“Cheap and Cheerful!”
Review of Au Coeur de Rennes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rennes-les-Bains
Au Coeur de Rennes
Miami, Florida
“Cheap and Cheerful!”
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Excellent little find! Loved Rennes and this little B&B. The English expat owner lives in house and will do dinner on request. We did not partake but the others staying did and all appeared to enjoy the food and the WINE very much. Would stay again!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Business
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2008

More then just an overnight stay

We are not ones that use B&B or Table d’Hote normally staying in 3-4 star hotels so it was with some anticipation that we decided to stay at Au Couer de Rennes in Rennes Les Bains .
We were on our annual trip from Switzerland to catch the Ferry at Barcelona and I wanted to take a couple of days to Visit the Languedoc
Like many others I have read Sepulchre by Kate Moss and became fascinated by Rennes Les Bains having checked Trip Advisor I decided to give the B&B Au Couer de Rennes a try
Our welcome was quite different than we were use to at the conventional hotel reception with Andre (the owner) welcoming us as if we were long lost friends. We were helped to our room which was spotless and very comfortable.
Andre showed us round, took us into the gardens and told us we could use the garden sit, relax and enjoy the atmosphere of Rennes les Bains.
We decided to take ourselves off and explore Rennes les Bains. My first impressions was that it was different than the picture I had in my mind from the “Sepulchre”, it was smaller more of a charming village than a small town. The Village is charming the Spa was not open as it was early May but the swimming pool was open and as it was a Bank holiday and it was full of people enjoying the first of the warm weather the river to had bathers close to were the hot spring water discharged into the river . The walk along the river is beautiful and I tried to imagine the characters from the Book doing the same my fanciful imagined picture of Rennes and the reality were beginning to transform into one place.
We stopped of at the Book shop and I found the book Rennes Le Chateau Saunieres Secret by Jean Luc Robin , We went back to the B & B and I settled down for a quick read of the book before dinner. Just a few pages into the book the author mentioned the huge numbers of Treasure Hunters that visited the area surprisingly it was not something I had considered that an area that has become famous for the secret discovery of Treasure should attract Treasure hunters. The book Instantly captivated me and one I would strongly recommend to anyone visiting the area. Also Discovering The Cathars by Lucien Bely .
We went down for a pre dinner drink and met our fellow diners four Italians and three Spanish., fortunately they could speak some English and we all sat down to dinner. The dinner was very good wholesome food with a touch of flair, cooked and served by Andre There was plenty of wine, and we learnt that our Spanish diners were in Rennes Les Bains to search for Treasure, never having met “Treasure Hunters” before we had a fascinating and exciting night of conversation. Eventually we had to tear ourselves away and retire for bed.
We had an excellent nights sleep the room was just a little cold but I think if we had asked it would have been put right in an instant by the attentive Andre.
Breakfast was good and being a coffee geek I was please to have a proper cup of coffee. Unfortunately we had to pass up an invitation to join our fellow Spanish guests to join them in their hunt for treasure, paid the bill which was a very pleasant surprise at €100 for Dinner bead and breakfast, and we left feeling we have had one of our best overnight stops for a very long time. I think the caption on the web site of Au Couer de Rennes is very apt :-
"Comfort, good food, and a warm welcome"

• Liked — Freindly, clean, excellent value
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rodney B
Louisville
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed at Au Coeur de Rennes in Summer of 2006, and I cannot wait to go back this year in the Summer of 2008. Au Coeur de Rennes is an excellent B&B, and it is an incredible value. Owner Andrew is a great cook; the meals in the evening are fantastic.

This region of France is a great place to unwind. There are numerous Cathar ruins to explore, the walled city of Carcassonne is nearby, and Rennes-Les-Chateau is just ten minutes away. After spending a day exploring the countryside, returning to this B&B for great food and great company cannot be beat.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Kosair
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I am an American Tour Operator, who has travelled 1.8 million miles. Professionally, I am used to the finest Hotels, in their categories, like Four Seasons, and Marriott, but I also love travel for my own family, and then we like to explore special places, that are not yet "discovered" by mass tourism.

The village of Rennes-Les-Bains, with it's thermal spa, and pretty little river is one of those special places in the world. Right in the center of the swirling legends so well told (created?)in hundreds of books, the most famous being the Da Vinci Code, and Holy Blood Holy Grail, this is a place to retreat from the everyday hustle and bustle, and immerse yourself in the Legends and the Spa! Apart from the commercial spa, it is still possible to take a shower in spa waters, right by the less than impressive ruins of the original Roman Spa, but you have to stand on the stones of the river bed!

Au Couer de Rennes is run by a very talented Englishman, Andrew, called Andre by his charming French wife, Elenore. It is a very old house, which has been used by spa visitors for at least a hundred years, maybe more. Andre is a truly gifted chef. My family love his food, which is always different, and made lovingly from the finest fresh ingredients, each day. I have eaten in literally thousands of French Restaurants, but rarely have I had better food, unless I want to pay three times this price.

If you have the time, come back early to watch Andre preparing his newest creation of the day, and enjoy being treated as a welcome guest.

I have now stayed in this property three times in the last three years, and cannot recommend it more highly. Meals are served in true family style, with just the right local wines, and the kind of people who stay here are generally those drawn to truly experiencing life, rather than just letting it pass by. I have had conversations with some wonderful guests over the years, not all of whom speak English, but on most nights you will find one or more English people with whom you can share local travel experiences,

The welcome is personal and heartfelt. here, you are treated as a human being, not a number to be fleeced, but as a valued guest. There are only about five rooms, each one in it's own style, so you do need to book early.

I do agree with a previous review- the only negative is that there can be more than one set of narrow, fairly steep stairs. Also there is no parking outside this property as it is in a very narrow lane. You have to park in the municipal parking which is about 400 yards away, with a moderately steep hill to climb to the car park. The first time I stayed here I was recovering from foot surgery, but I managed, and it was worth it.

This is a great place to stop, between Barcelona and Carcassonne. Beware of your GPS, if you use one, or Mapquest if you use that. They have a tendency to route you from Perpignan
through smaller and smaller roads, until you end up 20 miles down a road with no turn offs, and a farm gate preventing further passage! You then end up in the "Gorge de Galamus" which is served by a single line road, about 15 miles long. There are traffic lights in the day, but after about 5pm, they stop operating, and there are almost no passing places, plus shear drop offs on one side! There is an incredible place in there, once inhabited by a hermit, but this is a frustrating drive if you are not expecting it. If you are coming from Spain, and want to make sure you have that memorable dinner on your first night, I suggest you use the highway to Carcassonne.

The weather is great here from May-October, but the evenings can be cool, as it is in the foothills of the Pyrenees.

• Liked — You are treated warmly, as a human being
  • Disliked — Steep stairs
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank David-Sugar-Free
Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2006

This place was a real find. The village is very pretty ( population 159). Its a spa town so you can experience the waters. Its set in beautiful countryside, a walkers paradise.The rooms are adequate for your needs, very clean, and have nice touches like a kettle and fridge. As with many establishments in Europe, there are some winding stairs, (not too many) so if you have a problem with steps you may need to check this aspect. But best of all is the hospitality and the welcome you will receive from Andrew and Elenora. As well as B&B you can have your evening meal here and I highly recommend doing just that. Andrew is a talented chef. We had originally planned to eat here only on day of arrival but after our first meal we knew we couldn't get better food anywhere so we dined here all of our five nights. It was more than just good food.-It was an enriching dining experience. Everyone eats together and the food and the company was wonderful, great fun and we met lovely people. It made our holiday. Definitely highly recommend this guesthouse.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank kane-04
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We've never had another travel experience like this. We had never met these folks and yet it was as if we were visiting our dearest old friends who just happened to be gourmet chefs. The food and drink were truly wonderful. We'd go back in a minute.

Stayed December 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rennes-les-Bains
L'Hostellerie de Rennes-les-Bains
#2 of 3 in Rennes-les-Bains
Le Jardin des Gorges
Le Jardin des Gorges
#1 of 5 in Belvianes et Cavirac

Been to Au Coeur de Rennes? Share your experiences!