“Gorgeous place!”

Cabanas, Hostal y Camping "Magic Bacalar"
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It was great to stay there!!!Very clean place, such nice people working there, the dorm is good, there are two kitchen you can use, the price was good for what you get there. Good breakfast (only coffee was disappointing for some real italian guys :) ), really good information by the guys there. You can (must!) rent a Kayak for some hours and visit the laguna. Or rent a bike and visit the pueblo, the mirador and the cenote azul.
From the hostal/camping you have a direct access to the lagune, which is the most beautiful we saw in all Mexico.
There are just a few tourists but not many, so it's quite calm there and you can hangout there in the hamacas :) And if you are alone and want to talk to somebody you can talk to Senorita Silvia :) she's is such a nice,warm person!!!
Go there and enjoy it!!! We had a great time there and really it's a magic place...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I loved the ambience of the campground. I loved the outdoor living, the outdoor shower and the outdoor toilet. When I was there, we only had one shower and one toilet for about 16 guests. Which seems a bit extreme. However, no problems and always clean.
I stayed in the cabin by the lake. It was really nice. I had the "private" room in the loft but it wasn't really private at all. So, if you stay there, don't expect privacy. I liked the dorm downstairs which has a comfy seating area and kitchen and a couple of bureaus with locks to put valuables in.The veranda had two hammocks, which I loved. My only complaint is that the room was way too expensive. I think the people in the dorm downstairs paid half of what I did. Denis and the cook/cleaning lady whose name escapes me, were both really friendly and helpful. Good vibe in the place. The dining area is a bit rustic but I met really interesting people there and the breakfasts were excellent.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the private room if you really want privacy. The cabana at lakeside is a dream...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It feels trite to say, but I cannot help myself...staying at Magic Bacalar was absolutely magical! The staff are extremely helpful, warm, wonderful people. The grounds are extremely clean, and well kept, the beds are wonderfully comfy, and the location cannot be beat. We had planned on staying for two days and we stayed for 4! I also really appreciate that they have two kitchens, an indoor and an outdoor, very helpful come dinner time!:)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Fantastic place right on the lake, stayed in a double room, really clean and comfy and nicely rustic. Staff so helpful and friendly, they cooked us a delicious supper and breakfast was great too. Took some kayaks out on the lake too. Was a great stay, wish could could have been there longer

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I actually came here on accident. I arrived in Chetumal from Belize, realizing there wasn't any decent budget options in town. I took a collectivo ($20 pesos) to Bacalar, following a lead from Lonely Planet. I arrive in pouring rain and have the taxi take me there--However the hostel listed in LP appeared to be closed. In a bit of a panic I asked the driver if there was another cheap option. He dropped me at Magic.

I was relieved to find a great hostel/camp ground on the lovely lake. Though the dorms are a tad cramped, the beds are quite comfy and covered in Mosquito nets. Ask to see if the dorms near the water are free--they seem really cool with a waterfront porch With hammocks, lounge chairs, etc. There is a kitchen (but bring your own knife -the one here is a joke). The outdoor shower is amazing, with hot water. However there's just one bathroom for the whole hostel/campground.

As I arrived in the pouring rain after a long day of travel, I was very hungry and asked the woman running the hostel if they had food --she offered to make me the breakfast option. I was happy to have food- eggs and tortillas, but disappointed to pay 70 pesos for it.

I think I definitely would have stayed longer had there been more people there (I'm traveling alone) and had the weather not been crap (there's little to do here in rainy weather) plus no wifi.

But if heading to Tulum or Playa del Carmen from Belize, Bacalar makes an ideal stopping point.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Undoubtedly one of the nicest place I have been, relax and tranquility at their best. A must see, take a trip on a kayak or sail quietly on the amazing colorful lagoon.
Friendly service, very good value for money... Plan an extra day on your trip and indulge in this unique "MAGIC" place.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 21, 2012

There really are no words to describe this place, but i will do my best. It is so special that you almost want to keep it a secret so the magic spell isn't broken or something. Even the pictures i will post don't capture how absolutely stunning this place is. The dorm is spotless, mosquito nets are provided (this is for a reason people, wear your repellent! =), the grounds are immaculate, the bathroom and shower are charming and well built. There is no wifi, but that actually turns out to add to the charm and sense of peace you will find there. You can get wifi in town, and it's a nice bike ride or walk anyway. The best part? You can literally wake up and stroll down to the lagoon for a morning swim and just stay there all day looking at the gorgeous water. The view is spectacular. They rent bikes and kayaks, and I recommend doing both. The bikes are great for getting around town and doing your shopping and a moonlight kayak ride is just, well, I'm speechless really. Met some great travellers who I am still in contact with - and Marco, the manager, is AWESOME. I had only intended on staying a couple of days, and it took me like TEN to pull myself away from this place... but i took it with me. =) I will never forget my time there, and I will definitely go back. Can't recommend this place enough. GO and see for yourself. It's magically delicious. =) *But keep it a secret, yeah?*

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo