly peaceful and within an area that is so worthwhile exploring. The food was delicious and I could have sat around the dinner table for hours, not just to lick my plate and sup the local wine but to enjoy the hospitality. All this combined with really comfortable bedrooms meant I slept like a baby and felt hugely relaxed and rested. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank rachel_birthistle
Reviewed August 26, 2010

This was our third visit here. Our last was three years ago, at Easter, so it was great to see this wonderful place in the summer. It is situated in a beautiful mediaeval village with a stunning photo-opportunity round every corner and Maison Creme Anglaise is the same. Graham and Christine are warm, friendly, kind and fun.
I swam in the warm outdoor pool in the mornings with swallows swooping down beside me and a view of the glorious Burgundy countryside. The atmosphere is relaxed and calm and the accommodation clean, comfortable and civilised in the best possible sense of the word.
We were touring round France, staying in bed and breakfasts and this was by far my favourite. I should stop singing its praises now as I know they're very busy and I want to stay there again, as soon as possible - though I find myself showing the website to all my friends. Wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank DaphneFranks
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and our three young children overnighted at Maison Creme Anglaise on our way from Zurich to Jersey. Our visit was perfect - the kids were made to feel very welcome, our hosts were delightful and the accommodation charming and beautifully maintained. In fact, we were so delighted, we booked another night stop over on the way home.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Klibbe
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I together with Brother's Family found our stay at Maison Crème Anglaise exactly what we had hoped for and were over the moon when we were shown around by the friendly owners - Mr and Mrs Battye. We wanted a family holiday to make visits to the wine regions and the surrounding areas and Grand Crème had the accommodation we needed. I have been meaning to put a review on Trip Advisor for a while - as I have wanted to do for the B&B we used near Dover and Calais too - but am just getting around to it now.

We are totally dismayed by what we have read in the review before this one. We found - firstly - that to be welcomed by the owners after a long journey was delightful and made arriving at Maison Crème Anglaise a delight - but also - as we were shown around the accommodation we found everything to be lovely and fresh and clean and flowers to welcome us which was so lovely.

We don’t really recognise the property which is being described in the last review as Grand Creme at Maison Crème Anglaise and in all the time we chatted with the owners – when they let us know anything we needed to know - can not believe that they were anything like the description of the last reviewer. It is so shocking that we feel we must let prospective renters of properties at Maison Crème Anglaise know what a delightful and truly relaxing experience we all had there. Mr and Mrs Battye could not have done more for us to make our stay a very pleasant holiday.

The long review seems extremely vitriolic and I have to wonder about it really. When we stayed the kitchen was completely spotless, the lous were totally clean and fresh, the shower was clean both in the glass doors and the shower head – I would notice this type of thing and I saw nothing but a spotless Gite. We were comfortable and happy at all times in the house. We enjoyed the facilities and will definitely recommend the property to our friends and family.

The whole experience of Maison Crème Anglaise is very memorable because you leave with such lovely memories of a relaxed time in a very beautiful area of Burgundy in a village with so much character. We all went out sight seeing and were always pleased to return to the comfort and modern accommodation of Grand Crème with the swimming pool and beautiful surroundings.

As other reviewers have said – it is a hidden gem/secret and I would not hesitate in recommending the Gite to anyone to go and have a fabulous time there. That is why I have written this review to highly praise Mr and Mrs Battye on a great Gite of the highest standard in a beautiful village and a lovely area of France.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jules09Wales

Been to Maison Creme Anglaise? Share your experiences!