We stayed 3 nights at Rancho Encantado, between stops at Puerto Morelos and near Calakmul. We had our own car and went to the ruins at Oxtankah & Chaccoben, as well as the town of Bacalar, rather than some of the longer trips you can easily do, for example to Kohunlich.
We loved the lakeside cabin with two hammocks and two loungers. Very peaceful. The rooms were well planned, feeling spacious and with good storage. We ate in the restaurant a couple of times for both lunch and dinner, and had breakfast at the hotel all three days. The service was awful on the first breakfast, which we put down to a group of four, and a group of six, as well as lots of couples all arriving as soon as the restaurant opened at 07.30. We waited for a long time before a menu came, then a while before our order was taken and then a while before all the drinks and food arrived at the same time. All in all, we were probably waiting 45 minutes before we received the meal. However, service was much better the second day, with drinks coming quickly and food shortly after. The third day, a Saturday, was a buffet breakfast and this worked well with a good selection.
We enjoyed eating breakfast on the little dock lakeside outside the restaurant, as well as having a cocktail at sunset in the hammocks on the dock that stretches out into the lake.
Proximity to the road is both a good and a bad thing - it's easy to find and to get about for day trips, but the road is busy all night and you can hear the trucks from all of the cabins.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just a little more than half an hour away from the capital city of Chetumal and its airport, and about the same distance to the border with the country of Belize, Rancho Encantado is situated on the shores of the pristine waters of Laguna Bacalar. This area, in the southernmost part of the Yucatan Peninsula, is just at the point of developing as a tourist destination for the eco-minded traveler who seeks escape from the larger, often over-developed areas of the northern part of the Peninsula. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Orbitz so you can book your Rancho Encantado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Encantado Hotel Bacalar
- Rancho Encantado Laguna Bacalar