“Quiet Getaway”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bacalar
Los Angeles, California
“Quiet Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I spent the first 2 nights of our honeymoon here. The drive from Cancun (total 4 hours) wasn't as bad as we thought. We drove during the day, was not scary at all aside from the tarantulas that cross the road half way on our drive. We never felt in danger while stopping for gas or driving through the little pueblos. It is one long highway so it would be very hard to get lost. Just keep a lookout for the Bacalar sign on the road. You will then see the Akalki sign on the left.
Once you arrive you will be pleased with the beauty of this place. Your overwater cabana is simple but that's the reason you are here, to get away for a few days.
My wife and I stayed for 2 days thinking we would need it to unwind from all the planning of the wedding but maybe it was a bit too quiet, so we would recommend a 1 day stay would suffice, 2 at most. There is some WIFI signal but it's not the greatest.
Everything is powered by solar energy. Do not take any open food containers as tiny little ants WILL get to them, and possibly to you! The ceiling fan is outside of mosquito net, while other locations have it inside. Keep in mind, there is no AC and this truly is a cabana. You get the camping-type of feel but in a beautiful lagoon location.
Restaurant food was good! Other reviews warned of their bland food; however, we weren't ever dissatisfied with any meal we ordered. I recommend the Cochinita Pibil and their Sampler.
Staff was nice and service at the restaurant was good.
Fair warning, the lagoon water can be quite cold in mid-September (at least for us).
TIP: We got bit a lot by mosquitos and maybe ants here. Take a strong bug repellant with you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

There was some confusion with payment of my reservation deposit through Paypal and Akal Ki canceled my reservation without notifying me, even though they did receive my $258 payment according to Paypal, and according to my credit card statement. I discovered the cancelation by accident only 2 days before our vacation when I emailed to find out if they could help me arrange a birthday surprise for my husband. Akal Ki said they were fully booked and they refused to look into the issue of the paid deposit. Not only did they neglect to apologize for the mix up, they actually hung up on me when I called and refused to answer the phone when I called back. They also would not return my emails, or emails sent by Paypal. Fortunately, I paid with my American Express card and I hope to get reimbursed eventually, but not with the help of Akal Ki. From photographs Akal Ki looks like a beautiful place, but I did not get the chance to see what the property looks like because I had to book another hotel last minute. Based on my experience and what I learned while I was in the Bacalar region, Akal Ki is run by dishonest people who are only interested in short term gain...and not at all interested in ensuring a great experience for their guests. Don't risk ruining your vacation by booking with Akal Ki.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank travelflowers
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We paid for our reservation before our check in time and waited at the location for hours. When we're checking in at the front desk we were right there informed that the owner had let the people in the cabana (the one we had paid for already) stay another night. They did returned our money but ruined our hole trip there! We has to drive back to Cancun for more than 3 hours :(
Even though the place is amazing I would never risk my vacation again at this location ever again.

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank Anacriss21
glendale arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed for one night in this beautiful complex if you are looking for a place just to relax and enjoy nature this is the place you can use kayaks for free nice place for honeymooners pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: any room on this complex has a nice view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I read some of the reviews. Let me tell you my impressions about AKALKI.
The place is impressive! Even if the hotel is not great, the place makes it all. But, lets talk about the hotel: Installations are very nice. Is not a four seasons, but is quite good. Clean, commodities are good. Some nice details. The view from your bed is incomparable! Taking a bad in the morning with open view of this incredible lagoon in fantastic!

What would I change? The food. It is OK. But they could do more! We are in Mexico! Come on, flavor is essential! Some of the plates have no flavor. The service is very good. The local people that works in the Hotel are very attentive. Maybe they don't know how to pronounce "chardonnay" but thats ok for me!

I have traveled to many places around the world, and let me tell you.... this place is unique! You have to come! Don't criticize to much the food, the pillows, etc. Just come and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vmoralesc
Athens Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I cannot recommend this Hotel enough. Having travelled extensively in Mexico and world wide, this has been a truly unique experience. The rooms/cabanas are beautiful, every detail is thought out with love, the views on to the Laguna de Bacalar are magical. The serenity and great respect to nature, are one of the most outstanding features. The staff is extraordinary, kind and thoughtful. The restaurant accessible all day and the quality of the ingredients of the food is spectacular, the menu is varied well thought out and fresh. My gratitude to Maria Esther, who through her warmth and kindness made my stay memorable, while still running the hotel in the most professional of manners. Transmitting a peace and welcoming that one experiences in very few places. Will look forward to my next visit there. With gratitude,
Daphne,

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing - the suites 6 and 7 especially.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife, two friends and I traveled from our home in Puerto Aventuras, Q. Roo, Mexico where we live in the winter to visit this wonderful fresh water lake area near Chetumal. The cabins are located on stilts over the water and offer the ability for guests to swim in the beautiful clear lake at their convenience, clothed or not. My wife and I very much enjoyed that convenience, as did our two friend in another cottage.
The rooms were clean, and pretty, and reminded us of the "tents" we experienced on safari in Africa: limited lighting, no electrical outlets (a blessing because there was no music from other cottages, nor ours), and very quiet.
We were happy with the restaurant, and while the menu was limited, we were used to this having lived in rural Mexico (versus Mexico City) for years, and you don't come to the Yucatan Peninsula for fine food. Overall the food was good, and we had excellent, attentive service. It seems as if the Management has taken some of the previous negative comments to heart. The masseuse was great, we had a lovely pontoon boat ride with three great hosts, and all in all it was a great experience. It is pricey, but worth it.

Room Tip: Book one of the rooms on the lake; most are, but there are a couple of rooms back just a bit.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends