“Beautiful spot in Bacalar”
Review of Casita Carolina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bacalar
Casita Carolina
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bacalar
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful spot in Bacalar”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Casita Carolina is a special place. The accomodations are quirky, mostly spacious and with lovely, artistic but homely decor. The garden is wonderful and its easy just to hang out there and relax and talk to other guests and Carolina. Swimming in the laguna is a wonderful experience - make sure you get out a bit to the white sandy area. There is also a fab cenote for swimming a short drive away, where you can also get breakfast. There are not many touristy things to do in Bacalar, but once you get there you just want to stay as Carolina's is so nice. It is also very inexpensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Casita Carolina ,is so beautiful that we stayed 5 nites when our intension was to stay a only 2 nites. The lake is extraordinary. The water is a gorgeous turquoise blue and only 3 feet deep all the way out to the middle, so it's perfect for swimming. The owner is American so we could speak English and clearly get tips on the surrounding area and other parts of Mexico as well. She has a lovely lounging area set up with a view over the garden and to the lake. Each nite the guest hang out there and share conversation.
We had a room with a kitchen so we saved money by doing our own cooking.
It's a great place to relax and read a book. There is also a nearby Cenote

Room Tip: It a small place but you have options ,even to sleep in a cute camping trailer or Palapa
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed one night at Casita Carolina and was very glad I did. They have a huge garden which feels pretty close to paradise... My room had everything a traveller needs and there were some other nice places to sleep on the property. There is a nice place outside where you can meet other travellers, or discuss with the owner the likelihood Leprechauns exists or not ;-) I even got a Margarita on the house (which were made by 'batch') All together one of the best places I stayed in Mexico. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Karel E
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We decided that Bacalar lake and Casita Carolina were so wonderful that we would stay 2 nights instead of 1. We spent the whole day relaxing on the lake pier and in the lovely peaceful garden. We took the onsite kayaks out on the lake which was really lovely. We paid 100 pesos for approx 1 hour. Our room was the smallest and most basic off all the rooms but had a fan with private bathroom and hot water. We paid 300 pesos per night. Such a good price for a wonderful spot. We would highly recommend staying here for a few days if you can. Lake Bacalar is the most beautiful lake in Mexico.

Room Tip: You need to phone Carolina to book as she doesn't take bookings by email.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ellie G
Xalapa, Mexico
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We were planning to stay for only one night, but the reasonable price and the amazingly beautiful lakefront view convinced us to stay two more days. The decor is retro chic, a good reflection of the owner, Caroline, who quickly makes one feel at home. I would go back.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Sinko
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Casita Carolina was the cheapest accommodation we found around Laguna de Bacalar and the place was perfect, clean and quiet. We stayed in a cute little campervan close to the lagun for 250 pesos per night.

Room Tip: The little campervan was super nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Patricia G
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Having been traveling in Latin America for 7 months, I understand that hotels get full and reservation policies differ from place to place. Having said that, after making it clear that reserving on the phone was impossible for me, I was repeatedly given the hotel number when I needed to do my reservation over email.

Upon arrival, I was told the hotel was full (understandable) but the staff denied ever having heard from me, despite the emails I had received. After further questions, I discovered the hotel was not full, they simply had an expensive room available.

After being spoken to rudely by the staff, and when they were unable to recommend a single suitable alternative hotel, I left quite upset.

I wish my experience had been even cordial since it appears to have nice grounds and accommodations, but after voicing my situation to the contact I had, I have not even been given an apology. Might not have written this review if some explanation had been given.

Stayed August 2012