“A terrific Decision. The Best decision I made.”
Review of Tierra Zero Tours

Tierra Zero Tours
Ranked #4 of 12 things to do in Latacunga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tierra ero Topurs offer in Ecuador Tours to the Galapagos IslandsClimbing and Trekking in Ecuador Mountains, Cotopaxi Volcano, Chimborazo Expeditions, Cayambe Volcano, Ilinizas Rocks, Cuyabeno Jungle Ecuador Trips and more.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I was in Ecuador for roughly 2 weeks visiting a friend. We climbed Cotopaxi on Thanksgiving Nov 27 2014. One of our main goals was to attempt to climb Cotopaxi. We arrived in Lata Cunga without a guide or an outfitter. We passed many different guide companies on our way around town. We passed tierra zero after leaving our hostel and decided to stop in to see how they were outfitted. They exuded confidence in their product from the moment we walked in and were very accommodating to us. We set up the climb for the following day.

We left for the climb at around 3:00 pm, arrived at the campsite, ate food provided by them and crashed for a few hours. We woke up at 10 pm and drove to the parking area where we began the climb. We had 3 guides between the 5 of us. A very safe number!! Our guides were Fausto, Fransisco and Raul. Between the 3 of them there was 45 years of experience climbing just Cotopaxi! Fransisco had climbed the mountain 1000 + times over the years. Incredible.

The guides pushed us to keep a good pace, they know the mountain like the back of their hand so I was confident that they knew the best pace. If we were hurting or tired, they would stop to let us rest. But they worked hard for us to make it to the summit at a good time so we would be able to descend safely as well. After 6 hours of climbing we summited the mountain. The guides were incredible, and were so excited for us to make it. Fransisco gave me a huge hug at the top! It was neat to be so cared for by a group of guides when we were on the mountain. I felt completely safe too.

The gear they provided fit great and was in fantastic condition. I was absolutely amazed at their prices too!! 2-3 times cheaper than outfitters in Quito and cheaper than anybody else around! But the best part, they didn’t sacrifice anything with their lower prices. Incredible price for such an incredible experience. I plan on returning to Ecuador to climb other peaks. I will for sure be using Tierra Zero Adventures again!!!!

Thank you Tierra Zero!!!!!

Josh Brink

1  Thank Josh B
Guillermo2003, Public Relations Manager at Tierra Zero Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2014

Thank you for your review, was a pleasure for Tierra Zero Tours provide the Cotopaxi Climb, next time Chimborazo, greetings.

Guillermo by Tierra Zero

"ecuador"
in 6 reviews
"wildlife"

Reviewed November 27, 2014

Id like to take a moment to say firstly, that Tierra Zero Tours was a proud choicei made due to equipment, service and support along the whole way up and back down again' I would definetly recommend Tierra Zero Tours for anyone who is serious about their goal to the top as Guillermo Berrazueta and Pancho Fransisco did a remarkable job with food, suplies, prep work and support. Fransisco is a well trained climber and does this often with much experience which made him a great guide to the op of Cotopaxi Volcano and down again, enough said.

GuillermoLatacunga, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Tierra Zero Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2014

Thank you Joseph for the reviews, nice to meet you, see you when you come back Ecuador, Tierra Zero wait for you and Philadelphia friends.
Saludos
Guillermo by Tierra Zero Tours

Reviewed October 12, 2014

My girlfriend and I were very keen to climb Cotopaxi so did an aclimatisation trek up Iliniza Norte first, both with Tierra zero and with Fransisco as our guide. Guillermo at the office was a great help and offered us all the equipment we needed and took us for lunch before the trek. Fransisco spoke little English but enough to communicate with us to make both climb safe and we still got on great with him. The food at the Refugio was fantastic, we even got popcorn and hot chocolate. Iliniza Norte is an easy climb but it's worth doing to spend a night at altitude and the views from the top were amazing.
We did Cotopaxi the day after and could tell Fransisco was determined to get us to the top. He even lent my gf his trekking pole to help get get up the final summit. We were one of only a few groups to make it to the top that day so were very pleased.
TZ are a great company to book with, ask for Fransisco! Great value too, the cheapest we found.

Thank you Scott and Karen for the reviews, nice to meet you, your Cotopaxi pictures is very nice, Francisco send greetings, Tierra Zero Tours wait U.K. friends. Your blog is very informative. I hope see you sometime.
Saludos
Guillermo by Tierra Zero Tours

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We did the Cotipaxi climb with 2 friends and had a good overall experience.

However the guides were quite discouraging as they tried to convince us to turn back from 5100m while we were feeling well. This was weird and not very professional, we were just a bit slow since we weren't completely acclimated. In the end we reached 5700m and it was starting to be to late to continue. The sunrise was beautiful and even if the effort was painful, the experience was memorable.

The refuge was closed during our climb so we camped. The equipment was good and the agency managed to bring us food even if the cook wasn't present. The bad point was that we only had 2.5 hours to sleep because we arrived very late at the camping. We should atleast have 6 hours of rest before this 8 hours effort in very intense conditions.

The organisation was good but I put 3 stars instead of 4 to balance the ratings considering the negative attitude of the guides.

Overall I would recommend this agency anyway

See more reviews
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Every detail worked out smoothly through this agency. We arrived in Latacunga a day early to try on the equipment- we literally had nothing. They will give you everything you need. Fleece pants, waterproof pants, jacket, hat, boots, crampons, ice axe, harness, helmet, head lamp, gloves, mittens. Honestly, don't worry about the equipment- they'll hook you up. Gave us transportation the day of, lunch, dinner, a small snack before leaving the camp. On the mountain everything went great. All 9 of us summited. Every guide was very experienced- my guide was on his 768 journey up Cotopaxi. Spoke great english. I couldn't have been more happy with tierra zero, every detail was taken care of. If you want a good experience on Cotopaxi with a low price you'll book it with them- we paid $150. Guillermo, the guy I contacted for all the details before-hand was extremely helpful as well. He booked our hostel, very nice and comfortable- 15 minutes from the bus stop and right around the corner from the agency. Great experience! I have nothing negative to say.