Cabanas, Hostal y Camping "Magic Bacalar"
Paris, France
“Paradise”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I still don't even know how I got there but I surely don't regret. The hotel is amazing, the owner is the nicest person he will make you feel like home and help you with everything. It has a direct access to the Laguna, you are allow to pick up basil, oregan and other stuffs from the garden, even coco in the morning :)
The most relaxing place i have ever been.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at magic for one night. The whole place is built Maya style, with much thought about every detail. There is a nice kitchen and dining area, access to the lagoon with an option to rent kayaks and a dock. We loved the outdoor (but private and cleen) showers.
The dorm is a bit crowded but there are mosquito nets for every bed. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The most magic part of Magic Bacalar is Silvia. Delicious and affordably priced her meals are available from the reception. I asked her to marry me but she settled on adopting instead. Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner do yourself a favour and eat at least one of her meals.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Hostel is a nice, dreamy little place with friendly staff and very good breakfast (included).
A couple of notes though: I wouldn't suggest getting a tent- you're either going to be roasting hot, or stuck in torrential rain (if you're going between June-sept).
Unfortunately the main dorms are very overcrowded and they felt like something out of M*A*S*H. Even one less bed in the room would have made a big difference however, with very few budget options in bacalar, the owners at magic are squeezing every last peso out of their guests. Although I enjoyed my stay, I was shocked to hear that a plastic log of a kayak rental was 520 pesos for a few hours (WHAT?!?). To put this into perspective, I rented a moped on isla mujeres (a far more expensive island) for 350pes for 24 hours.
If you're into kayaking, my suggestion would be to stay somewhere more expensive that has kayaks included in the cost.

On the second night of our stay, a bus load of people on a tour arrived and proceeded to set up tents all over the place. In total, there was over 15 new guests, on top of the already full hostel. Normally I'd be cool with this, but there's only 2 showers and 3 toilets, so naturally things became very crowded and uncomfortable. The manager never mentioned anything to us about these people arriving, which would have been nice to know as suddenly the place went from being relaxing to chaotic. Again, I couldn't help but feel like the owners were squeezing people in to make more money. Ugh. Not good.
I'm not sure I'd stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I spent two nights in this very nice place located right on the Bacalar Lagoon in July 2013.

When we got to Bacalar town, we didn't know where to go because the few places we knew where closed or full. It seems that this place is not very well advertised, since the tourist office and most of the people in town didn't point it out to us. We got lucky and we eventually found it – it was very late at night – thanks to a local guy who literally walked us there. The owner (Denis) was ready to attend us even at that hour. Great!

The place was formerly Denis' vacation house, which he then converted into this camping/hostel place.
The office and common "lounge" (open-air) are located outside the gate of the property, in a nice house where the owner lives when he's there. They have free purified water and can give you lots of tips and arrange tours of the lagoon. Denis is very enthusiastic of this place and expresses this passion to every single guest. I think this is very cool.
This area is also the place where breakfast is served in the morning. The option is to have breakfast included and spend a bit more, or make your own and pay less (at least for the dorm). It is really nice though so if you don't really have to save money I would get it.

Inside the property, there are four main constructions:
- The dorm room, with the kitchen and small dining room connected. I stayed in this room and honestly, I think it's a bit small, but the mosquito nets give you some privacy while you are in bed. You can't spend time in the room other than sleeping though, in my opinion! You don't really want too, either, since the garden and the deck on the lagoon are amazing!
- The outdoor kitchen with lockers and table. Here you can use the few utensils and pots to cook your meal if you are camping in the green area. Watch out for mosquitoes though!
- The bathrooms and showers. These are two small thatched constructions with 3 toilets and 2 hot showers. Pretty rustic style, but I liked it. One drawback, there is no sink... Well, there is a faucet with a bucket underneath.... But I wouldn't call that a sink. It is true that you can use the sinks in the two kitchens, though.
- The private cabañas on the side of the lagoon. I haven't seen them inside, but they look lovely from the outside! A couple of hammocks on the front porch too.

All around this is the beautiful garden. And then, a few steps away, the gorgeous access to the lagoon through a wooden dock which is perfect to just relax and sun-bathe, jumping in the clear water from time to time to cool down.

I would totally recommend this place. Also, if you have time and some extra cash, take the kayak tour to explore the lagoon and the birds island.

Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Whistler
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After getting off the bus in Bacalar I was a bit nervous in that no one knew the hostel and the taxi driver drove us to two wrong hotels but we finally got here, and WOW it was beautiful. We stayed in the bungalow which is quiet and peaceful and only steps away from the most beautiful water that i swam in during my travels in Central America. The owner is friendly and kind hearted and he always helped us when he could and the staff would prepare us delicious meals for $3us and the breakfast was the best i've ever had whilst travelling through hostels. I travelled from Cancun down to San Jose in Costa Rica and the Magic Bacalar was my favourite place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Timmymcg
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It was great to stay there!!!Very clean place, such nice people working there, the dorm is good, there are two kitchen you can use, the price was good for what you get there. Good breakfast (only coffee was disappointing for some real italian guys :) ), really good information by the guys there. You can (must!) rent a Kayak for some hours and visit the laguna. Or rent a bike and visit the pueblo, the mirador and the cenote azul.
From the hostal/camping you have a direct access to the lagune, which is the most beautiful we saw in all Mexico.
There are just a few tourists but not many, so it's quite calm there and you can hangout there in the hamacas :) And if you are alone and want to talk to somebody you can talk to Senorita Silvia :) she's is such a nice,warm person!!!
Go there and enjoy it!!! We had a great time there and really it's a magic place...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple