“Wow!! Great location”
Review of Rancho Encantado

Rancho Encantado
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bacalar
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stay at the hotel because we wanted a relax vacation, and we did!!

The staff is awesome, Vicky from the masage hut excellent!! The food is amazing!!

We stay at the log that is located infront of the laggon, it has its own peer and every morning you can relax watching the sunrise!!

The water is so warm!!

Just bring your bugspray!

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for Rancho Encantado

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Last year my 91 year old father and I spent 2 nights at this hotel, this year we spent our entire trip staying at this hotel. My father wanted to return because he loved the rural location, being able to sit outside to enjoy the birds and the scenery, and the wonderful cabins. He has limited mobility, but this hotel offers handicapped equipped rooms and the paths between the rooms, the restaurant and the spa are all paved so it is easy to get around in a wheelchair or scooter. We chose a room that was not entirely accessible (small step up to the porch), so within 1/2 hour the staff constructed a small ramp so my Dad could get his scooter up on the porch.

The food is excellent and there was plenty of variety. On weekends there is a buffet for breakfast which is very nice - during the week it is a served meal.

The staff is very helpful and friendly - we felt like we were staying with close friends.

I would highly recommend this hotel/resort to both handicapped and non-handicapped people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan V
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed only one night but we regret to spend more days in Rancho Encantado!
The rooms were very clean, spectacular view, around a lot of trees and beautiful landscape, the restaurant has an excellent chef, the food was awesome, gorgeous chef!! congratulations!! the restaurant is next to the lagoon, so you can have a beautiful breakfast with a great view. In the morning we took a yoga class, and it was amazing-relaxing with the view. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: garden room with a/c the best because it´s up, so you can see the landscape
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Wow! We had a bungalow right by the lake-shore and it was something unforgettable! The rooms were big, clean and modern, which makes you feel comfortable. Perfect showers as the water pressure is optimal. We had a gorgeous time in Rancho Encantado!
The girl at the Front Desk spoke very good English which made things easy, she was also very nice to us.
The restaurant was a little bit below our expectations, the waiter's English is not that good and nor the food was outstanding. But I hope it will become better as the hotel is really amazing!

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows which are right in front of the lake!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were planning to spend a weekend at Bacalar and as the vacations planning manager of the house I looked on tripadvisor for the best places and tips, our first choice was Akalki, but they were full, so our second choice was Rancho Encantado, but I'm happy that we had the chance to stay here, Nelly at the reservations office was nice and clear answering my questions. The cabana is nice (we got the Laguna front w/o AC), more than I expected, it has 2 hammocks at the front, 2 single beds and 1 double, and in the night you can hear the water as a relaxing smooth melody. The jacuzzi is good, it's clean but because of the leaves falling around it could look cleaner. Alexa is the operations manager, she was so kind to have our room ready although we arrived early; she and Viviana, helped us to arrange a tour in the Laguna with an external captain (it was so strange that being and hotel and, I suppose, having high occupancy on the weekends, their own captain has his days off on the weekend, maybe revenue is not important for them, but that is an hotelier opinion), the tour was great, a little expensive but I enjoyed, Captain Edwyn was great, attentive, respectful and very knowledgeable about the area (please don't miss the rapids!!). The restaurant is a must, we tried the fish ceviche, nicely served and a superb taste, with every flavor well mixed. The jacuzzi gave us the chance to hang with some other guests, we had some pinas coladas, it would be good I'd they have had a wider variety of cocktails, also you have to go to the bar to order, or if you are lucky someone would pass by and ask for it (I guess that they have 2 waiters per shift, one of them could go every 20 Minutes to check if someone needs something). The dinner was good, the fish was fresh, and the spaghetti with shrimps were good too. The night we stayed was fresh, there were no need for the AC, and I am an AC person, but I'm not so sure if would be the case in other less windy days. If you want a nicely maintained, clean and relaxing place with a very attentive and caring staff, excellent food, and also with a good Value for price paid go to Rancho Encantado.

Tip, go to the Balneario Ejidal in town to enjoy the lagoon

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed in a casita jardin (waterfront with ceiling fan), no need for AC.
The room/casita was gorgeous and super comfortable, the grounds very attractive and well maintained. Lake Bacalar is superb, and the boat excursion is well worth it. The food, specially the fish tacos, is excellent. The hotel is a bit isolated from the town of Bacalar. The only disappointment was the jacuzzi. Not clean, water green and murky, lukewarm, jets not working, the tarp cover thrown to the side...except for this, it would have been perfect

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been in Rancho Encantado many times.
The owner wants to have more rooms so it´s loosing the "encantado"
Growing too much for my taste and too fast.
I used to love their breakfast. Now it is only buffet when they are crowded.
They are always crowded.
I think they don`t deserve the ECO-hotel title anymore :(

Room Tip: go for the lagoon cabañanas. Number 12, 11 ,10, 9 Number 8 is the best but it`s always booked!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Belen L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bacalar
Villas Bakalar
#2 of 20 in Chetumal
Bacalar Lagoon Resort
Bacalar Lagoon Resort
#2 of 48 in Bacalar

Been to Rancho Encantado? Share your experiences!