“Wonderful experience”

Active Nature Bacalar
Ranked #4 of 17 things to do in Bacalar
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
portland, oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I recently took two tours--one with Jacqueline, birdwatching, which was wonderful, and the other with Gunnar kayaking on the lake. Both were professional, informative and friendly. Gunnar has excellent equipment which is helpful if you're an avid kayaker, and is extremely knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the area. Jacqueline is equally informative and I loved both tours with them.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank terry r

Bacalar, Q. Roo
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic way to experience Laguna Bacalar actively.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Gunnar and Jacqueline will lead you on kayak tours, sailing tours, bird watching tours and feed you well. They are extremely knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the surrounding area as well as the greater Yucatan Penninsula. So they will be able to point you in the direction of other great places to explore after you are done with Bacalar.

Visited May 2013
Arlington Heights, Illinois
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Helpful couple providing a variety of activities to enjoy Laguna Bacalar.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The German couple that run Active Nature and Ecotucan Villas were knowledgable and helpful. I contacted them by email at the beginning of our trip to arrange a day and activity during our visit to Laguna Bacalar.

We decided upon a kayak trip on the lake and through the Mangroves. My husband, 2 daughters, and I had to learn how to kayak and needed much help from Gunnar in the mangroves when we got stuck. Along the trip Gunnar pointed out the various flora and fauna of the region.

The grounds of their cabin rentals is absolutely beautiful.

Visited March 2013
Rosscarbery, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“2 day kayak on Lake Bacalar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Jacqueline and Gunnar run Active Nature Bacalar, and also seem to manage Villas Ecotucan - qute a feat but they make it seem effortless! My wife and I wanted to do a bit of kayaking and signed up for Active Natures 2 day kayak and camping trip on Lake Bacalar. Gunnar led the trip, with his exquisitely crafted homemade kayak and we also used an outrigger canoe made by Gunnar. Both vessels were safe and comfortable, the canoe in particular allowed us to bring a few extra bits like my long lens camera for nature photography. Other kayak options are available. Gunnar was pleasant company, allowing the peace of the wild places space to take over, but informative and engaging when required. My wife is a moderately experienced paddler - I am not! I therefore spent my whole time in the very stable canoe.
The lake is beautiful, and we had a really great couple of days, paddling down to the south end on the first day, and having a snorkle on the 'rapids' (placid rapids!) then setting up camp for the night in a nice little campsite. There were some nice stops and snack breaks along the way. Gunnar prepared a lovely meal that evening, and breakfast the next morning was outstanding. The food was way better than we expected on a camping trip.The following day was the northward paddle and return to Villas Ecotucan for dinner.
I must admit that I found the latter stages of the trip quite tiring, as did my wife, but it was a mildly challenging tiredness rather than all out exhaustion - the kind of tiredness that makes you feel like you've achieved something!
As a birder I found the latter stages of the trip (the mangrove forests) a little dull, more of the same in the last few hours, but there were some fantastic wildlife moments during the trip, and I'm very sure that had we taken another trip the quiet parts may well have been busier - that's the joy of wildlife watching - you never know! There are other routes available on the lake too.
All in all it was a great trip, and one that we both remember happily, and would gladly repeat if we should ever return to Mexico. Thanks Gunnar and Jacqueline for a simply wonderful time, and wishing you the best of success in the future.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Ciaran C
ecotucan, Owner at Active Nature Bacalar, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience and especially the nice pictures. We hope to go on an adventure again together. By the way, we have the woodstorks nesting on one of the islands in front of Bacalar now.
Take care and Saludos from Bacalar, Gunnar & Jacqueline