“Beautiful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casita Carolina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bacalar
Casita Carolina
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bacalar
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Casita Carolina was the cheapest accommodation we found around Laguna de Bacalar and the place was perfect, clean and quiet. We stayed in a cute little campervan close to the lagun for 250 pesos per night.

Room Tip: The little campervan was super nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Patricia G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Having been traveling in Latin America for 7 months, I understand that hotels get full and reservation policies differ from place to place. Having said that, after making it clear that reserving on the phone was impossible for me, I was repeatedly given the hotel number when I needed to do my reservation over email.

Upon arrival, I was told the hotel was full (understandable) but the staff denied ever having heard from me, despite the emails I had received. After further questions, I discovered the hotel was not full, they simply had an expensive room available.

After being spoken to rudely by the staff, and when they were unable to recommend a single suitable alternative hotel, I left quite upset.

I wish my experience had been even cordial since it appears to have nice grounds and accommodations, but after voicing my situation to the contact I had, I have not even been given an apology. Might not have written this review if some explanation had been given.

Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Anna H
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We had made an email reservation and after a 12 hour journey to reach Bacalar we arrived late afternoon to be met by someone we presumed to be the gardner and told they had no rooms! He then called someone else (all Spanish speaking which was tricky on the phone) to be told they could make space for us for over twice the original price. I'm not quite sure what was going on and why they think they can treat people like this but we then had to wander around Bacalar in the evening and ended up having to sleep in a tent! What a bad way to treat people. Despite emailing the reservation email again we had no reply which says it all really.

Stayed August 2012
5 Thank AlexMLondon
Modiin, Israel
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This place has a lot of charm. the location is right on the lagoon and the property is very well maintained. we stayed in the palapa with our 2 kids and it was very comfy and pleasant. It feels like staying in your cool artists friend's house with all the little ornaments ans decorations. The atmosphere is very laid back and you can always strike a conversation in the "sofa area" while enjoying a beer in the cool breeze (honor fridge available).
Since the town itself has sort of a dusty little town feel, the Casita is a good balancing factor.

Room Tip: The round palapa is suitable for a family of 4 and is very comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Yoel T
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at Casita Carolina for a night in april 2012, and it was great. Our room was spacious, and nicely decorated. We had access to a fully equipped kitchen, and of course, the yard that leads to the lake where you could go swim, really nice. The value is great (we paid 600 pesos for our night, for 4 people), given how nice the place is. The staff was very nice, great people. We warmly recommend this place.
Bacalar per se is a quiet place, but on the Saturday we stayed there, there was a sort of festival on the main square, with a dance company, and that was great.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank thelaroche
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My boyfriend, a friend of us and I stayed in this beautiful house, we rented the 2 caravans next to the lagoon, the breeze at night was pretty cool to spend the night in our "room". After camping in Tulum the bed was more comfortable than we expected. Before going to bed we sat down in the porch with George (Jorge) with couple of beers and sharing all kinds of stories, George and his wife are so nice. If what you are looking for is a relax time in a beautiful place this is the place for it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MausChang
Edmonton
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Casita Carolina for a few days while in town to attend a wedding next door. It was a great choice of place to stay and worked out great for us. We stayed in the small room near the road, but had all we needed. Clean room, private bathroom, hot water, access to wifi in the 'lounge' area, a beautiful yard with a view, and emergency beer fridge ($20pesos/each) in case of emergency - (it's a small town, they stop selling at a certain hour).

George (hor-hay) recommended some good spots to eat and helped us rescue our broken down bike in the middle of the night.

They offer a variety of different lodging options, sure to suit the needs of most. We'd definitely go back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple