“A safari with limited wild-life”
Review of Mole National Park

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Larabanga
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Was so excited to go here, spent the 4 hours from Tamale traveling on a bumpy road in a bus and arrived with much anticipation. We had a big group and were processed quickly in the morning and that was wonderful. We had the choice of a walking tour or 4x4 jeeps on top, my group choose the jeeps to cover more ground. The guides I felt did their best to find us animals but there wasn't much, a few elephants, hogs, antelopes and some birds, an occassional annoying baboon. We saw no predators which they told us live deep in the park, well, take us there was our thought! They drove around for two hours and we got off when we spotted elephants so we could get closer and take pictures. The guides were friendly but the anticipation did not deliver with a great experience. If you go, don't expect amazing animals, and go if you have nothing else to do since getting there is a big hassle. We did not stay over and drove back to Tamale after our morning safari which we were glad we did, the hotel there did not look that inviting. The price was good and the service which was a plus.

All reviews
"east africa"
"real safari"
"close contact"

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Mole Nationaal Park was in itself, amazing. During the weekend I visited, I stayed in the Park's hotel facilities which were good by Ghanaian standard. The staff and safari activities were brilliant and by the end of the trip i really felt like I achieved something amazing. However to travel from where I was based in Hoehoe, round Lake Volta, to Larabanga was the worst journey of my life. The days were long, the journeys were treacharous and I will not lie, at one point I thought that I would never see home again. Keep your wits about you, plan as best as you can and avoid help of locals in tro-tro stations who are after commission... I ended up staying one night in something that resembled a scene from 'The Hostel.'

1  Thank MammaPea
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here a week in the end waiting for the elusive elephants - great walks, interesting guides and plenty of wildlife. Just not a lot of interesting wildlife - the elephants made a showing twice over 7 days and no predators. We did see a fresh kill on an early morning walk. Very reasonable rates for entry and safaris.

1  Thank Ramenmuncher
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had a 4 hour driving tour and had many close sightings including elephants cooling down in the watering hole and in the bush. Our guide, Adam, was very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. We saw 10 various mammals & birds. There are also foot safaris available and everything is well organised.

1  Thank sangcailloux
See more reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We came to Mole in time for a morning walk and left after an afternoon walk.

We arrive very early and first up had to wait for a while before any of the rangers arrived. But after that things went quite smoothly. We were offered to order lunch at the staff cafeteria rather than having to eat at the (more expensive) hotel restaurant. We happily agreed. Then we went for our first walk. Since we were a group of ten we were assigned our own guide. He was a knowledgeable older gentleman but his English was limited which made more detailed conversations impossible. We walked through the bushes and found monkeys, deer, birds and crocodiles but no elephants. We returned in time for lunch which was simple but delicious. The next few hours we spent at the pool (there is a 5 Cedi fee if you aren't a hotel guest). Baboons came by to entertain us by stealing food from ignorant tourists just to be chased away by members of the staff. Funny! The afternoon walk was essentially the same as the morning walk. All in all a good but not exceptional day.